Sponsored

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
I think the trouble with parallel parking the R1T is 2-fold. First, the flared rear fenders and taper back to the tailgate make it hard to visualize the line along which the vehicle needs to travel in parallel situations. This is exacerbated by the poor placement of the rear facing sideview cameras. Because they are placed low and in the front fender, instead of high and out on the end of the mirrors, they have insufficient angle to really locate the rear edges of the vehicle against obstacles. I park on the end of a row in the corner of my work garage and it is a tapered spot and I used to have no trouble getting my old Charger within an inch of the back corner using only a backup camera and no parking sensors. Because the parking spot itself is tapered against a wall and the back of the truck is too, even when I think I am right up on it, I am not really even close, despite the side sensors screaming at me for the last few feet of backing up.

On the topic of the side camera, I never had similar issues with my TRX which also has heavily flared rear fenders (and which wouldn't even fit in my work garage), and I believe it was because the camera was higher and further out from the side giving a better view of what was happening at the rear. Despite its massive size, I never had any issues parking it, assuming the spot was big enough to fit.
Sponsored

OP
OP
dp351

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

I think the trouble with parallel parking the R1T is 2-fold. First, the flared rear fenders and taper back to the tailgate make it hard to visualize the line along which the vehicle needs to travel in parallel situations. This is exacerbated by the poor placement of the rear facing sideview cameras. Because they are placed low and in the front fender, instead of high and out on the end of the mirrors, they have insufficient angle to really locate the rear edges of the vehicle against obstacles. I park on the end of a row in the corner of my work garage and it is a tapered spot and I used to have no trouble getting my old Charger within an inch of the back corner using only a backup camera and no parking sensors. Because the parking spot itself is tapered against a wall and the back of the truck is too, even when I think I am right up on it, I am not really even close, despite the side sensors screaming at me for the last few feet of backing up.

On the topic of the side camera, I never had similar issues with my TRX which also has heavily flared rear fenders (and which wouldn't even fit in my work garage), and I believe it was because the camera was higher and further out from the side giving a better view of what was happening at the rear. Despite its massive size, I never had any issues parking it, assuming the spot was big enough to fit.
Interesting. Don’t our Rivian’s have cameras and/or sensors on the side mirrors? I thought there are more cameras than I’m able to see on the screen, except perhaps when they’re stitched together for the birdseye view, which is great but too small IMO.

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
Interesting. Don’t our Rivian’s have cameras and/or sensors on the side mirrors? I thought there are more cameras than I’m able to see on the screen, except perhaps when they’re stitched together for the birdseye view, which is great but too small IMO.
I believe the ones in the mirrors face forward. The birds eye is very good and that is what I have taken to relying on in traditional parallel parking situations. There is an additional level of difficulty in my garage in that the walls are lined by steel cabling that the overhead camera struggles to pick up. In reality the biggest problem is the guy who "parks" next to me who seems to think the parking lines are just suggestions. Otherwise I wouldn't feel the need to get so close to the wall to avoid him.

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rivian in the easiest way possible.
After driving my R1T for a month and 1,600 miles, I’m still having trouble scraping curbs while parking, which I’ve never had driving other cars over the past 40 years. Last night it happened for the third time, this time causing major damage to my (22”) right front wheel.

The damage occurred when I was parking along a tricky curved curb of a residential cul-de-sac. This was frustrating because I was being very careful and thought I was about 6” away from the curb. I was looking at the cameras, inching along, when I felt & heard the tragic SCRAPE.

Of course, all of the blame goes to the driver (me), but the truck could’ve provided better assistance to help avoid this. How? By allowing the option to have the side or bird’s eye camera on the bigger part of the screen, rather than the small side part of the screen. Especially at night, the cameras aren’t very helpful in determining the proximity of the wheels to a curb. To avoid this happening to you, leave more space than the cameras make you think is needed.

This is the first vehicle I’ve had with these types of cameras, and they’re mostly wonderful. But I think I put too much trust in them & thought I understood what I was seeing.

I also don’t like that the 22” wheels stick out beyond the tire sidewall, resulting in a minor curb touch like this causing major cosmetic damage. When it’s time to replace these tires, I’ll probably get some 295/50/22’s. These slightly wider & taller tires will protect my wheels from my sloppy parking skills.

008529F0-F50D-468E-89A7-4FA223F969B4.jpeg
Yikes... hate to see it, but thanks for sharing with us so we can try to avoid the same fate.

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rivian in the easiest way possible.
That’s a bummer. Time to install some curb feelers I suppose

79F6E603-CD57-4000-9556-8C4F66392BF2.jpeg
lol can't imagine ever needing these, i never hit curbs haha *takes notes secretly*
Sponsored