Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

So I got home from shredding some powder on Mt Hood yesterday. When I finished unloading my boards from the bed I went to close the tonneau cover. It came within 4 inches of closing and stopped after which none of the exterior storage access buttons work anymore.

Included buttons that are no longer functioning: Gear Tunnel both sides, tailgate, tonneau cover or front trunk.

Charge port door still works and I can close the front trunk with the exterior button (but not open as stated above). The main screen still will operate those doors.

I have reported it to service, will see what they propose. My guess is a fuse?? Will update once it is resolved.
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Kinda seems like as wiring harness for the buttons may have come loose.

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
I had this happen and a restart corrected it.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Kinda seems like as wiring harness for the buttons may have come loose.
Itā€™s possible, I was thinking fuse the way it failed while the tonneau was closing. Just seems random. That was my first thought, I checked the wire for the tailgate/tonneau button.

I had this happen and a restart corrected it.
Yeah Iā€˜ve done a reset and also a software update and no change.

raultherivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
What was this issue! I have the exact same one - the entire back half of the vehicle is unresponsive (gear tunnel, power tonneau, tailgate) but the truck drives just fine.

A soft and hard reset didn't work. Sleep mode hasn't worked.

I had this happen a month ago and it "fixed" itself, now it's happening again and would love insight into what it will take to fix it. The service folks stated it was a "wire harness" issue, but I"m just perplexed right now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

What was this issue! I have the exact same one - the entire back half of the vehicle is unresponsive (gear tunnel, power tonneau, tailgate) but the truck drives just fine.

A soft and hard reset didn't work. Sleep mode hasn't worked.

I had this happen a month ago and it "fixed" itself, now it's happening again and would love insight into what it will take to fix it. The service folks stated it was a "wire harness" issue, but I"m just perplexed right now.
Like in your case mine just went away as well, when the called back finally (weeks later) I told them it had been resolved. I wonder if it will return for me as well.

raultherivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The first time it happened was exactly as you described, the power tonneau was closing, stopped, then everything went haywire (buttons not working etc).

The second time (this time), It was a different experience this time, the tonneau stopped about 1 inch from being closed although I didn't observe everything stopping working at that time.

One thing I have noticed is that the taillight flickers during charging, a single taillight on the right side.

Last time, driving was able to resolve the issue. I'm supposed to get service tomorrow, so we'll see if they can actually diagnose it.

The service reps I have spoken to have not heard of this issue and I haven't been able to find any other mentions on this forum or the owner's forum of similar issues.

I am VIN ~3500, so it's a fairly early vehicle.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Thereā€™s usually a table in the owners manual listing the fuse locations/ratings. Otherwise thereā€™s usually a sticker on the back of the fuse box door.

Waitā€¦

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
My tonneau driver's side tonneau button did this today (I didn't try the other buttons). Soft reset didn't resolve it but I backed out of my garage and then put it in park and then it worked again.

raultherivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Alright, they turned it around in < 24 hours. There was a grounding wire that was not properly attached. It was causing a short that gave me the symptoms above. They found it quickly,. were able to re-attached it.

Since then, I have taken it offroading pretty heavily in the Nor Cal rains, no issues in sight and the tonneau actually appears to have more power.

I would say my issue is resolved. I also called support back and informed them of the issue, so now others may be aware as well.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Exterior Storage Access Buttons Stopped working IMG_5727
Sponsored