Sponsored

Recommendations for home charger?

Broncosmang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Would love to just get the Rivian, but $800 just seems crazy given the prices of other well reviewed chargers.

this is my first ev so would love to know if you all have a recommendation. Thx!
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I have the Rivian Wall EVSE and I like it. It looks nice and the handle feels like a quality piece. It is expensive, however.

If I had to choose another hardwired option, I'd strongly consider the Wallbox Pulsar Plus 48A. I really appreciate it's diminutive size and pleasant appearance. The handle isn't quite as nice as the Rivian unit, but it's acceptable.

If you want a NEMA 6-50 or 14-50 option, then I'd go with the Grizzl-E Classic or Smart. The quality of the enclosure is excellent, and the price is also quite affordable.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I have the ChargePoint Home Flex and it has been rock solid. It supports both plug-in and hard wired installs (I'd recommend hard wired if at all possible).

Sponsored

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
I'd say don't go crazy for now if interested in a future Rivian bidirectional V2H charger they said will come. Using a simple Juicebox here for now with a NEMA 14-50 plug.

firstchair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I have the ChargePoint Home Flex and it has been rock solid. It supports both plug-in and hard wired installs (I'd recommend hard wired if at all possible).
We have this one and like it, and there was a local rebate (Excel energy in Colorado) the charger qualified for.

Reactions: R1z

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
We are running both Rivian and ChargePoint Home Flex. Both provide solid, great power. Both direct wired.

That said, I like the CP a bit more as the cable is not so thick and is more pliable during cold weather and for cable storage.

CobraJerky

First Name
Cobra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Commercial HVAC Service
I recommend a quick check with your local PUD. They might have some discounts there as I picked up my Emporia charger for $150. I charge my R1T at 40 amps (as well as the wife's Model Y) using a 14-50 though you can hard wire it and get 50 amps.

Rivian R1T R1S Recommendations for home charger? Screenshot_20230528_171616_Edge

NoGoingBack

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, R1T
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

The Emporia charger is a great value and is usually around $399. Itā€™s also a smart charger and you can monitor all your charging stats and energy usage. If I hadnā€™t got the Rivian charger at the original price I would have bought the Emporia.

Sponsored

TexasCrane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep, Subaru, R1T
I have the rivian evse at the original price. For the current price, I would go with the wallbox instead.

dgennetten

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Would love to just get the Rivian, but $800 just seems crazy given the prices of other well reviewed chargers.

this is my first ev so would love to know if you all have a recommendation. Thx!
I have a $500 price lock on the Rivan Charger which I don't think I'll use.

I'm holding out for the (probably very expensive) bi-directional charger that RJ mentioned is in the works.

BradSholl

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, BMW M3, GMC Yukon
I can also recommend the Emporia. I paid $399 without any incentives. Iā€™m currently charging at 40A plugged into my 14-50 outlet, but plan on hardwiring to get 48A. I donā€™t need scheduled charging because my rate isnā€™t time sensitive, but itā€˜s available. Itā€™s upgradable, easy to set up and has worked flawlessly so far.

Timothykf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Bolt; 2022 R1T Forrest/Black
Get any level 2 charger. I have a 4 yr old ChargePoint at hm. Works great for the R1T and Chevy Bolt.

downranger12

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x, 2018 Toyota Prius
Occupation
retired optometrist
I have the Rivian Wall EVSE and I like it. It looks nice and the handle feels like a quality piece. It is expensive, however.

If I had to choose another hardwired option, I'd strongly consider the Wallbox Pulsar Plus 48A. I really appreciate it's diminutive size and pleasant appearance. The handle isn't quite as nice as the Rivian unit, but it's acceptable.

If you want a NEMA 6-50 or 14-50 option, then I'd go with the Grizzl-E Classic or Smart. The quality of the enclosure is excellent, and the price is also quite affordable.
I have both of these at two different locations. I am getting 28 to 29 miles of range out of a 60 amp breaker trough a 60 foot hard wired run.
With the Grizzly, I'Ā³m getting 18 miles of range per hour from a 40 amp breaker.
Sponsored