Sponsored

PSA: Driver+ Almost Caused a Crash

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

I have yet to take a long road trip in my truck, but from my experiences on the highway so far I doubt I'll ever trust the driver+ like I trust my wife's Volvo's Pilot Assist. Her car has no phantom braking, no ping-ponging (I like that phrase used earlier in the thread), and doesn't cut on and off all the time. Is it as smart as Tesla's system? No. But all I want is to be able to take my foot off the accelerator and have the car keep me in a lane. Rivian has tried to do too much too fast and the system feels quarter-baked.
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
The reality is that you (we when I get my R1S) are all beta testers for Rivian. I guess there are somewhere around 11k-12k vehicles delivered. Not everyone is using this feature, and those that use it don't use it 100% of the time. From the reports, it's got a long way to go to be reliable. My curiouslty wonders whether this is an algorithm issue or a hardware sensor issue. I've always been an early adopter, but not where it's a risk to me or my family's health. I'll let others beta test this for Rivian.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
There is in fact cruise control with adaptive speed adjustments. A single pull of the right stalk activates that. Driver+ is a double pull of the stalk and that has all the functionality of the adaptive cruise control, +the lane centering/autosteering.

I confess, in the first two months I had two or so instances where I experienced the situation described herein. But, even when using driver+ I remain attentive and engaged. I didn't have an issue exerting control in either case. That said, it hasn't happened since, its been several months.
It's symantics, but both ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control, the single press) and HA (Highway Assist, the double press and auto steer) are part of the Driver+ suite.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

It's symantics, but both ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control, the single press) and HA (Highway Assist, the double press and auto steer) are part of the Driver+ suite.
Driver+ is a double pull of the stalk and that has all the functionality of the adaptive cruise control, +the lane centering/autosteering.
https://rivian.com/support/article/what-features-are-included-in-rivian-driver

What features are included in Rivian Driver+?
Driver+ features are standard on every Rivian vehicle. Some may be introduced through over-the-air software updates following start of production, including Lane Change Assist and Trailer Assist. Driver+ is designed to support drivers and does not replace their attention, judgment, and need to control the vehicle.

Driving Assist: Help with the manual driving tasks when you want it.

Highway Assist: Automatic steering, braking and acceleration on select highways while engaged.

Adaptive Cruise Control: Set your speed and automatically accelerate or brake, adjusting speed to keep an appropriate distance from vehicles in front of you.

Lane Change Assist: Assisted lane changes on the highway.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Am I the only one that uses Highway Assist on the daily without any trouble? All these complaints have me wondering if we bought the same truck. I have one section of my 24 mile commute I don't use it, because it's the Gorst (pronounced worst). Otherwise, smooth sailing!

I imagine you wrestling the steering wheel away, pushing your feet up against the dash for leverage... My truck takes a slight tug of the wheel to disable Highway Assist and it keeps ACC active, something I do daily entering a construction zone. Surprisingly Highway Assist does fine through that too, it's the other drivers I don't trust.
I use it daily, and personally like it and think it performs well 99% of the time. However, it has (literally) try to kill me once with an attempt at turning hard for absolutely no reason with a wall about 10 feet off the edge of pavement along I-5.
There is in fact cruise control with adaptive speed adjustments. A single pull of the right stalk activates that. Driver+ is a double pull of the stalk and that has all the functionality of the adaptive cruise control, +the lane centering/autosteering.

I confess, in the first two months I had two or so instances where I experienced the situation described herein. But, even when using driver+ I remain attentive and engaged. I didn't have an issue exerting control in either case. That said, it hasn't happened since, its been several months.
Correct. But there isn't a "dumb" cruise control that's not adaptive, so it's still subject to phantom braking every once in awhile.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Am I the only one that uses Highway Assist on the daily without any trouble? All these complaints have me wondering if we bought the same truck. I have one section of my 24 mile commute I don't use it, because it's the Gorst (pronounced worst). Otherwise, smooth sailing!
I have 1000s of miles using D+, far from a perfect system but still prefer it on long drives. Seen plenty of phantom breaking events and don't particularly trust it around curvy hwy sections, poorly marked roads etc.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
I use it daily, and personally like it and think it performs well 99% of the time. However, it has (literally) try to kill me once with an attempt at turning hard for absolutely no reason with a wall about 10 feet off the edge of pavement along I-5.

They have to fix that - other driver assists would warn the driver and cut out - give me that clear handoff not some random jerk in the other direction.

As it stands adaptive cruise is super handy, but if I can't trust D+ to not do this (and I can trust myself) it's just one more thing to pay attention to when driving so it's frankly useless. I already have to be holding onto the wheel to use it and at least I know the car won't randomly steer into a wall when I'm driving.
Sponsored