First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vermontroads.net
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Picked up Thai food last night, and the order was packed a little too tall for comfort, so I did what any Thai food loving creature would do and buckled it in. I pulled the bag out when I got home and left the passenger seat belt latched.

Fast forward to this morning, I go out and notice the screen is on in truck and climate is running (low 20s F overnight). Get in to the truck and battery is at 11% SoC. Arrived home somewhere between 30-40% last night and didn't plug in, because the Fiancee's car was plugged in for a trip.

Haven't had a chance to verify this is the root cause, but plan to test later this week. Glad I wasn't camping!

Anyone else encountered this?
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Picked up Thai food last night, and the order was packed a little too tall for comfort, so I did what any Thai food loving creature would do and buckled it in. I pulled the bag out when I got home and left the passenger seat belt latched.

Fast forward to this morning, I go out and notice the screen is on in truck and climate is running (low 20s F overnight). Get in to the truck and battery is at 11% SoC. Arrived home somewhere between 30-40% last night and didn't plug in, because the Fiancee's car was plugged in for a trip.

Haven't had a chance to verify this is the root cause, but plan to test later this week. Glad I wasn't camping!

You are 100% correct. The occupant detection system uses the seat belt as a method of detection.

sandsk8erz400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Hmm, I've only had my truck a month but I have a car seat in the back seat and use the seat belt to secure it. It appears my truck goes to sleep as I don't hear the hvac or anything running when I walk up to it, but I don't really pay attention to the charge level too much. Curious for everyone else with car seats using the seat belts if their trucks are remaining on like yours?

If yours was the front passenger, I wonder if the back seats belts do not have this same issue?

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Hmm, I've only had my truck a month but I have a car seat in the back seat and use the seat belt to secure it. It appears my truck goes to sleep as I don't hear the hvac or anything running when I walk up to it, but I don't really pay attention to the charge level too much. Curious for everyone else with car seats using the seat belts if their trucks are remaining on like yours?

If yours was the front passenger, I wonder if the back seats belts do not have this same issue?
So it's a mixed bag here. If you have car seats installed with the seat belts in the rear seats then the heater, audio, etc inside the truck WILL turn off when you lock it and won't cause any massive drain.

BUUUUUUUUTTTTT, your alarm will not work in the truck at all. I was fighting with Rivian about this for months and eventually the figured out the cause and the car seats were the issue. They were supposed to put in a ticket with the software team to resolve it but so far I haven't seen it fixed.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

Correct. Rear seat belts don't trigger the same as the front, for the reason you mentioned.

Sponsored

sandsk8erz400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Correct. Rear seat belts don't trigger the same as the front, for the reason you mentioned.
Thanks guys, just searched and was reading back through all the other threads people have had on this over the last year, sounded like quite the headache! Hope Rivian has a future update where the front won't trigger the climate like yours did, thanks for the heads up though!

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Thanks guys, just searched and was reading back through all the other threads people have had on this over the last year, sounded like quite the headache! Hope Rivian has a future update where the front won't trigger the climate like yours did, thanks for the heads up though!
Why would you want to keep the front seat belt buckled with no one in the seat?

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

Good tip. And I hear ya, I always buckle in my Thai and Indian takeout. You can never be too careful.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Rivian really needs a way to explicitly power on/off these trucks, at least the option for those of us who want it. It doesn’t require a dedicated switch, just a repurposing of the existing buttons or pedals. The steering wheel buttons on the right side don’t do a damn thing in park. Make a press-and-hold on one of them while in park control power to the truck.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Food goes on the floor for me. It’s a lot easier to clean out the rubber mat compared to the vinyl seat.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

so youre telling me you used your seatbelt to secure food? i have never heard of anyone doing that until now.

so the vehicle didnt give any chime or anything indicating the seatbelt was latched? if not, thats something they need to add.
Sponsored