First Name
Jag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Lexus GX470, RX350
Occupation
Engineer
I heard in one of the reviews Rivian may be coming out with running boards. DO not want to go for 3rd party if Rivian will offer one. Any experience with 3rd party ones that anyone would like to share, also any impact to Rivian warranty. I did mention this during my R1S delivery discussions and was told there might be a impact however the rep was vague.

I went with
https://evsportline.com/products/team-1ev-rmaxx-running-board-rock-sliders-for-rivian-r1t-r1s
Got them this week have installed them, attaching pictures of the R1S with boards and the tools used.

Boards are easy to install - I did it by myself took 2-3 hours considering everything - followed the instructions. Some tips below -
  1. R1S needs to be in off road mode max height.
  2. Used the 4 inch hole cutter, easiest method.
  3. I used the template provided in the instructions but made a hole to center with a regular drill bit, then used the 4 inch hole cutter, this saved time, you could also use the hole cutter on the template directly - take your time to get the template aligned correctly.
  4. Does not matter day or night take a light with you under the vehicle.
  5. Do not use a drill with the supplied TP55, almost took my hand off :) use a drive ratchet (pictured) with as long a handle as possible - it takes strength to unscrew the factory bolts.
  6. Careful when putting the bolts in with the running board attachments and tightening them back - make sure the threads are going in right.
  7. I placed the running board on two chairs then went under the vehicle to attach them.
  8. Before super tightening everything make sure the boards are lined up from the outside - will save you a few iterations.
They are a pleasure to use - Happy Family :like:

Rivian R1T R1S R1S running boards news ? IMG_0727

Rivian R1T R1S R1S running boards news ? IMG_0728
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sleektruck22

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE
Occupation
Property Management
Spoke to a Rivian engineer over the weekend.
He stated that if Rivian decides to release oem running boards, the vehicles would have to be retested by the EPA for range and efficiency and possibly go through another round of crash tests.

He said, aftermarket is the way to go for right now.
They have been working on heavier steering wheels to deal with the wheel shake at highway speeds and the delay in release is due to having to retest for crash tests.

For an oem to make changes, it's a huge undertaking.

He did comfirm that some excellent software updates will be rolling out soon.

Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

Spoke to a Rivian engineer over the weekend.
He stated that if Rivian decides to release oem running boards, the vehicles would have to be retested by the EPA for range and efficiency and possibly go through another round of crash tests.

He said, aftermarket is the way to go for right now.
They have been working on heavier steering wheels to deal with the wheel shake at highway speeds and the delay in release is due to having to retest for crash tests.

For an oem to make changes, it's a huge undertaking.

He did comfirm that some excellent software updates will be rolling out soon.
check these out: https://evsportline.com/blogs/rivia...an-r1s-with-triple-slot-thread-running-boards

https://evsportline.com/collections...running-board-rock-sliders-for-rivian-r1t-r1s

ajdill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Defender
I'm with you jkathlon. I typically side with OEM is best. It would be nice to know their plans for a winch as well. My guess is that no meaningful options will be available anytime soon as they are focused on pushing trucks out of the door.

Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Rivian needs to survive first and get to profitability. It’s trading dang near close to cash value right now.

Fixing common issues and getting ramped up is more important than accessories.

After that R2 will eat up all their resources.

Third party accessories is the way to go for couple years.

Last edited:
OP
OP

jkahlon

First Name
Jag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Lexus GX470, RX350
Occupation
Engineer
Another issue might be once they create running boards they will need to get the range numbers revised/certified. May not be worth the effort.

OP
OP

jkahlon

First Name
Jag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Lexus GX470, RX350
Occupation
Engineer
They look great mine will come in July. Did you take off the plastic under protection or left them on and just cut holes to give access to the support fittings.
Sponsored