First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Sierra, 2019 Subaru Ascent
Occupation
Accountant
Now I'm really curious what's going on with my truck (or me). My road trips thus far with similar speeds, I am averaging 1.75 - 1.95 at best, in conserve mode.
I’m right there with you on the range/efficiency. My average since taking delivery sits at 2.06, 5k miles, with only the occasional heavy acceleration.

Finally took it in for service to have it checked out and the tech made it sound like I’m right in the middle of their expected efficiency. Even with my 5 mile/day vampire drain. Told me nothing was wrong with the truck.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my R1T, but at the same time I have no idea how people are posting these efficiency/range numbers. I’m lucky to have 50 miles of range left at the end of a trip when the nav says I should arrive with 80, and this is city driving with the Regen on.

Im in Texas, but it’s hard to believe that it’s just the heat.
Sponsored

Deleted member 7086

In checking your tire pressure I would not rely on the Rivian tire pressure sensors. I have found mine to be rather inaccurate but of course most are. A good hand gage is helpful.

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
I’m right there with you on the range/efficiency. My average since taking delivery sits at 2.06, 5k miles, with only the occasional heavy acceleration.

Finally took it in for service to have it checked out and the tech made it sound like I’m right in the middle of their expected efficiency. Even with my 5 mile/day vampire drain. Told me nothing was wrong with the truck.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my R1T, but at the same time I have no idea how people are posting these efficiency/range numbers. I’m lucky to have 50 miles of range left at the end of a trip when the nav says I should arrive with 80, and this is city driving with the Regen on.

Same. 2.08 after 3k miles - no road trips.

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
2.1 gives about 200 miles of usable range if charging to 90% and keeping a 10% buffer, right? Not amazing, but good enough for my road trips.

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Limestone, 21Inch
I cannot overstate how much impact wind (and to a lesser extent, elevation) have on range. On a trip from Austin to Ft Davis in west Texas last week, I averaged around 1.9 heading west at 70-75mph with a strong headwind and over 2.9-3.1 coming back while doing 80!

So when I hear these stories about amazing or terrible efficiency, the first thing Iwant to know is where and in what conditions.

Sponsored

Ivman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Y Performance, 2016 Ram Rebel, R1T
Clubs

I cannot overstate how much impact wind (and to a lesser extent, elevation) have on range. On a trip from Austin to Ft Davis in west Texas last week, I averaged around 1.9 heading west at 70-75mph with a strong headwind and over 2.9-3.1 coming back while doing 80!

So when I hear these stories about amazing or terrible efficiency, the first thing Iwant to know is where and in what conditions.

In my case, it was in October with mild temperatures in California, driving straight down (south) i5 at 70mph, averaging 2 mi/kwh in conserve mode before getting to any elevation changes. When going up the grapevine in southern California, I averaged 1.1 mi/kwh, when going down I averaged 2.45 mi/kwh.

So good to know my downhill was about as good as people's average with normal driving conditions lol.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

2.1 gives about 200 miles of usable range if charging to 90% and keeping a 10% buffer, right? Not amazing, but good enough for my road trips.
Isn't there 135kWh usable?
So 90% charge puts you at 121.5kWh x 2.1 would be more like 255
Someone more knowledgeable feel free to correct if my information is not accurate.

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Isn't there 135kWh usable?
So 90% charge puts you at 121.5kWh x 2.1 would be more like 255
Someone more knowledgeable feel free to correct if my information is not accurate.
My understanding is 125KWh usable. So 80% x 125 x 2.1 = 210 miles.

OP
OP
itselectric

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
My understanding is 125KWh usable. So 80% x 125 x 2.1 = 210 miles.
The usable battery I believe is much more than this. I think closer to 130-132kWh.

The drive.com says 125. Motor trend says 133. CNBC reported 129. I believe it was tested to be 130 ish but trying to find that data as we speak.

Last edited:

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Sponsored

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Now I'm really curious what's going on with my truck (or me). My road trips thus far with similar speeds, I am averaging 1.75 - 1.95 at best, in conserve mode.
Nothing wrong, all the trucks will behave the same under the same conditions, which means the conditions were markedly different between the two observations.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
This is exactly what I’ve been seeing. I’ve done multiple trips around Colorado and 320 miles is what I usually calculate in Conserve mode.

But here’s the thing. On a highway trip, if I actually try I can get higher. If I draft behind a semi truck, at a safe distance, my efficiency goes way up. I need to try a long trip where I do that more than 50% of the time.
If you do that and average under 70mph, the range on 20's is close to 375.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various

Keep in mind that the lifetime average includes all of the daily short trips, which have the worst efficiency of any driving that you will do (same as in an ICE vehicle). It takes a good 20-30 minutes of driving before you settle into an efficiency operation. So all of those 15-30 minute errand run type trips lower your average efficiency.

For most people, a long trip at highway speeds in Conserve will delivery greater efficiency than their overall average for this reason (ignoring cold, elevation or wind impacts on that trip). For me, overall average is about 2.2 using AP Standard 99.9% of the time. A long flat trip at 70mph in Conserve I would expect to beat that number, perhaps 2.25-2.3.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

If you do that and average under 70mph, the range on 20's is close to 375.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone claim 375miles of range on 20" ATs. Not sayin' it's not possible but I've never heard it claimed. Also, I live in Colorado. Considering the mountain ranges that I drive over, I'll be very happy with 320.
Sponsored