First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P100D, 98 TJ, Silverado SS, 18 Camaro 2SS
Occupation
IT
Long story short I just want to get my tonneau closed instead of waiting for an appointment for Rivian to do it for me while they try and figure out how to repair them. Has anyone put together a guide? There is a video on youtube but its already torn apart so I can't see how much of a hassle it was to remove the side plastic covers and the cover above the panels. It feels to me like it all just clips in but I dont want to break stuff if that isn't the case.

Rivian R1T R1S Repairing a stuck-open tonneau DIY? 20221021_125729

Edit: So I took a crack at it. Not very hard. All of the plastic just pulls right up except for the one right behind the rear glass. I took these pictures backward as I had already ripped it apart. Pull up the side plastics and then the little plastic covers behind the rear glass that cover up these torx, then pull those out.
Rivian R1T R1S Repairing a stuck-open tonneau DIY? 20221024_115823

The top cover will be removed (with the plastic on it). Kind of a pain because it flips behind the rear glass, and its basically impossible to install again without undoing the torx bolts that hold it to the cover, installing the metal cover again, and just relying on the clips to hold the plastic cover in place.
Rivian R1T R1S Repairing a stuck-open tonneau DIY? 20221024_114304

Oddly enough... I seem to be missing an entire slat...
Rivian R1T R1S Repairing a stuck-open tonneau DIY? 20221024_121532

I wanted it closed for the aero benefit but it looks like thats out the window so I may rip it all apart again and leave it in the open position.
Sponsored

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
There's no real DIY, unfortunately. I just did this the other day and basically you just pull up on the trim pieces along the side of the bed (just near the cab, don't need the whole thing). Then the two corner plastic pieces also pull up. All of these are hard to do and you definitely risk breaking the weird clips they use.

Once those are up, you have some Torx bolts (3 each side) you can undo which gets that long cover across the back of the cab.

This is where things begin to suck. Getting that part out is a challenge due to how it fits behind the window. But getting it back in is even harder to do. Maybe you can get the tonneau moving after only unbolting it and not actually taking it out, although I can say that having it out of the way allows you to really move around the panels while they're stuck in their various crooked forms.

I want to say I had mine apart, fixed, and back together within two hours. But now my tracks are SUPER jacked up because after getting it set to full open, my child hit the button and now it's completely hosed again. I have 5 panels that are showing and all crooked and barely interlocked and one stuck right at the loader. I'm going to have Rivian fix it this time because I'm pretty sure those plastic clips are not going to survive another removal from me.

Beachbum

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
6 months, 5000 miles, and approximately 20-30 opening closing events for the cover, it finally died. Now it looks horrible, can't stow my bike, poor aero, :mad:

Despite constant application of PTFE dry lube (see stains in image), I believe a small stick or other tree dropping is the culprit.

DIY does not look promising. I'll try Rivian service to remove it and request being as high as possible on the rework once it ever starts.

Update 11-Mar-23
Mobile service will remove cover 22-Mar

Rivian R1T R1S Repairing a stuck-open tonneau DIY? B14D60FE-2FD5-46E8-8838-999A3F28D621
Sponsored

Last edited: