R1S vs. Fisker Ocean One

89hoya

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram 1500, 2019 Model 3, 1995 Bronco
I had a Fisker Ocean reservation for my wife and was invited to be one of the first 5,000 to take delivery (for a mere $5,000 non-refundable deposit). My wife just called from my R1T and told me to drop the Fisker reservation and reserve an R1S. She has a Model 3 and was considering the Model Y until we took delivery of the Rivian.
Sponsored

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Thanks for posting, I have been thinking about this issue this week as well! I have both an R1S (Nov '21 reservation) and an Ocean for which I need to decide whether to pull the trigger on the One. The reality is that I do not need the 3 row seating etc. of the R1S, but its awesomeness is hard to overstate. The Ocean is certainly going to be more efficient and faster charge time (smaller battery) for road trips. It should have incrementally better range (350 with smaller wheels). But for only $7k difference in price (my configuration) you are getting sooo much more vehicle with the Rivian, that it is almost insane not to stick with the R1S and let go of the Ocean. Hmm...

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I had a Fisker Ocean reservation for my wife and was invited to be one of the first 5,000 to take delivery (for a mere $5,000 non-refundable deposit). My wife just called from my R1T and told me to drop the Fisker reservation and reserve an R1S. She has a Model 3 and was considering the Model Y until we took delivery of the Rivian.

The non Refundable part is a little odd but Id say do it, worse case can sell if you dont like it. my only concern is the lack of detailed information (we thought Rivian was bad) about the fisker tech specs wise.

IThinkFreely

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Bronco Badlands
I have one of those Ocean One invites also. I can't fire off a 5K non refundable deposit for a company with a bankruptcy record like Fisker. I hope they do well - as a I do all EV makers - but I have less hope for Fisker at the moment than Rivian.

Last edited:

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
CEO
Thanks for posting, I have been thinking about this issue this week as well! I have both an R1S (Nov '21 reservation) and an Ocean for which I need to decide whether to pull the trigger on the One. The reality is that I do not need the 3 row seating etc. of the R1S, but its awesomeness is hard to overstate. The Ocean is certainly going to be more efficient and faster charge time (smaller battery) for road trips. It should have incrementally better range (350 with smaller wheels). But for only $7k difference in price (my configuration) you are getting sooo much more vehicle with the Rivian, that it is almost insane not to stick with the R1S and let go of the Ocean. Hmm...
Towing capacity was the biggest determining factor for me, the Fisker won't meet our needs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
89hoya

89hoya

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram 1500, 2019 Model 3, 1995 Bronco
My Ocean One pre-order invitation from July 8th was supposed to expire after seven days or 5,000 reservations. Very telling that my pre-order window is still open 10 days after the initial invitation.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
My Ocean One pre-order invitation from July 8th was supposed to expire after seven days or 5,000 reservations. Very telling that my pre-order window is still open 10 days after the initial invitation.
Well, seeing as how much they are asking and non-refundable, this makes sense. But once sold out they have 5k very solid orders.

Siguy90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I also was invited to put down the 5k for an Ocean One. I am still in my window to do it but I am going to pass. Initially I wanted the Ocean since I didn't need a larger 3 row SUV like the R1S however I have much more faith in Rivian then Fisker. The biggest issue is putting down a 5k non-refundable deposit for a car I have never seen/driven and has had no journalists review.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I also was invited to put down the 5k for an Ocean One. I am still in my window to do it but I am going to pass. Initially I wanted the Ocean since I didn't need a larger 3 row SUV like the R1S however I have much more faith in Rivian then Fisker. The biggest issue is putting down a 5k non-refundable deposit for a car I have never seen/driven and has had no journalists review.

Gotta give it to Fisker, a good way to give business a boost and stave of the "bankrupcy" image is to have thousands of orders ready to go on launch. It's just that they haven't done much to allay fear they'll find themselves circling the drain again. I've seen a couple of YouTube videos with people in what I assume is a prototype. But nothing out on public roads and being tossed around, even on a closed course. I'm not even sure based on the website when this thing is supposed to launch.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I've seen a couple of YouTube videos with people in what I assume is a prototype. But nothing out on public roads and being tossed around, even on a closed course. I'm not even sure based on the website when this thing is supposed to launch.
I think this is the issue with the $5k non -refundable deposit. You're essentially being asked to fork over 10% of the cost while only really knowing mostly what it looks like and what the manufacturer is telling you the specs are. That's a lot to ask given the competitive landscape right now.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Magna being the manufacturer and owning 6% of Fisker instills confidence, but I'm already into Rivian as my beta for this decade.

Siguy90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Gotta give it to Fisker, a good way to give business a boost and stave of the "bankrupcy" image is to have thousands of orders ready to go on launch. It's just that they haven't done much to allay fear they'll find themselves circling the drain again. I've seen a couple of YouTube videos with people in what I assume is a prototype. But nothing out on public roads and being tossed around, even on a closed course. I'm not even sure based on the website when this thing is supposed to launch.
It's not even that. According to the email production is starting in November and these 5k cars will all be delivered by September 2023. So there's a high chance I'll have my Rivian before then anyway. One good thing they have going for them is using the Magna plant in Austria which has already been building many other cars.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
It's not even that. According to the email production is starting in November and these 5k cars will all be delivered by September 2023. So there's a high chance I'll have my Rivian before then anyway. One good thing they have going for them is using the Magna plant in Austria which has already been building many other cars.
The reason it says it will take till 9/2023 to deliver them all is because of the worldwide market....the US and Europe will be receiving them early on. Planned capacity is to ramp up to 5k a month, as they will also build the Extreme alongside the One.

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

I got the invite too but I'm not interested in paying the premium for the Ocean One, I'd rather wait for the $50K "Ultra" version and/or the R1S. The $5K non-refundable deposit is also a dealbreaker for me, given the lack of info/track record etc.

The R1S seems to be a lot more vehicle for the money, backed up by a company with a lot more resources, tons of glowing reviews, thousands of actual customer deliveries. By the time we get one Rivian will have a year+ track record, well established service network, RAN charging network, etc. The Ocean looks good on paper, but they're asking for a lot of money and trust right now when they haven't delivered any vehicles yet, no real reviews, history of bankruptcy etc.

I bet they aren't getting a lot of takers for the $5k deposit. They're clearly inviting everyone who reserved an Ocean regardless of whether they configured the launch edition "One" or a less expensive configuration.

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I wouldn't give Fisker $.50 if it was non-refundable. Not with his track record.:asshat:
Sponsored