Sponsored

R1S cabin noise/compressor, etc.

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
I've had my R1S for 9 days now, and it currently has 993 miles on it. The biggest chunk of that was the 800 mile trip home in terrible weather from Detroit (where I took delivery) to Memphis, where I live.

There have been a few common complaints about the early R1S (my VIN is 35xx) that thought I'd address for those still waiting. This isn't exhaustive, just random updates from my post about the delivery and drive home.

Cabin noise (from suspension compressor):

This just isn't a thing. I've listened for it specifically, and while you can occasionally hear the compressor cycling on if the radio is off and you're not moving, it just doesn't rise even to the level of mildly annoying. I do frequently hear it (not loud, but can hear it) from the outside as the truck wakes up on approach. My Tesla with air suspension makes pretty much the same noise under the same circumstances.

There is an odd subtle noise that at first I thought was pebbles caught in the tires treads flying off and hitting the wheel liners. Sort of a random "clicking." It happens even when the truck isn't moving, especially when it's adjusting ride height. I think it's air solenoids opening and closing. Not a big deal, and you probably wouldn't notice unless you're listening for it, but it is there.

As you pick up speed, the dominant noise is wind. No leaks that I can detect, just there isn't much other noise to mask it.

The other cars I drive regularly are an early Tesla Model S (2015), a 2020 Mercedes/AMG GLC43, a 2006 Honda Pilot, and a 2005 Mercedes E320 wagon. The R1S is tied for the Tesla as the quietest (by far) although I think the Tesla is quieter above 80 mph or so, just because of its better aerodynamics.

Trim around built in compressor not centered on the connector:

Yeah, this is an issue. On delivery, we were rushing a bit but were unable to get it to connect. After getting home, I was able to plug it in with some wiggling, but the plastic needs to be trimmed so it's reliable and easy. Odd decision to put a male nipple on the output, contrary to typical practice. This isn't dangerous like it would be with an electrical plug, but does mean that you have to use either the supplied hose, or modify one to have two female ends and you can't use one of the 10 other pneumatic hoses you happen to have lying around the garage and hangar.

Poor fit of lift gate:

Yep, definitely not great. Works fine, and most people don't notice it, but once you do you can't unsee it. Most other gaps on the truck are really good, except for the long strips on the roof that have the holes for the cargo bars. They are very loose, don't fit terribly well, but at least I'm short enough I can't see them without getting on a stool. I keep waiting for one to fly off, since it seems they may just be stuck down with double sided tape.

Folding and unfolding middle and rear seats:

Rear seats are fine both ways, although I'm unlikely to ever use them. Middle row sometimes requires a few trips back and forth--The won't go down unless the front seats are pretty far forward (the headrests interfere) so sometimes you try to put them down, have to go move the front seats, then move them back, etc. My wife's GLC is -much- better in this regard. Our old beater 2005 Mercedes wagon is about the same amount of trouble. Really nice space once they're folded though. I've camped in the Tesla, the R1S will be vastly batter.
Sponsored

Franksmartin

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Software
DO you have the 12v under the dash? My Vin is 33xx, but still don't have the vehicle yet.