Sponsored

R1S pre-price increase owners - What R1S configuration would you get if ordering today?

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
As a May 2019 pre-order, I was very fortunate to get a Launch Edition R1S with a free AT wheel upgrade for the original price of $75,500. At today's price's, that configuration (quad motor, large pack, "All-Terrain Upgrade") costs at least $95,600. The "base" model (dual-motor, standard pack, 21" wheels) starts at $78,000. If I was as ordering today, I'd take the base model in a heartbeat. My only upgrade would be a possible color change to Glacier White or Limestone.

We love our R1S, but its specs are more than we need. We don't tow, don't off-road, don't care about race car acceleration, and while my wife and I like the look of the 20's better than the 21's, they're not worth an extra $3,600 to us. Our typical daily range need is less than 150 miles, and we have L2 charging at home, so the 260-mile range of the standard pack would be plenty. In fact, it's MORE than the daily range we typically have on the large pack - 70% charge on the large pack is about 195 miles with 20's. Unlike the large pack, the LFP standard pack can be charged to 100% every day without harming the battery. Plus, our road trips are almost never longer than 400 miles, so it would still be just one charging stop with the standard pack.

I suspect many buyers have a similar use case to mine. But I think those with no prior EV experience are much more likely to spring for the large or max packs because they don't yet appreciate how much the ability to charge at home or work drastically reduces the range you need from a single "fill up." It will be interesting to see what typical EV range is 10 years from now, once many more people have made that mental switch.

What do you think? If you were ordering today, would the large pack or max pack, or performance dual motor or quad, be worth the extra $$$ to you?
Sponsored

RDB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90
I would go dual motor large pack over quad. I would still pay to get the color/wheel combo I wanted.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
As a May 2019 pre-order, I was very fortunate to get a Launch Edition R1S with a free AT wheel upgrade for the original price of $75,500. At today's price's, that configuration (quad motor, large pack, "All-Terrain Upgrade") costs at least $95,600. The "base" model (dual-motor, standard pack, 21" wheels) starts at $78,000. If I was as ordering today, I'd take the base model in a heartbeat. My only upgrade would be a possible color change to Glacier White or Limestone.

We love our R1S, but its specs are more than we need. We don't tow, don't off-road, don't care about race car acceleration, and while my wife and I like the look of the 20's better than the 21's, they're not worth an extra $3,600 to us. Our typical daily range need is less than 150 miles, and we have L2 charging at home, so the 260-mile range of the standard pack would be plenty. In fact, it's MORE than the daily range we typically have on the large pack - 70% charge on the large pack is about 195 miles with 20's. Unlike the large pack, the LFP standard pack can be charged to 100% every day without harming the battery. Plus, our road trips are almost never longer than 400 miles, so it would still be just one charging stop with the standard pack.

I suspect many buyers have a similar use case to mine. But I think those with no prior EV experience are much more likely to spring for the large or max packs because they don't yet appreciate how much the ability to charge at home or work drastically reduces the range you need from a single "fill up." It will be interesting to see what typical EV range is 10 years from now, once many more people have made that mental switch.

What do you think? If you were ordering today, would the large pack or max pack, or performance dual motor or quad, be worth the extra $$$ to you?
Sounds like you need to buy a R2.

OP
OP

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Law

Sponsored

OP
OP

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Law
As described in detail in my original post
Then the Kia EV9 is more appropriate. I Don't think Rivian has a mainmarket vehicle that is only large in size without being luxury in features.
As described in my original post, we already own a R1S and love it. If the only option available when I purchased was a 95k R1S, I probably would have bought it. Just seeking people's thoughts with their own purchase in hindsight. You have any?

Also, I don't consider the R1S to be that "luxury" in features. If I wanted real luxury that much, I'd probably get a BMW iX, beaver-teeth grille and all.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
As described in detail in my original post

As described in my original post, we already own a R1S and love it. If the only option available when I purchased was a 95k R1S, I probably would have bought it. Just seeking people's thoughts with their own purchase in hindsight. You have any?
Probably would have purchased something else if I were in your shoes. All the things it provided (partially, due to price point), you did not want/need... towing... acceleration... range. If I don't need all those things the value proposition of the entire product becomes poor, even at the cheapest option. A Nissan Ariya is a damn nice suv.

However if I was to purchase, dual motor standard range all day long would have been fine, but I would have been empted to go large pack for resale.

OP
OP

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Law
Probably would have purchased something else if I were in your shoes. All the things it provided (partially, due to price point), you did not want/need... towing... acceleration... range. If I don't need all those things the value proposition of the entire product becomes poor, even at the cheapest option. A Nissan Ariya is a damn nice suv.

However if I was to purchase, dual motor standard range all day long would have been fine, but I would have been empted to go large pack for resale.
Thanks for the free advice. But I would have declined it in 2019, and again in 2022. I wanted a 7-seat battery electric SUV that looked like a real SUV; ICE was not an option after owning a Tesla Model 3 since 2018, and I hate the form and function of the Model X. When I pre-ordered, there was only one on the horizon that fit the bill - the R1S. When I took delivery, there was only one in production that fit the bill - the R1S. And I did not have time to wait for real alternatives to hit the market. I also preferred to buy from a pure play EV company rather than a legacy company that's managing a transition from ICE vehicles. I love the R1S and wouldn't trade it for a EV9, Nissan Ariya, serviceable rickshaw, or any other mode of transport that your opinion finds more suitable for me.

Your point about resale value is a good one.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Thanks for the free advice. But I would have declined it in 2019, and again in 2022. I wanted a 7-seat battery electric SUV that looked like a real SUV; ICE was not an option after owning a Tesla Model 3 since 2018, and I hate the form and function of the Model X. When I pre-ordered, there was only one on the horizon that fit the bill - the R1S. When I took delivery, there was only one in production that fit the bill - the R1S. And I did not have time to wait for real alternatives to hit the market. I also preferred to buy from a pure play EV company rather than a legacy company that's managing a transition from ICE vehicles. I love the R1S and wouldn't trade it for a EV9, Nissan Ariya, serviceable rickshaw, or any other mode of transport that your opinion finds more suitable for me.

Your point about resale value is a good one.
I think you will find even the most stripped R1 model will have specs that are off the chart for what you need. It will still pretty much win against everything else out there. The main differentiaing factor is the price is so high, the percentage of cost difference of these options is fairly low, so the buyer is somewhat price insensitive. For example, I'm surprised at how many of the extra cost colors are selling, which do nothing for resale, but dodge could never get more than $600 for a special color on a 80k pickup.

Doesn't matter, buy what makes you happy. If I was buying for a fleet I'd do differently.

Sponsored

OP
OP

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Law
I think you will find even the most stripped R1 model will have specs that are off the chart for what you need. It will still pretty much win against everything else out there. The main differentiaing factor is the price is so high, the percentage of cost difference of these options is fairly low, so the buyer is somewhat price insensitive. For example, I'm surprised at how many of the extra cost colors are selling, which do nothing for resale, but dodge could never get more than $600 for a special color on a 80k pickup.

Doesn't matter, buy what makes you happy. If I was buying for a fleet I'd do differently.
I'll admit that some of the specs I don't need are still nice to have.

And my logic only takes me so far when choosing a car. The R1S looks pretty bad ass IMO. Any KIA, despite their rebrand, will always scream "cheap car" to me.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I'll admit that some of the specs I don't need are still nice to have.

And my logic only takes me so far when choosing a car. The R1S looks pretty bad ass IMO. Any KIA, despite their rebrand, will always scream "cheap car" to me.
I know. Problem Kia has. Nissan does too. Ironically, the best "legacy" ev tech right now is sitting in Hyundia Ionique, and Kia EVx. 800v, fast charge, good stuff. Ford/VW/Nissan/Chevy others just aren't there. Although Chevy might be in the future, nothing has shipped in volume from them that doesn't suck.

OP
OP

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Law
I know. Problem Kia has. Nissan does too. Ironically, the best "legacy" ev tech right now is sitting in Hyundia Ionique, and Kia EVx. 800v, fast charge, good stuff. Ford/VW/Nissan/Chevy others just aren't there. Although Chevy might be in the future, nothing has shipped in volume from them that doesn't suck.
I like what Hyundai is doing. If I suddenly had to replace my Model 3, It'd be looking very hard at the Ioniq 5.

tgo10000

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e, r1t, r1s
I’ve heard a lot of the Kia cheap car thing, not the case, let me welcome you to 2023 😜. If I didn’t need 7 seats probably bmw iX the efficiency and range is killer combined with the luxury. Also the Volvo EX90 I love the design and specs are less overkill but not sure about final pricing and range numbers.

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
I would buy another R1S, dual motor, large pack. Love the quad, but the acceleration is completely unnecessary; doing a proper launch hurts my head, I think I am getting old.
Sponsored