Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
None listed in Chico? Gateway to the Northern Sierra?
Closest one on the map Rivian has on its website is in/near Corning. There's also an Electrify America station in Willows.
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Please Rivian, Susanville, this would fill such a huge gap for me. Next is highway 95 between winnemucca and boise.
And Burns, Oregon, to allow folks to access and cross that huge chunk of Adventure without having to use the boring Interstates that hug Oregon's borders. One RAN location here to go with the needed Susanville location will open tens of thousands of square miles of current No-Roll Zone. While you're at it, RAN stations along U.S. 95 will open up the Owyhee River basin, Steen's Mt., and the Alvord Desert/Salt Flats (all Dark Sky utopias), along with the Hells Canyon National Recreation Area. Jordan Valley, OR, and McCall and Lewiston, ID will help to kill Range Anxiety.

Placing multiple locations near one another and home chargers in urban settings seems the opposite of placing them in the middle of beautiful, remote locations to help foster the Adventure aspect of Rivian's mission. This is especially true since multiple California cities already have ElectrifyAmerica and other charging options. I know there will be some owners who may not be able to charge at home, but there are other options. I'd think allowing every roadway to be accessible would be better than chargers close to home.

Rivian, if you're listening, I'll send your $0.98 in change back to Normal soon, very soon.....

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
And Burns, Oregon, to allow folks to access and cross that huge chunk of Adventure without having to use the boring Interstates that hug Oregon's borders. One RAN location here to go with the needed Susanville location will open tens of thousands of square miles of current No-Roll Zone. While you're at it, RAN stations along U.S. 95 will open up the Owyhee River basin, Steen's Mt., and the Alvord Desert/Salt Flats (all Dark Sky utopias), along with the Hells Canyon National Recreation Area. Jordan Valley, OR, and McCall and Lewiston, ID will help to kill Range Anxiety.

Placing multiple locations near one another and home chargers in urban settings seems the opposite of placing them in the middle of beautiful, remote locations to help foster the Adventure aspect of Rivian's mission. This is especially true since multiple California cities already have ElectrifyAmerica and other charging options. I know there will be some owners who may not be able to charge at home, but there are other options. I'd think allowing every roadway to be accessible would be better than chargers close to home.

Rivian, if you're listening, I'll send your $0.98 in change back to Normal soon, very soon.....
I think potential Rivian owners who don’t already own a Tesla are in for a big surprise and will wake up to a slap in the face.

As soon as you get in your new truck your gonna be thinking of where to charge it. A little hint, it’s not in the mountains where you will find those chargers. It’s on the roads you will be driving 99% of the time.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I think potential Rivian owners who don’t already own a Tesla are in for a big surprise and will wake up to a slap in the face.

As soon as you get in your new truck your gonna be thinking of where to charge it. A little hint, it’s not in the mountains where you will find those chargers. It’s on the roads you will be driving 99% of the time.
That's what I fear. I know it's the Highways that get us around and across the country, but it's the Byways that get us to the more remote Adventure spots. These vehicles are designed for more gravel in our travel (as the song goes) and filling in the dead spots on the map of the U.S. is needed sooner than later.

I don't see me becoming a rock crawler, but neither am I getting a Rivian for a Pavement Princess. In many areas of the country, there's an Interstate and hundreds of thousands of people within spittin' distance. Fill in the holes on the charging map to allow all of us to Adventure away from that.

I know there will be at least two more waves of RAN station announcements. I'd love to know the plans sooner than later, so as to understand better what Rivian means when they use the word "Adventure".

Sponsored

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
YUP...Tesla owners are going to be a little frustrated at first, until things get built-out.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I know there will be at least two more waves of RAN station announcements. I'd love to know the plans sooner than later, so as to understand better what Rivian means when they use the word "Adventure".
Do you have a source for this? All of the materials I can find mention 600 sites with 3,500 chargers. Their current map has >600 sites (623, to be exact).

I expect more information about the planned locations for the "waypoint" network, but I haven't seen anything about known expansion of the DCFC RAN past 2023.

Since people are dreaming of possible locations and asking what plans might already exist, I will give a plug for the Google Map I created based on the info in this thread and (more importantly) the Rivian map of planned RAN locations (general areas, not specific addresses).

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/ran-map-in-google-maps.1721/

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
And Burns, Oregon, to allow folks to access and cross that huge chunk of Adventure without having to use the boring Interstates that hug Oregon's borders.
I too was hoping for more coverage in E. Oregon. Lots of trips I'd like to make down there. It's another charging dead-zone. Rivian....oh Rivian...are you there...are you listening?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Do you have a source for this? All of the materials I can find mention 600 sites with 3,500 chargers. Their current map has >600 sites (623, to be exact).

I expect more information about the planned locations for the "waypoint" network, but I haven't seen anything about known expansion of the DCFC RAN past 2023.

Since people are dreaming of possible locations and asking what plans might already exist, I will give a plug for the Google Map I created based on the info in this thread and (more importantly) the Rivian map of planned RAN locations (general areas, not specific addresses).

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/ran-map-in-google-maps.1721/
Autolycus

I thought I recalled a comment (maybe from RJ) about this following the release of the original map and this video.

https://stories.rivian.com/charging...d=R00435FB54F54264FAD80742C27F02BCD69D3143AC0

After reviewing the above video and subsequent comments this morning, your question got me to thinking. As I can't find support for my comment, I called Customer Service and asked about upcoming changes to the map. I was told that while there will be new stations added from time to time, they couldn't confirm any major upcoming rollouts of updates. Thanks for calling me out, as I don't want to spread bad info.

In speaking with Customer Service, they did reiterate that the Charging Team is always looking for input on the need for new stations around the country. Accordingly, I hope everyone is giving them feedback as to where they would like to see DCFC stations going forward. Level 2 Chargers are cute and useful when parking at some space overnight, but for truly getting around the country, there's no substitute for the fast charging variety. The RAN map, when overlayed with ABRP and other comprehensive maps still leaves many high-Adventure areas lacking DCFC CCS charging. I know it will come in time, but you can't get what you don't ask for. Accordingly, I hope everyone keeps providing their input to Rivian.

Thanks again for asking me about my comment and also for your work with Google Maps and Rivian's map of planned stations. Let's hope the network of fast-charging CCS stations keeps growing and growing.

Take care!

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Autolycus

I thought I recalled a comment (maybe from RJ) about this following the release of the original map and this video.

https://stories.rivian.com/charging...d=R00435FB54F54264FAD80742C27F02BCD69D3143AC0

After reviewing the above video and subsequent comments this morning, your question got me to thinking. As I can't find support for my comment, I called Customer Service and asked about upcoming changes to the map. I was told that while there will be new stations added from time to time, they couldn't confirm any major upcoming rollouts of updates. Thanks for calling me out, as I don't want to spread bad info.

In speaking with Customer Service, they did reiterate that the Charging Team is always looking for input on the need for new stations around the country. Accordingly, I hope everyone is giving them feedback as to where they would like to see DCFC stations going forward. Level 2 Chargers are cute and useful when parking at some space overnight, but for truly getting around the country, there's no substitute for the fast charging variety. The RAN map, when overlayed with ABRP and other comprehensive maps still leaves many high-Adventure areas lacking DCFC CCS charging. I know it will come in time, but you can't get what you don't ask for. Accordingly, I hope everyone keeps providing their input to Rivian.

Thanks again for asking me about my comment and also for your work with Google Maps and Rivian's map of planned stations. Let's hope the network of fast-charging CCS stations keeps growing and growing.

Take care!
I will be shocked if the final RAN map looks the same as the current RAN map. I'm sure they will add stations in other areas, just like Tesla has, but I don't expect any big announcement about a doubling of the network size all in one big push. It will be gradual as they build stations out and start to get more data on where they have cars registered and where people are using the RAN stations that are built in the next couple years.

Rivian also has a big advantage of Tesla that will grow over time: their trucks will be able to any of the DCFC networks. That should eventually mean that the RAN doesn't have to fill every gap like the Tesla network will have to. I strongly suspect that in 5-10 years, maps of charger networks will be so dense that a national map will be mostly filled in by some network or another.

In general, Tesla has a huge advantage over everyone else right now because of their proprietary, easy-to-use network with generally great area coverage. There will be a tipping point though, as EVs become much more prevalent and other charging networks continue to grow faster than Tesla can support. The big question for me is: Will Tesla ever be able to release a CCS adaptor in North America? If so, they will not lose ground to others on convenience. If not, they may eventually have to reconsider switching their cars and superchargers to CCS ports and cables.

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
The big question for me is: Will Tesla ever be able to release a CCS adaptor in North America? If so, they will not lose ground to others on convenience. If not, they may eventually have to reconsider switching their cars and superchargers to CCS ports and cables.
I think it’s inevitable that they eventually offer a CCS adapter. Bigger question for me is if/when they abandon their proprietary connector and retrofit their network with CCS. Huge undertaking there.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I think it’s inevitable that they eventually offer a CCS adapter. Bigger question for me is if/when they abandon their proprietary connector and retrofit their network with CCS. Huge undertaking there.
Greg,

Given the expense of retrofitting, I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla went the other direction and offered adapters for CCS vehicles to use their stations. That would avoid the expense of retrofitting and would also allow Tesla to sell the adapters to the CCS community. There may be a technology hurdle I'm not aware of, but it would seem like a potential revenue stream for Tesla while also avoiding the cost, inconvience, and possible hit to anyone's (?) sense of pride and well-being.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
There are ongoing rumors that Tesla will release a US version of a CCS adapter but it hasn't appeared yet AFAIK. Meanwhile there is the SETEC offering. Apaprently it even works sometimes. But it's $600 and limited to 200A which means 75 kW. I don't know what it would be good for anyway. Any time i have been in a place where there is charging but not Tesla the chargers have had 1 CCS hose and 1 CCS hose. The CHAdeMO adpater is limited to 50 kW but it does work.

Greg,

Given the expense of retrofitting, I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla went the other direction and offered adapters for CCS vehicles to use their stations.
This is quite feasible and has been done in some places in Europe.

There may be a technology hurdle I'm not aware of, but it would seem like a potential revenue stream for Tesla while also avoiding the cost, inconvience, and possible hit to anyone's (?) sense of pride and well-being.
There are some software issues to be resolved but the main problems are what my boss used to call "electro-political". If Tesla wanted to do it it could fairly easily be done. The main deterrent would be potential overcrowding of the Tesla stations were other brands allowed in. While most of the time most of the stations I visit are empty or nearly so there are stories of long queues at others. Tesla is selling cars at a pretty good clip right now. I don't know if charging stall rollout is keeping up.

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
Outside of some form of legislation forcing them, I can't see them trying to retrofit the SC network. Much easier to sell overpriced adapters and make even more money.

Hopefully it happens. I would totally buy one. I don't think I would ever use an SC as a first choice especially at busy times (the idea of being stuck at a SC for hours like everyone at Thanksgiving a couple years ago still gives me anxiety about doing trips in an EV), but to have as a backup until more CCS stations get built out could be very useful
Sponsored