Sponsored

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

After driving my R1T for a month and 1,600 miles, I’m still having trouble scraping curbs while parking, which I’ve never had driving other cars over the past 40 years. Last night it happened for the third time, this time causing major damage to my (22”) right front wheel.

The damage occurred when I was parking along a tricky curved curb of a residential cul-de-sac. This was frustrating because I was being very careful and thought I was about 6” away from the curb. I was looking at the cameras, inching along, when I felt & heard the tragic SCRAPE.

Of course, all of the blame goes to the driver (me), but the truck could’ve provided better assistance to help avoid this. How? By allowing the option to have the side or bird’s eye camera on the bigger part of the screen, rather than the small side part of the screen. Especially at night, the cameras aren’t very helpful in determining the proximity of the wheels to a curb. To avoid this happening to you, leave more space than the cameras make you think is needed.

This is the first vehicle I’ve had with these types of cameras, and they’re mostly wonderful. But I think I put too much trust in them & thought I understood what I was seeing.

I also don’t like that the 22” wheels stick out beyond the tire sidewall, resulting in a minor curb touch like this causing major cosmetic damage. When it’s time to replace these tires, I’ll probably get some 295/50/22’s. These slightly wider & taller tires will protect my wheels from my sloppy parking skills.

Rivian R1T R1S PSA - Don’t destroy / curb a wheel like I did (tips to avoid) 008529F0-F50D-468E-89A7-4FA223F969B4
Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
That really shows up on the dark wheel. I did this to my trade-in the week before the R1T was delivered. I considered a wheel repair serivce but I ended up using files and wet sanding to get it pretty good again.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tesla M3P / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Software Dev / Architect / Product Designer
I know this might sound cheesy, but a Sharpie works great for covering up scuffs on black/dark wheels.

Get the 20” wheels and AT tires. Rub away!
Yeah, I love how the 22" look, but for ultimate curb protection, nothing beats those 20" with the much taller sidewall.

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
My wife absolutely wrecked the 22s on her Velar on multiple occasions, even with a similar camera system. Ideally ultrasonics would be able to catch this somehow...

Anyway, we were super impressed with the results from wheel refinishers. I don't know how the Rivian dark wheels will fare, but it may be worth exploring. They typically charge around $150 per wheel.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Call me old fashioned but how about avoiding getting too close? If you can’t do that then maybe an eye test in the works.

Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I'll admit that I still am having difficulties judging how close I am to curbs. I do use the side cameras and imo they are adequate to prevent this if you use them. Curved curbs are always challenging

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

I know this might sound cheesy, but a Sharpie works great for covering up scuffs on black/dark wheels.
One of my daughters hid some curb rash from me for months with a black Sharpie!!!

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
One of my daughters hid some curb rash from me for months with a black Sharpie!!!
Don't stop with black, 24 colors (or so) and you can cover up all kinds of mistakes!
Sponsored