Sponsored

Ride quality R1S vs R1T? Should I be worried about reviews?

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
I only drove the R1T at the First Mile so I cannot really compare but I have the R1S since Sep. of last year. I love driving the R1S (I put it on Stiff), love the ride quality, love the acceleration and love how it handles in hazard weathers. The fastest I got to was 100 on I-10 which I felt pretty safe at high speed, and I had been driving pretty fast with my other cars before.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Car reviewers are like movie reviewers, only trust the ones you know to have the same taste as you have.

Everyone has different preferences and taste, many people could complain about something you find decent or rave about something you think is horrible.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Car reviewers are like movie reviewers, only trust the ones you know to have the same taste as you have.

Everyone has different preferences and taste, many people could complain about something you find decent or rave about something you think is horrible.
True, but Car and Driver said the ride quality of the R1S was lacking relative to the R1T, so we have a baseline for the reviewer's taste. In any case, we did get OTA ride quality updates on the R1T, maybe the R1S is catching up.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
True, but Car and Driver said the ride quality of the R1S was lacking relative to the R1T, so we have a baseline for the reviewer's taste. In any case, we did get OTA ride quality updates on the R1T, maybe the R1S is catching up.
The longer wheelbase on the R1T is smoother compared to the R1S but I am not seeing the porpoising that several reviewers stated, also not seeing the twitchiness.

Best I can compare my R1S to is similar characteristics as my Jeep GC with the air suspension in straight lines/highway but the R1S corners way flatter with much less sway.

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S QM 21
After banging around on potholed city roads for 1,500 miles, my R1S felt different but I thought it was in my head. Upon delivery, it was fine but I couldn’t quite find a setting that comfortably handled said terrible roads. “Flinty” was the word a magazine reviewer used and I, begrudgingly, agreed. Then I crested that 1,500 mile point and it seemed to settle. Now at 3,700 it’s noticeably more balanced and comfortable. My theory is —and I had similar tho not as pronounced with a Jeep Grand Cherokee w air suspension years back— that the air springs need breaking in. Only a theory. But, my R1S rides great now and noticeably better than when I received it. Am I the only one?
Edit/ I’m on 22s.
Total agree!, coming from a minivan, the first couple of days (maybe even a whole week) driving the R1S was a steep learning curve for me. I had to get used to the acceleration/regen braking, steering, ride height, etc. The overall ride felt harsh, and steering felt sloppy. I've driven both 21 and 22, and it's strange, I even had to re-learn how to drive over speed bumps to minimize cabin sway and rocking motion.. . I can understand why some feel the R1S doesn't handle well., and I guess it takes a little getting used to. With 2K+ miles practice, I feel I've got it down. The ride feels very smooth now and I've even started to use the 'stiff' mode. Now, every day I look forward to any opportunity or excuse to go for a drive :)

Sponsored

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S QM 21
I drove the 22 for 3 weeks (loaner) and just got my car w/ 21 back. The 22 does feel stiffer and pot holes/bumps felt and sounded rougher on it. I would not pick the 22 if I had a choice again, and would rather go with 20 were it not for the range loss.

ravian

First Name
Debarshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Sienna
I did a test drive of the R1S last week. The suspension was so jarring that it gave me a headache when I was sitting in the back seat. Also the front/back swaying (like a yo yo) was too obvious.

Finally, the steering was very vague and the vehicle felt very floaty. It’s ironic that a vehicle that feels so floaty can also be so jarring on imperfect roads.

This is unfortunately going to be a deal killer for me, unless Rivian makes some significant improvements to the suspension.
Edit: the tires we the 20” AT.

MadMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Tesla Model 3
@MadMac @Tony R1S

I live in MA (lots of pot holes) and keep debating between 22 and 20 for R1S. Curious given your experience, would you go with 22s again?
I would do the 22s again though I don’t think you can go wrong here. But this is hard to answer as I have to include the caveat that the air suspension definitely settles or breaks in after the first few months. My R1S is a dramatically better ride than it was when I took delivery December 30th. But, it’s hard for you take my word on that …Rivian really should have test vehicles with more miles on them or find a way for the air bags in the suspension to be “settled” prior to sale.

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
I did a test drive of the R1S last week. The suspension was so jarring that it gave me a headache when I was sitting in the back seat. Also the front/back swaying (like a yo yo) was too obvious.

Finally, the steering was very vague and the vehicle felt very floaty. It’s ironic that a vehicle that feels so floaty can also be so jarring on imperfect roads.

This is unfortunately going to be a deal killer for me, unless Rivian makes some significant improvements to the suspension.
Edit: the tires we the 20” AT.
My R1S was delivered with 40 miles on it (so not broken-in really at all) and I have had nothing like you are describing. I have kept it in soft 95% of the time and it is super smooth. In stiff it doesn't fell harsh/jarring, just planted. The only reason I don't use stiff more often is that it is so comfortable to cruise around in soft and I don't do much sporty driving. I do agree that the steering doesn't feel as connected as some of the sporty cars I have owned in the past, but it is pretty effortless. Reminds me of other full-size SUVs I have driven.

It could just be what you are used to driving, but I think it's also possible the one you drove wasn't a great example. That in itself could be a little concerning, but that's the early-adopter risk. Mine was delivered with a few issues I found within the first 24 hours. It was all addressed promptly and I have no complaints at all. I have heard some service center complaints on this forum, but my experience with the Normal service center was great.

Sponsored

buddha2lotus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model s
Occupation
physician
I test drove the T last year and just took delivery of my S this weekend. At first I thought the S wallowed quite a bit but turned out ride was set to soft. After changing setting, I can tell no difference except the S is quieter. I have the 22’s and the ride is better than my Model S. I am a very happy camper.

Big Bad VooDoo

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Medical
I only drove and ordered the R1S and don’t care about how the R1T drives. The R1S rides much nicer than my Ram 1500 with air ride suspension so I’m happy. Don’t know why I even open this thread. LOL

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer
I just drove an R1S with 20" wheels compared to the 22" wheels on the previous demo R1S. The 22" wheels had quite a rough ride in my area of town such that there wasn't any meaningful difference in ride quality to my Model Y. The 20" wheels were BOMB and drove like the R1T with 20" wheels that I had driven previously. The Rivian rep said that that 21" wheels are similar to the 20" wheels with regards to ride/bumps and are quieter. Stoked again for my R1S and glad to have my worries alleviated about the ride of the R1S! Would be happy with an R1S now!

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (pre-ordered, Audi RS5 Sportback
Occupation
IT
We’ve had our R1S with 20” ATs for a month now (1300 miles on the odometer), and just dropped it off for service this morning and received an R1T on the same 20” ATs (2100 miles on the odometer).

I immediately noticed how much more comfortable and less noisy the T is. The best description is that the T make it seem like our S still has shipping blocks on the suspension. Our S front end chatters a ton, and I find it jarring even on the slightest bumps.

I honestly drove away thinking something is definitely wrong with the S.

My Taycan is starkly different on much lower profile tires and suspension (Still air ride). I always try not to compare anything to Porsche as they generally get it perfect (except for the Macan which is a hot pile of garbage comparatively). But still…

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer
We’ve had our R1S with 20” ATs for a month now (1300 miles on the odometer), and just dropped it off for service this morning and received an R1T on the same 20” ATs (2100 miles on the odometer).

I immediately noticed how much more comfortable and less noisy the T is. The best description is that the T make it seem like our S still has shipping blocks on the suspension. Our S front end chatters a ton, and I find it jarring even on the slightest bumps.

I honestly drove away thinking something is definitely wrong with the S.

My Taycan is starkly different on much lower profile tires and suspension (Still air ride). I always try not to compare anything to Porsche as they generally get it perfect (except for the Macan which is a hot pile of garbage comparatively). But still…
đź‘€ Do you think the service center will look at the drive quality at all?
Sponsored