First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P100D, 98 TJ, Silverado SS, 18 Camaro 2SS
Occupation
IT
It is a math thing…. Calculated out at the nominal 3.6 volts the Samsung batteries published spec has it is 135 kWh for the 7776 cells. The image has it at 3.92 volts which would the calculate out to the 141 kWh.

Very curious about the software update RJ mentioned giving more range though. Is it more optimization, reducing the reserve?
In my experience with new EV's the manufacturer starts with a very big reserve, then ups the usable capacity based on data from the current fleet and battery deg. Seems like the deg is good enough they think they can up the reserve.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
In my experience with new EV's the manufacturer starts with a very big reserve, then ups the usable capacity based on data from the current fleet and battery deg. Seems like the deg is good enough they think they can up the reserve.
That is what I have seen as well but their reserve is not that big. If it is based on 3.6 volts we are hearing 125 or 127 usable kWh so they only have between 8 and 10 kWh in reserve. If somehow they have figured out they can get 3.75 volts out of the cells making it a 141 kWh pack then that could be another 6 kWh.

if they can find they can get another 10 kWh usable from the pack that could be 20 more miles. It will be interesting to see what transpires next year.

Gobnu

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Pilot
I haven't listened to it, but I wouldn't have too much enthusiasm for increased range. Ford Mach E ranges increased by 3 miles to 17 miles (https://insideevs.com/news/555287/2022-ford-mache-more-range/) for 2021 vs 2022. More range is obviously better, but I would not expect anything significant. Rivian could be unlocking more of their battery, or maybe slight software changes, or maybe they will be losing weight for new builds.

I am much more interested in the R2, but I would not expect them to show that for at least 1-2 years. They don't want anything to steal attention from the R1, at least for now.

Or end up like the R1's or Cybertruck; products that are announced 5 years before you can actually get one.
Sponsored