DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

SANZC02, At least for me, it looks like a subscription is needed to the industry publication carrying the story. I'll try to find this news elsewhere, but it is good news indeed, if we're going to have more choices in the future!

Thanks for the heads-up!

OP
OP
SANZC02

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
SANZC02, At least for me, it looks like a subscription is needed to the industry publication carrying the story. I'll try to find this news elsewhere, but it is good news indeed, if we're going to have more choices in the future!

Thanks for the heads-up!
Here is another link, it does not mention EV but most of the other details are the same. Does not look like a subscription for this one.

https://www.tirereview.com/pirelli-scorpion-as-plus-3/

Cam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Would I be correct assuming this is the tire that will come with the 22" wheel option?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Reactions: Cam

Sponsored

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
It seems more like this becomes an option when we replace tires down the road for all 3 sizes, if Pirelli does this right.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
SANZCO2,

Thanks for the article. While the news of more options for all of is great, let's hope they include another 21-inch option for those choosing that sized wheel.
Pirelli does not currently list any 21" offerings for this new tire, perhaps in the future.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I wonder why Rivian is using 21” as the default. That’s such an uncommon size. Their main tire supplier only makes a single model in the correct size for that wheel.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I wonder why Rivian is using 21” as the default. That’s such an uncommon size. Their main tire supplier only makes a single model in the correct size for that wheel.
21”: It is an odd size with very few options. The new Acura MDX Type S will also have a 21” performance tire. Why not just go with a 22” of which there are many more of?

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
My guess, is that they are trying to keep the same ride height for the vehicle across all three tire types.

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
21”: It is an odd size with very few options. The new Acura MDX Type S will also have a 21” performance tire. Why not just go with a 22” of which there are many more of?
The population size is outrageously small so we can’t really say, but my hunch is that 2 different teams have independently arrived at the conclusion that, given certain drivetrain and suspension parameters, 21” wheels offer the best ride/efficiency compromise. We’re just witnessing the tire industry adapt to this conclusion?

The same thing happened with Ford and Toyota hybrid systems. Ford set out to design a hybrid eCVT drivetrain and independently came up with a design that infringed on Toyota’s patents, so they had to license it anyway. Good engineering repeats itself.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
Would I be correct assuming this is the tire that will come with the 22" wheel option?
per the article,
“The Scorpion AS Plus 3 will be available in 37 sizes and will span 17- to 22-in. fitments.”

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Pirelli does not currently list any 21" offerings for this new tire, perhaps in the future.
You are correct. I just went through Pirelli's catalog and was surprised to see that gap. After reading the following line from the article, I wrongfully assumed they would include a few 21-inch versions: "The Scorpion AS Plus 3 will be available in 37 sizes and will span 17- to 22-in. fitments." I think of a "span" as filling an entire gap, pardon the pun.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I think of a "span" as filling an entire gap, pardon the pun.
Keep 'em coming. I think it is beyond restraint for those of us with the pun affliction, but at least you know you have some support.
Sponsored