Sponsored

Reviewers Saying JANUARY for R1S Deliveries

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
The same reviewer did an AMA on Reddit and said that based on his conversations with Brian Gase and others, he wouldn't be surprised if the R1S doesn't show up until 2023.

So either he has some serious insider info on 2 things...or possibly his facts mixed up on 2 things. Who knows.

The two engineers I talked to made it sound like it wasn't really very close. They've got mules that have been seen recently around CA, IL, and CO. My short conversation with Special Projects chief, Brian Gase, really made me feel like they were trying to get the R1T produced at scale before beginning R1S production.

Iā€™m guessing 2023 based on the way they talked.
Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

The same reviewer did an AMA on Reddit and said that based on his conversations with Brian Gase and others, he wouldn't be surprised if the R1S doesn't show up until 2023.

So either he has some serious insider info on 2 things...or possibly his facts mixed up on 2 things. Who knows.
To be clear, the 2023 date is pure speculation on his behalf. He is simply inferring that it will take them a full year to ramp up R1T production to the point where they add R1S to the mix. That's a pretty big step to take and goes against all other guidance from Rivian. Their stance has always been R1S is only going to be a couple months behind R1T. "R1T produced at scale" probably just means they are shipping at a steady rate of a few hundred a week to real customers, not that the line is at full capacity.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
To be clear, the 2023 date is pure speculation on his behalf. He is simply inferring that it will take them a full year to ramp up R1T production to the point where they add R1S to the mix. That's a pretty big step to take and goes against all other guidance from Rivian. Their stance has always been R1S is only going to be a couple months behind R1T. "R1T produced at scale" probably just means they are shipping at a steady rate of a few hundred a week to real customers, not that the line is at full capacity.
Totally agreed. Apologies if that's not how it came across. Just wanted to share the comment since I came across it.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

My take on the R1S launch timing is focused on quality: if procurement and production are such that Rivian can start producing SUVs before the end of 2021 and quickly ramp up from there, then thatā€™s great! If they run into issues with anything unique to the R1S and those issues slow production and delivery then thatā€™s fine with me, too. Iā€˜d rather have a vehicle with solid quality, regardless of when if gets delivered.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

My take on the R1S launch timing is focused on quality: if procurement and production are such that Rivian can start producing SUVs before the end of 2021 and quickly ramp up from there, then thatā€™s great! If they run into issues with anything unique to the R1S and those issues slow production and delivery then thatā€™s fine with me, too. Iā€˜d rather have a vehicle with solid quality, regardless of when if gets delivered.
Especially since they are relying on mobile service / have very few physical locations.

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Especially since they are relying on mobile service / have very few physical locations.
We go so far off-road on trails that we spend a lot of time without cell reception so we couldnā€™t get vehicle service or towing dispatched easily. Reliability is important for us. Weā€™ve used Land Rovers to explore off-road since 2013 and we havenā€™t been stranded by a mechanical failure yet. I want to keep that record going with our Rivian.

atlastracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Honda Pilot
I placed a 2nd preorder for an r1t in August. I figured we'd have our LE R1S (Dec 2018) long before I need to commit to know whether we want both.

I'd laugh (and then cry) if they came at same time....or even the truck first. ?

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

This would explain my previous question on why they wouldnā€™t have had an R1S along for the TAT adventure. If it was only a month or two off then it seemed like a missed opportunity but if it is more than that then I can begin to understand.

Odd though that if it is still so far off then why/how did they get the EPA numbers for it?

2023 is super speculative and most likely not accurate IMO but Iā€™m doubting anything in 2021

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
Anybody think the semiconductor shortage could be causing some bigger delayā€™s than anticipated? Focus all chips on r1t? Ris on back burner? Letā€™s hope we get some clarityā€¦

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Anybody think the semiconductor shortage could be causing some bigger delayā€™s than anticipated? Focus all chips on r1t? Ris on back burner? Letā€™s hope we get some clarityā€¦
Itā€™s not just the chip shortage the entire supply chain across multiple lanes is in turmoil. See this article on the Ports Of LA and Long Beach.

It is hard to say what materials Rivian has or to what level they have been able to mitigate the supply chain but it certainly is an issue for many companies, not just the automotive industry, that people will be working around for months if not years.

Sponsored

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Guess I'm going to have to plunk down a deposit for an R1T Max Pack and see which one comes first.

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It is kind of weird that the R1S could be anywhere from a month or two away to a year or two away. I get that they don't want to move the conversation away from the R1T's thus far positive launch but they should say something.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
It is kind of weird that the R1S could be anywhere from a month or two away to a year or two away. I get that they don't want to move the conversation away from the R1T's thus far positive launch but they should say something.
I agree - looking back at all the reviews, there was almost no mention of the R1S. Like zero. Usually you'd expect reviewers to tack that on somewhere since it is a variation of the R1T, but it makes me think they were specifically asked not to talk about the R1S. And yet, Rivian employees had no apparent problems discussing with these folks that the timeline might be further out than expected.

It might be one of those situations where if Rivian's answer is "we don't know how long it will be", there's no point issuing any sort of statement about it until they get clarity first. All speculation at this point ... can only turn back to cheering the success of the R1T, because the sooner those orders get pushed out the sooner they will hopefully get to the R1S.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
šŸŒ²šŸŒ²R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
I only placed my pre-order for R1S in early September, so I don't expect to get one until very late 22 or sometime in 23. :crying: But seeing as I'm in So Cal, deliveries will be prioritized where they can service/deliver vehicles so you never know. As a back up I have 2x reservations for the Lyric (reservation process was a mess and it turned out that my reservations went through to two different dealers even though the site never gave confirmation!), but I completely expect that in the end the Cadillac dealers will add some sort of ridiculous markup at the 11th hour and I'll just bail on that.

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
I've been on fence to switch to the R1T, and this might just push me over the edge. While a 7 seater would be nice, 5 seats, a kitchen, and a tent - this year - would be amazing. I don't get why they wouldn't just say something to LE holders about when they actually expect to build / deliver the R1S. I am guessing they are still working things out with it. I asked a lot of questions recently about middle and back row, and CS didn't know anything. I don't think they've finished engineering it or something, but at the same time it seems much simpler.

If it's a silly as waiting to get an award for another year... :swear:
Sponsored