kyledmb

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Clubs

whoa...when I saw the pictures it looked like your R1S was in an accident. That is shockingly bad. Hope you can get this corrected in a reasonable way.
Sponsored

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

The R1T is unique, useful and perfectly sized for a truck.
I would disagree. If they'd lop the back seats off and give an extra 2-3 feet of bed space, then we'd be talking.

But I'll keep beating the dead horse for anybody to make a long bed EV truck until I die, LOL. 😆

Reactions: Rad

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I would disagree. If they'd lop the back seats off and give an extra 2-3 feet of bed space, then we'd be talking.

But I'll keep beating the dead horse for anybody to make a long bed EV truck until I die, LOL. 😆
I've got a sawzall and a welder if you're interested.

OP
OP
Quick

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T

As long as overall dimensions are kept the same, I'm open to new models :)

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
Our R1S has the same rear trunk / door gap. Seems to be par for the course with the R1S.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Yeah, same issue here, perhaps closer to 1/4" but on both sides. I've also noticed the seal at the upper right corner is pulling away and starting to roll over with the motion of the liftgate (seems to be attached with an adhesive which perhaps didn't bond properly). Mine goes in the shop tomorrow to see what they can do about it. The poor fit of the liftgate is really my only complaint about the vehicle so hopefully they can make some improvement. We shall see.
To follow up on this, in my case, they were able to significantly reduce the gap along the lower sides of the liftgate (the area below and just above the light bar). Went from as much as 1/4" gap on left and right sides to flush or just a slight gap. I am sooo much happier with the improvement. It's not perfect but it's pretty decent now. They also fixed the issue with the seal. The work was completed same day but a late meeting at work yesterday prevented me from picking up until this morning.

They couldn't do much about the alignment along the top edge but I didn't expect they would be able to. If you raised the liftgate up to align at the top, the light bar and lower edge would no longer align and those already have perfect vertical alignment on my vehicle.

Attaching before and after shots of the side alignment. Apologies that the angle and distance aren't exactly the same but I think they still convey the improvement.

before:
Rivian R1T R1S R1S rear door gap - fixable? PXL_20230310_175228410

after:
Rivian R1T R1S R1S rear door gap - fixable? PXL_20230405_233734549

OP
OP
Quick

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
To follow up on this, in my case, they were able to significantly reduce the gap along the lower sides of the liftgate (the area below and just above the light bar). Went from as much as 1/4" gap on left and right sides to flush or just a slight gap. I am sooo much happier with the improvement. It's not perfect but it's pretty decent now. They also fixed the issue with the seal. The work was completed same day but a late meeting at work yesterday prevented me from picking up until this morning.

They couldn't do much about the alignment along the top edge but I didn't expect they would be able to. If you raised the liftgate up to align at the top, the light bar and lower edge would no longer align and those already have perfect vertical alignment on my vehicle.

Attaching before and after shots of the side alignment. Apologies that the angle and distance aren't exactly the same but I think they still convey the improvement.

before:
PXL_20230310_175228410.jpg

after:
PXL_20230405_233734549.jpg
That's much better. I'd definitely be happy with that. Glad you got it sorted out.

I was at the SC today with my T to get the PAAK fixed and some other issues. While there, I explained I'd be back in a few weeks with the S for this issue, and showed them the pics. They all agreed they'd be able to improve it, though not get it to perfect. If the above is their interpretation of that, I'd be a happy camper.

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mercedes GLK 250, 2009 Mercedes E63
Occupation
Engineer

before:
PXL_20230310_175228410.jpg

after:
PXL_20230405_233734549.jpg
Do you know which bolts etc they messed with? I might try this myself at home. I can probably figure it out, but the more info we have the more some of us might be able to figure out exactly what the problem is.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Do you know which bolts etc they messed with? I might try this myself at home. I can probably figure it out, but the more info we have the more some of us might be able to figure out exactly what the problem is.
They didn't say. My suspicion is that it was an adjustment of the catch at the center of the tailgate since that is where the liftgate connects. The other possibility would be the side latches where the tailgate connects to the body but that would have messed up the tailgate alignment which was fine to begin with. Adjusting the top hinges also seems pretty unlikely.

OP
OP
Quick

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I wanted to update this thread - Rivian adjusted my rear door and it looks substantially better. Pics attached.

I have also decided to sell this car and keep my R1T. Great car, but I don’t need both.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S rear door gap - fixable? ED315263-A079-4869-A514-BFC828F3220A

Sponsored

SeaRivian23

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Good to know they can fix it. Here is mine. It’s the only gap/mis-alignment I can notice so I’ll be happy if it’s fixed. Gotta wait til June tho…

Rivian R1T R1S R1S rear door gap - fixable? IMG_6597

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Good to know they can fix it. Here is mine. It’s the only gap/mis-alignment I can notice so I’ll be happy if it’s fixed. Gotta wait til June tho…

IMG_6597.jpeg
Mr. Magoo runs QC still? :CWL:
Sponsored