Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S (launch green, 22" dark); Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Attorney
Clubs

I received my R1S on Monday - DC area. Launch Edition, Launch Green, Black Mountain, 22" dark. I finally checked the vehicle for defects tonight (I was unfortunately pressed for time on Monday) and found some significant misalignments. The hood doesn't fit quite properly, as the pictures show.

The gap between the black strip of metal that runs from front to back above the windows and between the rear liftgate and the windshield seems to be completely misaligned. The strips on both sides have that same misalignment problem. Is it me, or are those misalignments significant? I'm going to put in a ticket, of course. Any input would be appreciated.
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Body Gaps - Your Input Hood - Driver's Sid
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Body Gaps - Your Input Hood - Passenger - Window
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Body Gaps - Your Input Hood - Passenger Sid
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Body Gaps - Your Input Rear-Roof at Liftgat
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Body Gaps - Your Input Roof at Passenger Windshield
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Body Gaps - Your Input Roof at Windsheld - Closeu
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Body Gaps - Your Input Roof at Windshield Driver Sid
Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
That is extremely sloppy workmanship. Put in that ticket ASAP.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Comstockery

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Clubs

I submitted the ticket.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

My truck looks basically the same. Not enough to warrant a service call on its own. When I do take it in for service, I will ask them to try and correct some of these same issues as best that they can.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Yeah that needs an adjustment. It's much further off than lots of the ones I've seen on here.

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
The closer to delivery that you make the claim, the more likely they will take it seriously.

OP
OP

Comstockery

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Clubs

The closer to delivery that you make the claim, the more likely they will take it seriously.
Agreed. If I get any sense from the response to my ticket that Rivian doesn't want to fix problems, I'm going to cancel. I'm within the seven-day window. I really like the R1S, but I won't tolerate significant defects.

Sponsored

kirkSD

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, R1T (FG/FE) 21"
Occupation
Engineer
Get a hold of Kim Java. She could even that out rather quickly.
OMG, I think I woke up the whole house laughing at this!

My R1T has a similar hood misalignment, was going to send it back to the SC along with a list of other minor issues, including left-side wind noise.

I know there is a lot of commentary about how great the Rivian panel alignment is, but on my truck I see a number off issues that remind me of my Tesla. Anyway, still love this truck, for me those issues don't diminish the experience of owning a fantastic vehicle. But your roofline issues goes beyond "minor" and I wouldn't live with that!

Kirk

Last edited:

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I don't think even Tesla would have the nerve to deliver something with those issues. Yes, the factory would likely ship it to the SC, but the SC would probably hold it back as they have been known to do with particularly egregious examples.

It's unfortunate that actual mass production of the R1S commenced just as the Q3 final push started.

The scary part is... you're just seeing exterior sheet metal issues... more significant issues my be hiding below the surface that haven't manifested yet.

Last edited:

Rad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 and 2004 MDX, 2016 Jeep JK
geez, that looks awful.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
The roof line looks particularly bad. I would ask to have that fixed.

The hood is similar to mine and I'm letting it go. It's a truck and I have other things to worry about like my wife scratching the rear fender loading her mountain bike. :mad:

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I received my R1S on Monday - DC area. Launch Edition, Launch Green, Black Mountain, 22" dark. I finally checked the vehicle for defects tonight (I was unfortunately pressed for time on Monday) and found some significant misalignments. The hood doesn't fit quite properly, as the pictures show.

The gap between the black strip of metal that runs from front to back above the windows and between the rear liftgate and the windshield seems to be completely misaligned. The strips on both sides have that same misalignment problem. Is it me, or are those misalignments significant? I'm going to put in a ticket, of course. Any input would be appreciated.
Those alignment issue look bad to me and I’d definitely submit a ticket like you did!

What’s going on in this pic?
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Body Gaps - Your Input 1665063908158

Is that shiny sealant or something else visible on the edge of the protruding piece? Whatever it is it doesn’t look like something which was meant to be visible.
Sponsored