Sponsored

Power Company Intentionally Turned Off Power On Hottest Day Of The Year - I Need My R1S To Have V2H

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
The Houston area was under a heat advisory yesterday and temps got to 100 with feel like temps of well over 100. I was shocked when my power went out in the afternoon. I got my phone to go online and report the outage and got the response below. The power company decided to intentionally turn off my power because of “system reliability enhancement work”. I translate this to the grid was maxed out. Summer has just started and I am concerned about how many more times my power will be turned off by the power company.

The temp in my house got to 83 degrees after 40 minutes of no power. Thankfully, the power turned back on after 40 minutes. I was about to leave the house and take the dogs with me to Petsmart. I know there have been threads discussing V2H. To me, it is very important to have V2H and yesterday was just a reminder. I hope Rivian provides more details about being able to power the house with the R1 battery pack.

Rivian R1T R1S Power Company Intentionally Turned Off Power On Hottest Day Of The Year - I Need My R1S To Have V2H D43790FB-9BA0-4D5A-8776-B920F9D191FA
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
The Houston area was under a heat advisory yesterday and temps got to 100 with feel like temps of well over 100. I was shocked when my power went out in the afternoon. I got my phone to go online and report the outage and got the response below. The power company decided to intentionally turn off my power because of “system reliability enhancement work”. I translate this to the grid was maxed out. Summer has just started and I am concerned about how many more times my power will be turned off by the power company.

The temp in my house got to 83 degrees after 40 minutes of no power. Thankfully, the power turned back on after 40 minutes. I was about to leave the house and take the dogs with me to Petsmart. I know there have been threads discussing V2H. To me, it is very important to have V2H and yesterday was just a reminder. I hope Rivian provides more details about being able to power the house with the R1 battery pack.

D43790FB-9BA0-4D5A-8776-B920F9D191FA.jpeg
I think you need to wait for the Rivian designed motors and new hardware. Everything I have read leads me to believe the current models with the Bosch motors are not going to be capable of that.

I went with solar last year, adding Tesla power walls this year so they can run solar during a power outage and work as backup power.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Have you considered moving to a state that doesn't have rolling blackouts in Spring? Maybe somewhere with a properly regulated power grid like California?

KyleJJ06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Blue R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I wish the Rivian had a 240v outlet for this reason. I have a backup generator that I can roll out and plug into a transfer switch already installed. Would be nice to be able to plug the truck in during an emergency. Looks like im just NE of you, but luckily we kept our power.

OP
OP
Longhorngirl

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
I think you need to wait for the Rivian designed motors and new hardware. Everything I have read leads me to believe the current models with the Bosch motors are not going to be capable of that.

I went with solar last year, adding Tesla power walls this year so they can run solar during a power outage and work as backup power.
I haven’t received an updated delivery window yet. I assume due to my Ocean Coast interior. By the time my R1S is ready, I hope there will be more info from Rivian.

I definitely want to install solar eventually and include a power wall. However, it is not feasible currently as my house is considered lot value only, so I don’t want to spend any money upgrading the house. Having V2H capability would be the simplest and cheapest solution.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Have you considered moving to a state that doesn't have rolling blackouts in Spring? Maybe somewhere with a properly regulated power grid like California?
California does have potential for rolling blackouts. They can doing rolling blackouts based on usage or shut power down during high winds to prevent power line issues starting fires.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
@Longhorngirl this seems like a local issue. Perhaps something like a transformer being flakey especially given the quick resolution. There was plenty of capacity today.
Rivian R1T R1S Power Company Intentionally Turned Off Power On Hottest Day Of The Year - I Need My R1S To Have V2H Screenshot_20220612-191727_ERCOT Mobile A

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
You haven’t heard of PG&E, have you? 😂🫠

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
I wish the Rivian had a 240v outlet for this reason. I have a backup generator that I can roll out and plug into a transfer switch already installed. Would be nice to be able to plug the truck in during an emergency. Looks like im just NE of you, but luckily we kept our power.
That’s the only thing makes me drooling for F150 lightning. I get power outage several times a year and having a silent and cheap backup option would be super awesome! Rivian should make the 240v inverter as an add on at least.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer

Wait what? What do the motors have to do with anything?

V2H is part of the CCS spec released in April. From my understanding much of it is software related. The DC connection is all you need hardware wise if you have an external inverter which Rivian is developing, Wallbox is developing and Sunrun has (Ford Lightning)

None of this is available yet for the Rivian but it should be possible with current models once they enable it in the software. At least that's what my research pointed to.

Sorry that happened to you @Longhorngirl I'm glad you and the dogs are safe.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
As a Californian I would say we have had a pretty good run of grid management the last 10 years but when I first moved her in 2000 we had rolling blackouts. We may not have water soon, but at least we'll be able to make sure our trucks are always charged!

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Wait what? What do the motors have to do with anything?

V2H is part of the CCS spec released in April. From my understanding much of it is software related. The DC connection is all you need hardware wise if you have an external inverter which Rivian is developing, Wallbox is developing and Sunrun has (Ford Lightning)

None of this is available yet for the Rivian but it should be possible with current models once they enable it in the software. At least that's what my research pointed to.

Sorry that happened to you @Longhorngirl I'm glad you and the dogs are safe.
Motors nothing but that one article that was talking about the Rivian designed motors was also talking about 800 volt as well as VtoH.

I would love to be wrong but I do not think the current hardware shipping in this first iteration will be capable of supporting this feature.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Motors nothing but that one article that was talking about the Rivian designed motors was also talking about 800 volt as well as VtoH.

I would love to be wrong but I do not think the current hardware shipping in this first iteration will be capable of supporting this feature.
The 400v architecture shouldn't be a blocker as far as I understand it. But I'm no expert either 🙂

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
The 400v architecture shouldn't be a blocker as far as I understand it. But I'm no expert either 🙂
The Lightning’s 400v platform doesn’t seem to be an issue ;)

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I agree, 400 volt is not the issue but it looks like they are redeveloping the entire stack. This is the article I was referencing.

Again I would love to be wrong but appears the odds are against it.
Sponsored