Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Also, any speculations as to what those holes in the middle of my pic are for? My finger didn't fit šŸ‘‰
Grommets to run wires between cab and frunk.
Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
PXL_20220426_230040062.jpg

Also, any speculations as to what those holes in the middle of my pic are for? My finger didn't fit šŸ‘‰
Pre-planned wiring pass-throughs for the winch?

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Definitely 2 12v batteries under there.
PXL_20220426_230452328.jpg

Shoot, forgot to check the filter. But it looks like this.
PXL_20220426_230040062.jpg

"Ventilate well" suggests a cheap battery, not sealed ā€¦ and is the battery in the same enclosed space as the cabin air filter?

Flexnet

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sold 9/08/22 - 15 Ford F-150 Platinum FX4 off-road
Occupation
Project Manager
"Ventilate well" suggests a cheap battery, not sealed ā€¦ and is the battery in the same enclosed space as the cabin air filter?
Yeah, that proximity of the 12v batteries to the cabin air filter is a little concerning. Anyone have other thoughts?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Yeah, that proximity of the 12v batteries to the cabin air filter is a little concerning. Anyone have other thoughts?
I have vehicles where the battery is in the passenger compartment. It isnā€™t a problem for other brands, so not sure why you think itā€™s a problem for Rivian?

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I have vehicles where the battery is in the passenger compartment. It isnā€™t a problem for other brands, so not sure why you think itā€™s a problem for Rivian?
this is a vented battery, not sealed. not necessarily a problem.

Flexnet

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sold 9/08/22 - 15 Ford F-150 Platinum FX4 off-road
Occupation
Project Manager
this is a vented battery, not sealed. not necessarily a problem.
I guess I didnā€™t realize ā€œventedā€ meant fumes were vented somewhere safe. I initially thought they were just vented at the top of the battery and could release fumes to that air intake.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I guess I didnā€™t realize ā€œventedā€ meant fumes were vented somewhere safe. I initially thought they were just vented at the top of the battery and could release fumes to that air intake.
My Miata had a vented battery and had a vent tube that attached and vented outside the vehicle.

SeattleSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Nissan LEAF
Do you see room for a winch to be mounted in the front? With the weight of this truck a large winch.
I stumbled on your question in this year-old thread. I am very much interested in figuring out a winch solution, too. Have you learned more information since your question here, @Blueassassin?

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I stumbled on your question in this year-old thread. I am very much interested in figuring out a winch solution, too. Have you learned more information since your question here, @Blueassassin?
Nothing...

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I posted some marked up images indicating where the winch is (apparently) meant to be installed. The two, small 12V batteries wouldn't power a winch, so there would need to be an additional battery. There's no access to the winch location, so it would need to be a WARN with remote control of the winch clutch (for free spool.) I think there's potentially sufficient space to "stuff" a battery under the frunk, away from the airflow through the radiator (which is a mess anyway.)

azzurro

First Name
Demetrio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CHevy Bolt EUV, Fiat 500E
Occupation
Engineering Technician
Clubs

Am I seeing vented fender liners? Surely this isn't for aero since there's no exit path for the air... right?
see that CRF (Radiator fan) in the front??? it drwas air trought the condensor and radiator and out the sides.

joshtish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Information Technology.
I posted some marked up images indicating where the winch is (apparently) meant to be installed. The two, small 12V batteries wouldn't power a winch, so there would need to be an additional battery. There's no access to the winch location, so it would need to be a WARN with remote control of the winch clutch (for free spool.) I think there's potentially sufficient space to "stuff" a battery under the frunk, away from the airflow through the radiator (which is a mess anyway.)
Are you sure youā€™d need an additional battery? I suppose if you wanted to operate the winch while the HV system is offline, maybe, but when the truck is ā€œonā€ (aka, after youā€™ve pressed the brake pedal), it should be using the DC-DC converter to bear the load, no?

Rivianā€˜s configuration is such that each 12V battery is powering half the vehicle, so the maximum available to you is 13.6AH (136.2wH), and I canā€™t imagine that you could draw much instantaneously from a battery that small, and even if you did, it wouldnā€™t last long at all, as you said.

Even a 100-watt lighter socket accessory could be taxing on a battery of this size, and yet each one is rated for 10-amps, with separate fusing.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Are you sure youā€™d need an additional battery? I suppose if you wanted to operate the winch while the HV system is offline, maybe, but when the truck is ā€œonā€ (aka, after youā€™ve pressed the brake pedal), it should be using the DC-DC converter to bear the load, no?

Rivianā€˜s configuration is such that each 12V battery is powering half the vehicle, so the maximum available to you is 13.6AH (136.2wH), and I canā€™t imagine that you could draw much instantaneously from a battery that small, and even if you did, it wouldnā€™t last long at all, as you said.

Even a 100-watt lighter socket accessory could be taxing on a battery of this size, and yet each one is rated for 10-amps, with separate fusing.
I wouldn't want to touch the already finicky 12V batteries. I'd rather have a beefy battery capable of dealing with the winch as a separate system and its own charger (again without connecting to the vehicle 12V.)
I don't understand the "cost saving" (?) Rivian has pursued (e.g. limited 12/110V outlets, deleting the winch, etc.) I think it's still possible to get a winch in there with a sturdy cradle. Not sure where to get onboard power to supply a charger. It would be nice to have a 100A charger keeping the winch battery ready.

joshtish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Information Technology.
I wouldn't want to touch the already finicky 12V batteries. I'd rather have a beefy battery capable of dealing with the winch as a separate system and its own charger (again without connecting to the vehicle 12V.)
I don't understand the "cost saving" (?) Rivian has pursued (e.g. limited 12/110V outlets, deleting the winch, etc.) I think it's still possible to get a winch in there with a sturdy cradle. Not sure where to get onboard power to supply a charger. It would be nice to have a 100A charger keeping the winch battery ready.
I guess my point is, you only would be taxing the batteries themselves if you were trying to run the Winch while the truck is not powered on. When the truck is on, you would instead be drawing from the DC-DC converter, just as the batteries themselves are. If you put the winch on its own circuit using an available fuse in one of the fuse boxes, and ensure youā€™re using a fuse that only works when the truck is in ready state, you should be just fine. Iā€™d love to know more about the DC-DC converter and itā€™s capacity for load, though.

Iā€™m not sure where you would get power if not from the 12VDC environment. It would be incredibly hacky and dangerous to mess with the 400VDC closed system for this, but I suppose that would technically be possible. Otherwise, putting a 100A charger on the 12VDC environment is already more than the batteries can handle alone, relying on the DC-DC converter just like the winch itself would be (Though admittedly not drawing 300-400A like the winch would be directly)
Sponsored