First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I didn’t see anything listed about maximum supported weight, did I miss it? Agree, I’d be interested in the cab height version if they ever come out with one
800lbs static, 300lbs dynamic
Sponsored

RANGE INDUSTRIES

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
range-industries.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Looks great, does it mount to the factory crossbar points? How involved will it be to mount and remove from the truck? I currently have my RTT mounted to the crossbars and it's a very quick process to just unclip the whole thing and lift it right off the truck. I'd like to be able to do that with a rack system like yours if possible.
For all of our R1T racks we use 303 stainless steel u-nuts to interface with the factory crossbar points. We tried a number of different attachment methods but ultimately decided we wanted to prioritize strength and stability over mounting speed. Rivians factory crossbars are very slick with how easy the are to install and remove from the vehicle, however, in our opinion they leave a lot to be desired in terms of rigidity and stability. With our lower racks (Badwater and Sierra) there are two 5/16"-18 bolts per corner that thread into the stainless steel u-nuts. If one was to remove all 8x mounting bolts (with RTT attached), they should be able to lift the rack and RTT off together, then re-install in the same fashion. Definitely a little slower than the factory crossbars, but should be a sub 5 minute job.

Our roof level rack will feature a very similar mounting style where after removing 2X 5/16"-18 bolts per corner (8 bolts total), you should be able to lift the entire rack off as an assembly. I'll include some photos of our u-nuts and uprights for our Badwater rack so you guys have a better idea of how our systems work.
Rivian R1T R1S R1T Bed Rack:  Sierra Rack System IMG-5679
Rivian R1T R1S R1T Bed Rack:  Sierra Rack System IMG-5693
Rivian R1T R1S R1T Bed Rack:  Sierra Rack System IMG-5697

ElectrifiedOverland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Porsche 911, Mercedes ML350
Occupation
Pilot
Clubs

For all of our R1T racks we use 303 stainless steel u-nuts to interface with the factory crossbar points. We tried a number of different attachment methods but ultimately decided we wanted to prioritize strength and stability over mounting speed. Rivians factory crossbars are very slick with how easy the are to install and remove from the vehicle, however, in our opinion they leave a lot to be desired in terms of rigidity and stability. With our lower racks (Badwater and Sierra) there are two 5/16"-18 bolts per corner that thread into the stainless steel u-nuts. If one was to remove all 8x mounting bolts (with RTT attached), they should be able to lift the rack and RTT off together, then re-install in the same fashion. Definitely a little slower than the factory crossbars, but should be a sub 5 minute job.

Our roof level rack will feature a very similar mounting style where after removing 2X 5/16"-18 bolts per corner (8 bolts total), you should be able to lift the entire rack off as an assembly. I'll include some photos of our u-nuts and uprights for our Badwater rack so you guys have a better idea of how our systems work.
IMG-5679.jpg
IMG-5693.jpg
IMG-5697.jpg
Thanks for the detailed look, I think this is a solid solution and the 5 minutes that it’ll take to run the bolts in and out is simple enough. I really like this rack as a way to reclaim bed access with a tent mounted, I’ll probably place an order this spring.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Nicely done @RANGE INDUSTRIES. Those ubolts look robust. Agree with the notion that the OEM crossbar hook and clamp system combined with the adjustable middle section make them less than solid.

Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Looks pretty nice and a better price than other options, wish it was cab height for my kayak!
Yes, cab height would be great for kayaks, lumber, etc.

Flabirder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model S P100DL

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y

avigneault

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Awesome! Now I’m curious to know the efficiency hit of this and a 4-person roof top tent. :)
Long story short: SEVERE. There's no getting around aerodynamics. She's a harsh mistress. Expect to cut your range by 30%, roughly.