Sponsored

Please Rivian give us the auto side mirror fold feature ...

iBang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Rivian R1T Adventure
I have two car garage that holds Tesla Model S and Rivian R1T. The space is pretty tight so I programmed my Tesla to automatically fold the mirror when it senses that I am trying to pull into the garage. Conversely the car auto unfolds the mirror when I drive away from my home. I think Rivian can do the same thing since it has proximity sensor. If Rivian can implement this feature then it would be super helpful. Please Rivian how about including this feature on your next update? Please please...
Sponsored

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Definitely a cool idea, but I couldn't even imagine parking in a garage so tight that a side mirror folded in would make a difference. It must be difficult getting in/out of the vehicle, no?

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Hm, I had a Tesla before. How did you "program" your Tesla to do this?

I don't think this would be a useful feature since it would be triggered in cases where you weren't that close to something. And in those cases you WANT your mirror to be out to see the sides.

I can see it closing when you are within an inch of something but that would be tougher to implement. I back in where my driver's side mirror comes about 1cm from the side where it would be nice to fold in (temporarily) but when I pass the threshold, I would like it immediately to fold back out so I can see again.

While this feature might be beneficial, it would only help a VERY small population of Rivian users I think.

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
I don't think this would be a useful feature since it would be triggered in cases where you weren't that close to something. And in those cases you WANT your mirror to be out to see the sides.
I think the OP meant when in proximity to his home garage that the mirrors would automatically fold in...Basically when you can open the garage from your steering wheel, and only then.

GRC

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
still figuring it out
Clubs

I am in a similar predicament and would greatly benefit from this - Dont have my R1s yet but today I manually close my SUV's mirrors before going in so I can get in and manually open after backing out - it is a tight fit

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

You people that don't use mirrors scare me. Tight quarters is exactly when you need them most.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
I can see it closing when you are within an inch of something but that would be tougher to implement. I back in where my driver's side mirror comes about 1cm from the side where it would be nice to fold in (temporarily) but when I pass the threshold, I would like it immediately to fold back out so I can see again.

While this feature might be beneficial, it would only help a VERY small population of Rivian users I think.
I think you hit the nail on the head here... this would only be useful for a such a small percentage of owners, that it doesn't seem worth the trouble. Maybe Rivian can ad a section of dockable quick keys, so you can ad your own set of functions that you always use to the top of the screen. That way you can hit the button as you approach and not have to search for it.

RDMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Definitely a cool idea, but I couldn't even imagine parking in a garage so tight that a side mirror folded in would make a difference. It must be difficult getting in/out of the vehicle, no?
Absolutely agree. Older two car garages don’t support having 2 SUVs in today’s sizes. The proximity mirror is in daily use in our Tesla. I dislike having to touch this tiny icon to hit a slightly less tiny icon to fold mirrors. They have proximity for the garage door already. Please Rivian!

Sonoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have two car garage that holds Tesla Model S and Rivian R1T. The space is pretty tight so I programmed my Tesla to automatically fold the mirror when it senses that I am trying to pull into the garage. Conversely the car auto unfolds the mirror when I drive away from my home. I think Rivian can do the same thing since it has proximity sensor. If Rivian can implement this feature then it would be super helpful. Please Rivian how about including this feature on your next update? Please please...
Agreed. I've already lost one mirror to side of the garage door to the tune of $1,200

Sponsored

OP
OP

iBang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Rivian R1T Adventure
Agreed. I've already lost one mirror to side of the garage door to the tune of $1,200
Ouch! This is exactly I am worried about. Whenever I pull in/out of garage it would hit the side mirror unless I fold them. Tesla's Homelink setting has feature that auto fold/unfold at home and it's super convenient. It basically folds the mirror when my garage door is open and unfolds when I leave home. Tesla had this feature ever since I bought the car in 2018 so why not Rivian?

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Hm, I had a Tesla before. How did you "program" your Tesla to do this?

I don't park our R1T in the garage but I think a great idea would be is if when you program your garage door within the system, when you press the button (and you are either parked by your garage or you are close by and doing less than 5mph), it will automatically fold your mirrors.

R1SFamilyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
I do software things
I was going to make a post to current owners asking if this is a feature. My garage isn’t tight but the entryway is. I thought auto fold-in was already a feature? As long it’s just a button to hit before parking, I’m fine for now…awaiting delivery info on my shop order.

also, wanting (preference) to park inside for charging in all weather

dcramm

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Fold mirror feature activates when garage door button is pressed open. While in garage deactivates the auto unfold on unlock. Leave garage, close door, unfold mirrors. Seems like an easy software optional feature. I like it!
Sponsored