First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Just an FYI after having to do a few resets myself. There are 3 types of reset (that I know of). This is from Rivian support and might be helpful to others in the future.

Sleep Reset
Rivian must be unplugged from charger, nothing plugged into any USB ports, Inverter off, all seatbelts unbuckled, no one in the vehicle. Then lock and walk away for at least 30 minutes.

Infotainment Reset
Hold the far left and far right buttons on the steering wheel for about 15 seconds. This fixes issues having to do with the screens, hotspots, Alexa not working, glitchy navigation, etc.

Full reset
Hold the far left button on the steering wheel and the emergency flasher button for about 15 seconds. The entire computer will restart.
According to Rivian support DO NOT RESET AGAIN FOR AT LEAST 1 HOUR after this procedure. There are multiple systems that may take a bit longer to fully come up after this reset.
Sponsored

fletch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Sleep Reset
Rivian must be unplugged from charger, nothing plugged into any USB ports, Inverter off, all seatbelts unbuckled, no one in the vehicle. Then lock and walk away for at least 30 minutes.
Is there any way to tell whether the truck has gone to sleep? Maybe something to look for in the app or the infotainment screen after it wakes back up?

bdavis171

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I wish the USB requirement wasn't there for the sleep reset as I leave my phone charger plugged in all the time.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
I wish the USB requirement wasn't there for the sleep reset as I leave my phone charger plugged in all the time.
Is it a charger, or a cable? Because I doubt a cable will even register at the hardware level, much less the software level. A passive cable shouldn't do anything other than just be longer copper wires.

(That being said, I know Apple cables have chips in them, so they could potentially cause issues.)

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
The hard reset ("full") is better left alone. It doesn't fix problems and there is a risk of losing data. I did one under instruction from software support and they were concerned to be sure I didn't reset again.

Sponsored

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales
I was told by one of the service techs last week during service that there is a possibility of messing up the power steering during the Full Reset. He told me not to touch/turn the steering wheel while doing this reset.

Novo-caine

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ5 and allroad
I just had to do the full reset a couple of hours ago as I was 25 miles out from the Orlando service center and my truck went into a slow power down mode and gave me time to pull over. Not cool. I was on my way to a service appointment bc I believe I’m having an overheating issue. After the reset it was functional and I made it safely to the service center and of course all of the service icons and warnings disappeared just as I was pulling in. I’ll update later this week as soon as I know more about what’s going on.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Earl
I just had to do the full reset a couple of hours ago as I was 25 miles out from the Orlando service center and my truck went into a slow power down mode and gave me time to pull over. Not cool. I was on my way to a service appointment bc I believe I’m having an overheating issue. After the reset it was functional and I made it safely to the service center and of course all of the service icons and warnings disappeared just as I was pulling in. I’ll update later this week as soon as I know more about what’s going on.
[/QUOTEarly adopter woes

Aka_Buck

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3P, 530e
Occupation
Work
Truck wouldn't connect to EA chargers so I thought it was them not the truck. Drove to a shell power station and same issue. Wouldn't initiate charge. Moved to a second unit near the 6.7kwh charger just in case and did the hard reset. Plugged back in to the DC charger and it started charging immediately.

EastPondR1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escalade and Bmw 550
Occupation
Healthcare executive
Clubs

I have 5000 miles and first major issue. Completely dead. Non of the resets worked. 200 miles was on the range. Sitting in my garage. Went to get in for an important meeting and nothing. Dead. No reverse or forward or resets nothing. Very disappointing. No loaners and no rentals until the next day.
Never felt so disappointed. Plus the Rivian rep suggested I am liable for the tow unless the technician says it’s a warranty issue. I mean a 2 month old vehicle dead in my garage with 200 mile range last checked when I parked it 3 hrs earlier seems like a warranty issue to me.
We shall see how this plays out now.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
..Plus the Rivian rep suggested I am liable for the tow unless the technician says it’s a warranty issue.
I think they are required to read that disclaimer.. just so you can't say "I wasn't told that".

"Dead truck"..... will 100% covered under warranty as will the tow- don't sweat it.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Is there any way to tell whether the truck has gone to sleep? Maybe something to look for in the app or the infotainment screen after it wakes back up?
The top right of the app will have a button that says “wake vehicle”

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
Just an FYI after having to do a few resets myself. There are 3 types of reset (that I know of). This is from Rivian support and might be helpful to others in the future.

Sleep Reset

Infotainment Reset
Hold the far left and far right buttons on the steering wheel for about 15 seconds. This fixes issues having to do with the screens, hotspots, Alexa not working, glitchy navigation, etc.

Full reset
Hold the far left button on the steering wheel and the emergency flasher button for about 15 seconds. The entire computer will restart.
According to Rivian support DO NOT RESET AGAIN FOR AT LEAST 1 HOUR after this procedure. There are multiple systems that may take a bit longer to fully come up after this reset.
I think I just ran into this today with the seat belt thing. Was wondering why my truck wasnt going to sleep after the update. It was a pure coincidence that my wife also left a seat belt (front passenger) buckled so perhaps that's why it didnt sleep.

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
I think I just ran into this today with the seat belt thing. Was wondering why my truck wasnt going to sleep after the update. It was a pure coincidence that my wife also left a seat belt (front passenger) buckled so perhaps that's why it didnt sleep.
It was the reason it wasnt sleeping. That's a bit crazy, hopefully they fix that.

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
My twraps phone charger pad (over the built in charging pad) is always plugged in and has no effect at all on the reset. I’ve used each type of reset several times…
Sponsored