Sponsored

Reviewers Saying JANUARY for R1S Deliveries

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
Didn’t want to derail R1T excitement with my bitching, but I now count at least two reviewers saying the R1S starts in January:

1) MT in the Reddit AMA said not until next year.
2)Electrek’s review said the same.
Rivian R1T R1S Reviewers Saying JANUARY for R1S Deliveries BF8CD17C-79CF-4587-8AF5-078D25FD0FCF

It doesn’t seem likely any of us is getting a SUV this year. Wish Rivian would clarify…
Sponsored

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
The lack of honest, open, and PRO-ACTIVE communications about these kinds of changes is increasingly frustrating.

atlastracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Honda Pilot
For at least the MT comment (I was the one that asked about a delay). They were referring to the inclusion of the R1S in the SUVOTY. Which is actually determined in August (they replied after). The confusing part was the quoted timelines - but those were for consideration in their TOTY category.

I do think it's unlikely R1S deliveries happen in Nov as they've said. And they are not being very forthcoming with information at all. While I'm sure that is to control messaging ahead of their IPO - it leaves a bad taste for prospective customers.

OP
OP
paariv

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For at least the MT comment (I was the one that asked about a delay). They were referring to the inclusion of the R1S in the SUVOTY. Which is actually determined in August (they replied after). The confusing part was the quoted timelines - but those were for consideration in their TOTY category.

I do think it's unlikely R1S deliveries happen in Nov as they've said. And they are not being very forthcoming with information at all. While I'm sure that is to control messaging ahead of their IPO - it leaves a bad taste for prospective customers.
Yeah, I saw that conversation and appreciate the clarification and reminder.

It was, of course, informal so we should draw limited conclusions from it. But he didn't correct the statement to say "actually, they're supposed to start deliveries this year;" instead, he focused on OTY deadlines, which is a somewhat different issue.

Also, I now recall Lieberman from MT saying the R1S is a long way off.

I'd feel better if there were literally any counter-signals (like other reviewers saying R1S deliveries will happen this year). As-is, it sure sounds like Rivian employees are informally telling journalists/insiders something quite different than their public messaging. Which is a bad practice.

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
"The R1T was first. The R1S sport utility vehicle is in a preliminary production stage called “tooling trial” right now; Fields expects customer vehicles to be in production before December.

“That’s the dance, of keeping the quality high on the R1T, getting the quality ready on the R1S, and keeping those going at the same time,” Fields said."

https://www.wglt.org/local-news/202...lDdA3CHEB0Fw7yZ06yql-TLNOI1tvFaTetQX26lKgxsG4

Sponsored

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
"Eventually, Rivian plans to run two shifts six days per week, with rotations so that people are working 40 hours per week. Currently, the body shop and battery and drive unit areas are running two shifts, although paint and general assembly can meet current demand with one shift."

IlliniRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
It is really exciting to see the R1T and all the reviews but it is way past time for Rivian to offer some (even small) update on R1S timing. R1S is half of Rivian's non-Amazon customer base and it'd be nice if we could get a little more information than "your Guide will contact you by November if you hold an LE reservation."

OP
OP
paariv

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It is really exciting to see the R1T and all the reviews but it is way past time for Rivian to offer some (even small) update on R1S timing. R1S is half of Rivian's non-Amazon customer base and it'd be nice if we could get a little more information than "your Guide will contact you by November if you hold an LE reservation."
In the end, I'd guess that the R1S is likely to be more than half of their business: SUVs are king these days.

I'm glad we get the benefit of them working out the kinks of the R1T launch and seeing real-world issues develop and get addressed before we take delivery. I'd just like them to, as you say, give us the tiniest morsel of additional information. This is a big purchase, logistically and financially, and it'd be really nice to be able to plan for it.

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I expect we can derive some information from Rivian's established schedule. Like the latest scheduled deliveries that I've seen right now are for January. If they already have vehicles scheduled through January, I'd be surprised if they started scheduling a mass of R1S vehicles between then. It seems more likely to me that theyve fully planned production and delivery capacity through January so no R1S until then at least.

Not to be a party pooper, but we also know that they want to get through all LE R1Ts by spring, but there's been some talk of non-LE R1Ts being a bit further out (like non-LE not getting guides until end of 2022 or 2023). I wonder if that will mean that they're planning to do LE R1Ss after all the LE R1Ts are out the door in spring, but before the bulk of non-LE R1Ts.

Reactions: dfx

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
Agreed, love all the excitement around R1T reviews. It would be great if Rivian can be bit more transparent about R1S.

Sponsored

OP
OP
paariv

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I expect we can derive some information from Rivian's established schedule. Like the latest scheduled deliveries that I've seen right now are for January. If they already have vehicles scheduled through January, I'd be surprised if they started scheduling a mass of R1S vehicles between then. It seems more likely to me that theyve fully planned production and delivery capacity through January so no R1S until then at least.

Not to be a party pooper, but we also know that they want to get through all LE R1Ts by spring, but there's been some talk of non-LE R1Ts being a bit further out (like non-LE not getting guides until end of 2022 or 2023). I wonder if that will mean that they're planning to do LE R1Ss after all the LE R1Ts are out the door in spring, but before the bulk of non-LE R1Ts.
I wouldn't assume they're planning to go through all or mostly all R1Ts before R1Ses. I expect R1Ts to be prioritized, especially given the headstart in production and likely difficulties in parallel-tracking/switching between the two models. But as far as I know, all of the talk of finishing LEs by Spring wasn't limited to the R1T.

Either way, I'm not expecting much before 2022, and (as always) a little more comms from Rivian would go a long way...

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
"The R1T was first. The R1S sport utility vehicle is in a preliminary production stage called “tooling trial” right now; Fields expects customer vehicles to be in production before December.

“That’s the dance, of keeping the quality high on the R1T, getting the quality ready on the R1S, and keeping those going at the same time,” Fields said."

https://www.wglt.org/local-news/202...lDdA3CHEB0Fw7yZ06yql-TLNOI1tvFaTetQX26lKgxsG4
Thanks, this is useful info. If I were to guess, January will be to the R1S what September currently is to the R1T. I.e. reviews, press events, the very first deliveries etc.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I'm just taking the approach that my delivery is at least 6 months out until I hear otherwise.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
I'm just taking the approach that my delivery is always at least 6 months out until I hear otherwise.
fixed that for you

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
In the end, I'd guess that the R1S is likely to be more than half of their business: SUVs are king these days.

I'm glad we get the benefit of them working out the kinks of the R1T launch and seeing real-world issues develop and get addressed before we take delivery. I'd just like them to, as you say, give us the tiniest morsel of additional information. This is a big purchase, logistically and financially, and it'd be really nice to be able to plan for it.

None of us have the numbers, but the R1T is Rivian's flagship product. I highly doubt that more than half their pre-orders are for the R1S.

Besides a handful of people, we also do not have any guide contact or real timetable for the R1T. The vast majority of us are in the same boat waiting for more information on sale and delivery.
Sponsored