Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mercedes GLK 250, 2009 Mercedes E63
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone had this happen to them?

Initially happened whilst on travels and the trunk was full of luggage. I shrugged it off as maybe there was something pressing against the liftgate or something. Happened whilst I was going about 20-30 MPH and it didn’t fully open, just partially.

Fast forward a month later, I walk to it fully open in the garage. I pressed the button to close it and it was just randomly opening.

My thoughts are the latch is probably defective. Has anyone else seen this with their R1S?
Sponsored

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

I haven’t had that problem before thankfully. If it did, I would hit my garage door every time and likely get damaged.

Have you tried manually closing it after it does that?

One time my frunk wouldn’t auto close (probably due to some small misalignment with the latch). Once I pushed it shut manually, it was fine and never did it again. Maybe that reset something internally, but who knows. 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I haven’t had that problem before thankfully. If it did, I would hit my garage door every time and likely get damaged.

Have you tried manually closing it after it does that?

One time my frunk wouldn’t auto close (probably due to some small misalignment with the latch). Once I pushed it shut manually, it was fine and never did it again. Maybe that reset something internally, but who knows. 🤷‍♂️
Yikes! That would not be good!

Yeah, I’ve manually closed it (also disabled the powered Liftgate setting in the settings tab of the vehicle).

Still 🤷🏻‍♂️

rpo

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Finance
OMG no! This is not the post I want to see. I just got an R1S and have been going through the lemon process on a Model X FOR MONTHS because of it randomly opening doors, charge port, trunk, frunk, etc like it is on crack. Let's not let this virus spread.

tk21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Military
Clubs

Has anyone had this happen to them?

Initially happened whilst on travels and the trunk was full of luggage. I shrugged it off as maybe there was something pressing against the liftgate or something. Happened whilst I was going about 20-30 MPH and it didn’t fully open, just partially.

Fast forward a month later, I walk to it fully open in the garage. I pressed the button to close it and it was just randomly opening.

My thoughts are the latch is probably defective. Has anyone else seen this with their R1S?
VIN?

Not so far on mine

Sponsored

OP
OP

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
23 MY 3773

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

23 MY 3773
Mine’s 4247, so not far off. Maybe it needs to be adjusted? Does it visibly look misaligned in some way?

OP
OP

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Mine’s 4247, so not far off. Maybe it needs to be adjusted? Does it visibly look misaligned in some way?
I mean the majority of the R1S liftgates look misaligned in some way.

Yeah, I took it in on Tuesday morning for adjustment for which they said they did. I could visibly see that it was adjusted.

I’m thinking the latch needs to be replaced.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Just curious do you use the fob? I use my phone most of the time as the key and have never had this happen. I did have my Jeep GC do it once but I decided I somehow pressed the key fob that was in my pocket.

OP
OP

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Just curious do you use the fob? I use my phone most of the time as the key and have never had this happen. I did have my Jeep GC do it once but I decided I somehow pressed the key fob that was in my pocket.
No, I actually have the key fob in the original envelope in my home office desk. The car did this away from home.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
On one occasion I had the liftgate open unexpectedly while locking the vehicle with the phone app. Fortunately I was standing beside the vehicle at the time. I assume it was a bad command from the app or possibly a command buffered from the evening before where I had tried unsuccessfully to open the liftgate via Alexa. Haven't had anything like that happen since.

However, that's where the dog rides so very glad we have a crate back there just in case something ever pops open on the highway.

OP
OP

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Update - exterior liftgate open/close button no longer works. I can only open through the app, or through the inside of the vehicle on the screen.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Update - exterior liftgate open/close button no longer works. I can only open through the app, or through the inside of the vehicle on the screen.
That's actually a positive development since now you have a demonstrable problem for Rivian to fix.

OP
OP

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Update - parts have been ordered and should arrive there by Tuesday. I’ve been asked to drop it off in the morning - with a potential 48hr turn around.

Keep you all posted.

pafortin

First Name
Pascal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Green Launch Edition
Occupation
Science
@jpmc86,
I just encountered the same issue this weekend. The lift gate button has stopped working and the lift gate seems to randomly open without warning.
Was you Liftgate problem solved? What was the fix in the end?
Thanks!
Sponsored