Sponsored

R1S Specs vs R1T Specs

Rivian1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE
Nice chart. I didnt realize the truck was over 400 mm longer than the SUV. That's a lot.

ColoradoRivian

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE
Can anyone clarify "Overall Height (Curb)" as it relates to vehicles like these with an air suspension? With over 6" of height adjustment on the suspension it seems the height should have a max and min rather than be a fixed height.

This matters to those of us in ski country who'd have ski boxes on the roof during the winter and still want to slide into a low garage. Being able to geofence the suspension so it kneels to the lowest setting automatically before pulling into the garage would be the kind of feature that expands the buyer base significantly out here. Thanks!

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Does the 3rd row REALLY take up that much battery space? 100 miles worth?
The batteries will be assembled into modules of 15 kWh each. Each Rivian will have 7, 9, or 12 modules depending on the battery option ordered. Pictures I have seen indicate the modules will lie between the ladder rails of the chassis. I suspect the third row is eliminated with the 180 kWh pack because the 3 additional modules will occupy the space between rear rails into which the third-row seats would fold down to open up the cargo space. Just guessing, though.

Sponsored

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can anyone clarify "Overall Height (Curb)" as it relates to vehicles like these with an air suspension? With over 6" of height adjustment on the suspension it seems the height should have a max and min rather than be a fixed height.
I think you might be able to derive the range from other data in the spec chart. Overall R1S height of 1820 mm is measured at "curb height". It says "curb mode" ground clearance is 285 mm. "Kneel" ground clearance is 205 mm -- or 80 mm lower than curb clearance. And "offroad" ground clearance is 365 mm -- or 80 mm higher than curb clearance.

Thus is would appear that the minimum overall height is 1740 mm (68.5"), and the maximum overall height is 1900 mm (74.8") -- for an adjustment range of 6.3".

You would subtract 5 mm (0.2") from the height figures for the R1T.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
I just so happen to be doing some work (clean up) in my garage today when I came across my tape measure and ironically decided to do some measuring on clearance of both the R1T and R1S entering and parked in my garage. Using the "Overall Height (Curb)" measurements I have about an inch or two of clearance to the bottom of my raised garage door. But then a few questions arose about this "Overall Height" measurement, e.g. what is the top measurement based on, the roof line? If so, how much taller would the vehicle be with roof rails? Wait, pictures of the prototypes don't show any rails as it looks like the crossbar attachments look to be flush with the roof or very close to it. So that begged the question, how much taller is the vehicle with the crossbars on?

With regard to "kneel/park" ground clearance (height mode) I hadn't given it much thought beforehand as I just assumed it was only available while not moving, in other words, not available in drive or reverse. After all, "kneel" and "park" imply a movement while standing still. But if that's the case, kneel mode wouldn't be available to, say, drive or back-in the vehicle into or out of your garage. But then that seems silly to limit it that way; perhaps it's available when in drive or reverse but only at very low speeds? As you can tell I have no experience with a vehicle that can be lowered for, say, entering/exiting the vehicle or loading/unloading cargo. Minimally I know the Tesla M-X has different height clearances, though I don't know if it has something like a kneel/park/squat height mode. Look forward to any replies from those who have or know of vehicles that have such a mode and how it operates and when it's available.

Being able to geofence the suspension so it kneels to the lowest setting automatically before pulling into the garage
Now that would be a sweet feature. :like:

Last edited:

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla has a geofence feature, so perhaps Rivian will take a page from that book. If a Tesla approaches a driveway ramp for which the car has been raised before, it will automatically raise the car. It also automatically raises a garage door upon approach if the door's operating code has been programmed into the car.

However, I don't believe Tesla has a specific kneel mode (or at least my 2015 doesn't). It does lower at highway speeds, but I don't know if it goes to the minimum height setting. Also, if I lower the Tesla to the lowest height setting available on the control menu, I don't detect it raising itself if I begin to move. However, it is so subtle that it might be difficult to detect when moving.

It sounds as if you have a 7'0" tall garage door, which was the standard for many years. I would hope that Rivian would have researched things such as garage door heights and taken them into account. However, I know of more than one person who bought a large American SUV and was surprised to find that it couldn't be put in his garage. These days garage doors in new construction are more typically 8'0" tall, a change instigated by the growing use of SUV's.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
The batteries will be assembled into modules of 15 kWh each. Each Rivian will have 7, 9, or 12 modules depending on the battery option ordered. Pictures I have seen indicate the modules will lie between the ladder rails of the chassis. I suspect the third row is eliminated with the 180 kWh pack because the 3 additional modules will occupy the space between rear rails into which the third-row seats would fold down to open up the cargo space. Just guessing, though.
Don't forget the wheelbase of the R1S is shorter than the R1T, so the rails you mentioned will be shorter as well.

ColoradoRivian

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE
I think you might be able to derive the range from other data in the spec chart. Overall R1S height of 1820 mm is measured at "curb height". It says "curb mode" ground clearance is 285 mm. "Kneel" ground clearance is 205 mm -- or 80 mm lower than curb clearance. And "offroad" ground clearance is 365 mm -- or 80 mm higher than curb clearance.

Thus is would appear that the minimum overall height is 1740 mm (68.5"), and the maximum overall height is 1900 mm (74.8") -- for an adjustment range of 6.3".

You would subtract 5 mm (0.2") from the height figures for the R1T.
Great reasoning HMP10, thank you, and great discussion all around.

Yes, I'm wrestling with an older 7' garage door. An Audi Q7 with the lowest-profile roofbox made and factory bars will safely fit under my door. If Rivian is able to fashion a very low-profile set of bars and allow a geofenced kneel to roll into the garage I'd be in good shape with an R1S as well. These are two big if's that could add many inches if they don't go right, but given the number of 7' garage bays and parking garages around I'm hopeful this is on Rivian's list. A low-profile rack system wouldn't hurt aero either, I'd think.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I am fairly confident that those are the lowest profile crossbars that we will see. Due to them needing to lock in place and be able to be unlocked in all weather conditions, with gloved-hands or not. As far as geolocating heights, I have no doubt in my mind they will do that too. Tesla gives you the ability to jack up the nose of the car for speed bumps and geofences it all from the infotainment center. I dont know why Rivian wouldnt follow suite but in the opposite direction or the vehicle possibly being too tall. That would be a great question to ask for those going to ATL. Hopefully Brian Gase or Jeff Hammoud will be in attendance to answer that question. Other than RJ, I feel those two would be the best to ask about that.
Sponsored