Sponsored

R1S : Oct-Dec Delivery (Now Jan-Feb or Feb-Mar 2023)

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My R1S-specific theory based on anecdotal info and quite a bit of speculation: The R1S pre-order holders who received updated delivery windows of Aug-Sep or Oct-Dec are Launch Edition pre-orders (possibly all of the R1S LE's, since LE's are limited in number). I think the ability to configure LE in your pre-order closed in November 2020ish. So there's a limited number of R1S LE holders (maybe 2k, 3k?), all of whom placed their pre-order between late 2018 and November 2020, most of whom are still awaiting delivery by December. Now that we're in the Oct-Dec window, delivery priority within that window is being determined by some combination of batch production and location, rather than pre-order date. This is why we're seeing some folks who pre-ordered a LE in fall 2020 get the "time to complete your purchase" email before some folks who (like me) pre-ordered a LE in the spring of 2019. Those who win this "batch lottery" (because of color/wheel combo, underbody or other production variables) will be the ones taking delivery in Oct or Nov, rather than December, regardless of their pre-order date.

Anyone have data points, or info from guides, that contradicts this theory?
I'm not sure if this counts as a theory and you should give yourself credit because you're not speculating. This is exactly what Rivian has told us they're doing, from Tony's latest email:

"Delivery timing estimates are based on your original preorder date, delivery location and your saved configuration... We plan production several months out, batching groups of similarly configured vehicles to be built in succession. This approach improves predictability with our supply chain and allows us to build more vehicles."
Sponsored

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
I'm not sure if this counts as a theory and you should give yourself credit because you're not speculating. This is exactly what Rivian has told us they're doing, from Tony's latest email:

"Delivery timing estimates are based on your original preorder date, delivery location and your saved configuration... We plan production several months out, batching groups of similarly configured vehicles to be built in succession. This approach improves predictability with our supply chain and allows us to build more vehicles."
[

Right, but I've started to rely on my own speculation instead of what Tony says😊

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
My Question to my guide yesterday: "Do you have any insight on if batching for R1S’s will next switch to Ocean Coast or Forest Edge? Or perhaps both in parallel?"

My Guide's Answer today: "Guides unfortunately do not have much insight into production schedules. While I am starting to see R1S production ramp, I do not have insight into when certain configuration combinations will be built."

Blakeney

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ram 1500 Limited, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
So I came across this today when looking at my account. Never noticed before… the site has been undergoing upgrades the last day or so… what do we make of this?

Rivian R1T R1S R1S : Oct-Dec Delivery (Now Jan-Feb or Feb-Mar 2023) 685E985A-FA1A-4FBD-BB4E-DCDAB9A16380

grantsi

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, Porsche Cayenne
Question about “the next step”…what should I be keeping an eye out for? Is it a call from the sales team or an email? Is the email from rivian or an individual? We all get so many messages every day I’m worried I’ll overlook something. Thanks in advmace

Sponsored

ElectricMTN

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S Reservation - Feb 2019
Occupation
Exec
I hear you. I don't have any inside info, but based on what I've observed, it seems like the people with an Aug-Sep delivery window have a RIS Launch Edition with the underbody shield. So at least some LE orders with underbody shield were moved to the front of the line, even if they pre-ordered in 2020, because of how Rivian decided to produce in batches. I've think I've seen one or two LE late 2018 pre-orders without underbody shield, but with an Oct-Dec window, say that their 8 steps recently opened up, so hopefully early 2019 pre-orders like you are next up.
Well, it sounds like they are making progress. Got my purchase email today along with my VIN . Looks like 4-6 weeks until delivery.

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
Well, it sounds like they are making progress. Got my purchase email today along with my VIN . Looks like 4-6 weeks until delivery.
What’s your configuration, preorder date, etc?

cypressroots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

My R1S 8 step opened a week ago, was told by guide 2 days ago that it was on the train. From reading others on here, it sounds like there is a big batch of R1S's on this train. So expecting several weeks before 8th step opened up.

jffkm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
My R1S 8 step opened a week ago, was told by guide 2 days ago that it was on the train. From reading others on here, it sounds like there is a big batch of R1S's on this train. So expecting several weeks before 8th step opened up.
Same info and timing on my end. I think you’re right. Are you on the west coast also?

cypressroots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Sponsored

sc925

First Name
SC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Raptor
Any other Midnight Oct-December holders out there still waiting for 8 steps? I'm doing plant pick up, but sounds like they haven't batched in any Midnight colors yet.

thunderdeep

First Name
Deep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model3, Toyota Landcruiser, Porsche 911
I spoke to my guide a couple times and I'm not hopeful for a 2022 delivery at this point. Dec 2018 order date- and I had a guide assigned in April with a Oct-Dec window. In August I decided to add the underbody package ... apparently that "may have changed my delivery window." I guess I will find out something at the end of October when everyone gets their new delivery update. I'm an optimist but I'm also realistic and with shipping timings added in... unless I hear something in the next 3 weeks- I'm thinking its going to be another push back/delay into 2023.

Darrellbu

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volkswagen Touareg TDI
I spoke to my guide a couple times and I'm not hopeful for a 2022 delivery at this point. Dec 2018 order date- and I had a guide assigned in April with a Oct-Dec window. In August I decided to add the underbody package ... apparently that "may have changed my delivery window." I guess I will find out something at the end of October when everyone gets their new delivery update. I'm an optimist but I'm also realistic and with shipping timings added in... unless I hear something in the next 3 weeks- I'm thinking its going to be another push back/delay into 2023.
I was assigned a guide in April as well and have an Oct-Dec delivery window too. My config has been the same since confirming with my guide in April. I ordered Nov 2018 and am chomping at the bit as I happily see other owners get their trucks. I sincerely hope OG order holders aren't pushed to 2023 but I get the feeling I need to continue to wait to wait.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
Seems like the R1S ramp is really slow. There's nothing about your LG/BM config that should lead to a delay.
Sponsored