Sponsored

Pod lighting, aux, off-road, flood, lightbar -- anyone install these?

bmedfo1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T launch edition 20" AT Carbon wrap
Occupation
CFO
Who has added Aux lighting? or are any company's making a good kit.
(I know 1EV has the a pillar kit with the 4 bangers but I'm not a fan of the keyfob and $300 over the price of the lights is a bit much if im only using the bracket)

My thoughts just to hopefully spur some conversation

Mounting
  • Something could be mounted on the tow hooks on the front
    • You can find clamps on amazon for $20 but there is not a lot of clearance from the bumper
  • Pods or light bar on the roof using the existing mounting points
    • Small 3" pods should not have a drastic arow impact
    • Maybe even with something for arrow with a light bar
  • Flush mount in the center under the light bar (would be cool but dont know if there is room behind there and most will not want to cut the holes)
  • a pillar- Is anyone else making an A pillar bracket and or kit?
  • A full rack on top with integrated lights like that SEMA white truck would be cool
wiring
  • I would love to tap the auto high beams (please lets not get into opinions of when lights should be used)
    • seems like the back of the headlights might be tricky to get to
  • has anyone added a switch inside yet? easy to do, just wondering where would be cleanest
  • Do we think that there will ever be a OTA update that gives us on screen aux switches (maybe to a spare in the fusebox)
  • We could even tap into the signal for the fogs as they require action in odder to turn them on every time
    • this would also give an nice indicator on the dash and need no additional switch.
  • anyone run power to the roof yet?
Sponsored

Rally1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, VS30, LR4, LR3
OP
OP
bmedfo1

bmedfo1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CFO
These guys built and wired an R1S snd R1T for SEMA a few months ago. Parts of the build are starting to come to production.

https://www.weistec.com/rivian.html

I had seen this truck and video but the link was helpful as I did not know they already had the A piller mounts ready. unfortunately their design has it sitting much higher than the 1EV with that cut out logo under it. also I would prefer Black but nice to have another option.

Rivian R1T R1S Pod lighting, aux, off-road, flood, lightbar -- anyone install these? 1673885188201
Rivian R1T R1S Pod lighting, aux, off-road, flood, lightbar -- anyone install these? 1673885250802

electricRaptor

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cloud Architect
I ordered the DCE pod light mount kit and finally installed them this evening. Pretty simple to get the brackets on. Now have my Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro’s on there. Just need to find a good harness with remote… or determine how to wire them into the cabin.
Rivian R1T R1S Pod lighting, aux, off-road, flood, lightbar -- anyone install these? A59C98EE-E049-4BA1-9BC4-E7180CE6D275
Rivian R1T R1S Pod lighting, aux, off-road, flood, lightbar -- anyone install these? 912701DE-A4CD-4335-90C5-C897EEDF6ED5
Rivian R1T R1S Pod lighting, aux, off-road, flood, lightbar -- anyone install these? 22D9CA37-4CDA-4C46-90D1-6159F4EE5622

Also I have orange covers for wintery things.

OP
OP
bmedfo1

bmedfo1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CFO
@electricRaptor Love the DD SS3 Pros on the truck. have you though about trying to wire the relay to either the bights or the fog light switch. Im still toying with how I want to setup aux lights but because of how nice our interior is with almost every inch either leather wrapped or wood its hard to find a good spot for even a small switch and I just don't like the idea of a Fob. I will probably be attempting to add some of these (see below) mounted on the front recovery hooks with the bright lights signaling them to turn on. I am aware it is not lawful to run these lights on the road.

Rivian R1T R1S Pod lighting, aux, off-road, flood, lightbar -- anyone install these? 1674075490126

https://www.kchilites.com/flex-era-...81sPHqTFghx1R_fhw2RJ8I9eeTw8NithoCQUoQAvD_BwE

Sponsored

electricRaptor

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cloud Architect
Also I have orange covers for wintery things.
@electricRaptor Love the DD SS3 Pros on the truck. have you though about trying to wire the relay to either the bights or the fog light switch. Im still toying with how I want to setup aux lights but because of how nice our interior is with almost every inch either leather wrapped or wood its hard to find a good spot for even a small switch and I just don't like the idea of a Fob. I will probably be attempting to add some of these (see below) mounted on the front recovery hooks with the bright lights signaling them to turn on. I am aware it is not lawful to run these lights on the road.

Nah, I'm thinking about just using my old wiring harness with remote fob I used to use on my Grand Cherokee. It worked well for years, so why improve something that worked well already. I'm just going to wire them straight to one of the 12V batteries in the frunk tub as Weistec Engineering folks did it that way, and I imagine 1EV will do something similar.

That said, running those low on the hooks might be okay for fog light duty, but wouldn't be as useful for spot/flood duty afar as they'd be quite low. Thoughts?

electruck4x4

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Electruck4x4.com
Vehicles
'22 R1T VIN 2xx, '19 Model 3, '70 Blazer
We will be working on lights at some point in the near future and hope to use a wireless in-cabin switch panel. The biggest "challenges” are the panels are pricey and often support an excessive number of sources.

For that though, Switchpros makes an awesome set. This one from Race Sport lighting is also an option: https://www.racesportinc.com/rsw80a.html

I’d be happy to help source rigid, Baja, or KC lights if there is a model(s) that folks are looking for.

Last edited:

electricRaptor

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cloud Architect
Finished the wiring job in a few hours. Essentially removed the clipped plastic sections around the frunk tub, the tub itself, and got access to the 12v batteries.

I wired my remote switch directly to the secondary (passenger side) battery, and tucked the 4-channel control box under the frunk weatherstripping so it sits nicely in the frunk for now. Put everything back together and voilĂ .

Crazy the amount of engineering that goes on under the frunk!

Rivian R1T R1S Pod lighting, aux, off-road, flood, lightbar -- anyone install these? B11994B5-D7BC-4446-A63A-B051A5AB543F
Rivian R1T R1S Pod lighting, aux, off-road, flood, lightbar -- anyone install these? 09CE64B4-474A-4BF9-A798-8F0D3274AF59
Rivian R1T R1S Pod lighting, aux, off-road, flood, lightbar -- anyone install these? F594EFF3-10D2-48BD-9A29-2DE046FFB85C

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
Any closeups of wiring to battery? easy access to ground spot.

electricRaptor

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cloud Architect
Any closeups of wiring to battery? easy access to ground spot.
Hmm... I didn't take many photos. In retrospect I suppose I should have for posterity and these moments. It was pretty simple though. There are both positive and negative terminals, so I just wired directly to those on the secondary battery.

Sponsored

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Tesla MY
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

Nicely done! And the fob just lives in your center console? Or did you stick it to the dash somewhere?

Also, "4 channel control box", does that mean you can add more things to the same fob?

electricRaptor

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cloud Architect
Nicely done! And the fob just lives in your center console? Or did you stick it to the dash somewhere?

Also, "4 channel control box", does that mean you can add more things to the same fob?
Yeah, it allows for the transmitter to send 4 separate RF signals to the box. Of course, I'd have to wire more stuff in the rather cramped area...

That would be sweet if I wanted to add a rocker switch in the cabin. I opted for wireless/remote so I could keep the cabin clean :)

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Yeah, it allows for the transmitter to send 4 separate RF signals to the box. Of course, I'd have to wire more stuff in the rather cramped area...

That would be sweet if I wanted to add a rocker switch in the cabin. I opted for wireless/remote so I could keep the cabin clean :)
Haha yeah, if I were to go this route, I would go through various hoops to hide these while keeping them accessible. Integrating them in the little pocket in the driver's seat, center console, center armrest, etc.

OP
OP
bmedfo1

bmedfo1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CFO
@WattTruckMatt Thank you for sharing the Trigger. This is the control solution i was looking for. definitely going to order this today. although it will probably tempt me to fill all 4 switchse with more lights or maybe a train horn (even get crazy and hook it up to the onboard air? LOL)

anyway where are you thinking for mounting the switches? im torn between the simple visor clip or maybe on the left of the steering wheel. I would love it out of sight but also learned from my Jeep that Aux light need to be easy to reach IMO.
Rivian R1T R1S Pod lighting, aux, off-road, flood, lightbar -- anyone install these? 1674217207293
Sponsored