First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
I just love that this does absolutely nothing to help the other 95% of the country where we have ZERO RAN chargers. Maybe it should start being called the RCAN - Rivian CALIFORNIA Adventure Network 🙃

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I just love that this does absolutely nothing to help the other 95% of the country where we have ZERO RAN chargers. Maybe it should start being called the RCAN - Rivian CALIFORNIA Adventure Network 🙃
No Rivian...just California Adventure Network "CAN"

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
Hopefully I have my R1T in time for my trip in June/July! Already have our campsite booked to see the Redwoods this summer :)

I love the one with "trailer only" stencilled on it!

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
This one is near an existing EA charger. I’d rather RANs are built in the gaps

Sponsored

caleb.johns

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Y
I wish rivian would blast out an email every time a new charger went live...it wouldn't be that many emails =/

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

theyoungone,

I'm with you on this issue. I get the desire to build out the RAN where much of the Rivian population lives, but if these are truly "Adventure Vehicles", fill in the map of the U.S. to allow us to adventure throughout the land. At the very least, fill in the blank spots that look so glaring within the RAN map. A level 3 station or two peppered here and there, where nothing currently exists, will allow all of us easier access to the areas that these vehicles were built to conquer.

I've been talking about Central/Eastern Oregon, Northern Nevada, and the Intermountain West area for years. Putting one of the early stations in Madras, Oregon, is a great start, but another in Burns, Oregon, would make East-West and North-South traverses of Oregon possible. I know a number of Rivian owners here who would love to open up Steens Mountain and the Alvord Desert to exploration. As of now, rolling across that vast part of my state involves an adventure that puckers the backside. None of the major networks have done much there. Just because Anxiety and Adventure are close in the dictionary doesn't mean they were intended to be neighbors that barbeque together. Others have, and hopefully will continue to chime in about other locations in need of some, or any charging, including your state of Alabama. Afterall, Tesla's widescale adoption really came about once the "no-roll zones" were filled in with Superchargers.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Photos taken by Michael C

326532536_625040489386707_8702136002546030296_n.jpg
326278168_5926329834090304_4180023506516369845_n.jpg
"EV Trailer Parking Only" … oh brother, the market people think they've come up with something so clever … : )
Why didn't they just put a smilie face there and a painted QR code to a rick roll video … : )

The rick roll video should play on the pedestal screen as the user drives forward out of the spot and realizes it's too tight to turn left without hitting the pedestal or swinging the rear of the trailer into the post with the yellow concrete on the passenger side … "never gonna hurt you …"
Rivian R1T R1S RAN Rivian charging stations currently being installed in Crescent City, CA 1675158063435

Also, I think the installation got the angle parking out of whack by 90 degrees, the pedestal screen should be visible by the driver while seated in the vehicle, the cable should be oriented to be at the left front of the vehicle to be near the charge port. The trailer parking drive-thru pedestal is correctly oriented relative to the parking space.

Anyway, I think the RAN pedestal design is as if having learned nothing from charging pedestals. I guess it has learned to have a touchscreen instead of nothing, but the cable is inflexible, the CCS connector is junk (keeping in mind, it's proprietary to the R1, Rivian could have used the Tesla connector / NACS) and had a CCS adapter for DCFC CCS sites. Each pedestal should have a number and a color-coded status. The number would indicate which pedestal is going to be available for maximum kW next, the color code would indicate "fastest, average, slowest" and malfunctioning status.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

CCS connector is junk (keeping in mind, it's proprietary to the R1,
CCS is the North American standardized connector. Absolutely not proprietary. Rivian just doesn't have the network open to every vehicle. My guess is Rivian will hit that milestone before Tesla anyway.

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Zero chargers in Texas so far, they are cutting off the “free” long before I’ll ever see a RAN charger. Meh 🫤. Good thing it looks like others are jumping in the ring (MB/Shell/BP), one day I’ll be able to leave the major interstate corridor on a trip …
Sponsored