First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Took an R1T out on a road trip today, almost 400 miles total. Pouring rain, blasting the AC. This one has 20 inch all terrians. I had it in conserve mode on the lowest suspension setting the entire time, driving almost exclusively on the highway between 70-80 mph.

This thing is so impressive. I averaged 2.38 mi/kWh or a theoretical ~320 miles of range at highway speeds. I didn't pay attention to the efficiency at all. I just drove the way I wanted.

I thought the 20s would absolutely eat the range but they didn't. It's so nice to be able to drive on the highway with tires this size and actually get the rated range. Two big thumbs up.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T's range is so impressive, even on 20" tires. Averaged 2.38 mi/kWh on 400 mile road trip foto_no_exif (1)
Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Took an R1T out on a road trip today, almost 400 miles total. Pouring rain, blasting the AC. This one has 20 inch all terrians. I had it in conserve mode on the lowest suspension setting the entire time, driving almost exclusively on the highway between 70-80 mph.

This thing is so impressive. I averaged 2.38 mi/kWh or a theoretical ~320 miles of range at highway speeds. I didn't pay attention to the efficiency at all. I just drove the way I wanted.

I thought the 20s would absolutely eat the range but they didn't. It's so nice to be able to drive on the highway with tires this size and actually get the rated range. Two big thumbs up.

foto_no_exif (1).jpg
Similar experience here. Coming from Tesla, which is always 70% of rated range when driving on the highway.

Ivman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Y Performance, 2016 Ram Rebel, R1T
Clubs

Now I'm really curious what's going on with my truck (or me). My road trips thus far with similar speeds, I am averaging 1.75 - 1.95 at best, in conserve mode.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

foto_no_exif (1).jpg
Refreshing good news.

Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Now I'm really curious what's going on with my truck (or me). My road trips thus far with similar speeds, I am averaging 1.75 - 1.95 at best, in conserve mode.
Tire pressure? I’m running 48 psi, cold. Bad wheel alignment on your rig, perhaps?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Do you have tires on yours at all?

Ivman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Y Performance, 2016 Ram Rebel, R1T
Clubs

Do you have tires on yours at all?
I knew I was forgetting something!!

Really though, I do know it needs an alignment, and im fairly certain tires are inflated enough, but will double check. I considered increasing the psi to experiment if it'll help either way.

It is baffling to me how bad my range is. It doesn't bother me all that much, but leaving 30-50 miles on the table sure does suck. My range is like 265 if I am lucky.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Dang, that’s good. I haven’t been patient enough to leave it in conserve long enough, I always end up switching it out. I normally get about 2.15. Mountains probably hurt it a bit though.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Do you know what the elevation change was on your trip? Or wind?

Similar numbers to what I am seeing. I do a ~190mile trip each way a few times a month. Slight elevation increase going and slight decrease coming home. About 1/3 highway and 2/3 country roads mostly 55 with 25/45 through towns. Getting anywhere from 2.25-2.4 on the way there and 2.35-2.5 coming back. The one variable I never really pay attention to is wind.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

foto_no_exif (1).jpg
This is exactly what I’ve been seeing. I’ve done multiple trips around Colorado and 320 miles is what I usually calculate in Conserve mode.

But here’s the thing. On a highway trip, if I actually try I can get higher. If I draft behind a semi truck, at a safe distance, my efficiency goes way up. I need to try a long trip where I do that more than 50% of the time.

OP
OP
itselectric

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
This is exactly what I’ve been seeing. I’ve done multiple trips around Colorado and 320 miles is what I usually calculate in Conserve mode.

But here’s the thing. On a highway trip, if I actually try I can get higher. If I draft behind a semi truck, at a safe distance, my efficiency goes way up. I need to try a long trip where I do that more than 50% of the time.
I agree! I bet you could push it to 350+ depending on a few variables. My 21s can get 350+ pretty easily if I just drive the speed limit in conserve mode.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH

foto_no_exif (1).jpg
The 61 mph average is the clue.

If you take pics of the energy graph on the left of the instrument panel very 15 minutes then tack them altogether you'll see the same numbers as others report … I break it into three segments of expected efficiency to give me "quick math" to manage estimated SoC at destination.

Time spent below 60 mph is above 2.2, slow-n-go traffic can be 2.5+, 70 mph is 2.2, 80 mph is 20%+ less efficient than 60 mph (check the Out of Spec video 1.6 mi/kWh with cold weather in the R1S which is not proving to be more efficient than the R1T.)

Get that Average Speed number up to 70 and efficiency goes below 2.2 mi/kWh.

With wind, hills or weather (keeping the battery warm) efficiency will be below 2.0 just trying to maintain a 70 mph average (which is not easy in some parts of the country like California with a lot of 65 mph freeways and lot of incompetent drivers refusing to move out of the left lane and incapable of passing a truck and getting out of the way.)

I'm not driving at 65 mph, I set the cruise at speed_limit+7 mph until about 50% of the way to the next charging stop then I modulate speed to arrive with estimated 5% remaining SoC at the next stop.

What I did recently was drive the uphill sections (climbing from sea level across a mountain range at 7000+ feet.)

The challenge is crossing the country in 75 and 80 mph speed limits with inadequate charging. It would be great to have a charging network of 500kW+ chargers every 50 miles and a vehicle capable of absorbing a flat charge curve … blast along at 85 mph, get 1.5 mi/kWh, drive two or three hours, charge for 20-30 minutes. EVs need to get to that "gallon of gas" equivalent efficiency.

ref:

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Yea I get nowhere near this on 20s. I drive 50:50 city:highway and my truck has averaged 2.1 over 2500 miles. For reference I've driven my vehicle Aug 19 to present in GA. No weather ever colder than 40 degrees, and mostly over 55.

In 70 degree weather driving 77 in all-purpose (second lowest setting) on cruise control my truck's efficiency is only ~2.0/2.1. Even with conserve I only get a very slight efficiency bump to ~2.15-2.2, so i tend not to use it. Haven't tried very lowest ride height because I want a softer ride.

Several of us noted this in other threads, but I think the latest update has significantly hurt my efficiency. And no it is not likely to be due to do temp since lows have only been in the 60s the last week at my house.

Edit: I think on conserve I could stretch my range to 300 miles if I slow down to 70 mph speed limit on a highway trip. Not worth it IMO.

OP
OP
itselectric

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Yea I get nowhere near this on 20s. I drive 50:50 city:highway and my truck has averaged 2.1 over 2500 miles. For reference I've driven my vehicle Aug 19 to present in GA. No weather ever colder than 40 degrees, and mostly over 55.

In 70 degree weather driving 77 in all-purpose (second lowest setting) on cruise control my truck's efficiency is only ~2.0/2.1. Even with conserve I only get a very slight efficiency bump to ~2.15-2.2, so i tend not to use it. Haven't tried very lowest ride height because I want a softer ride.

Several of us noted this in other threads, but I think the latest update has significantly hurt my efficiency. And no it is not likely to be due to do temp since lows have only been in the 60s the last week at my house.
Hmm, interesting.

I can only add one more anecdotal bullet point which is that my 21s get this very easily and consistently, even on the highway. I know there's supposed to be a 10-15% penalty between the two. The weather here has been about the same. It was raining a ton yesterday for the stats above.
Sponsored