Sponsored

Ride quality R1S vs R1T? Should I be worried about reviews?

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (pre-ordered, Audi RS5 Sportback
Occupation
IT
đź‘€ Do you think the service center will look at the drive quality at all?
I doubt it. To be fair, I mentioned it in passing and it’s in service for something unrelated. But you can bet after this I’ll ask for them to ride with me when I pick it up and I’d also like to test drive another R1S to compare.
Sponsored

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer
I doubt it. To be fair, I mentioned it in passing and it’s in service for something unrelated. But you can bet after this I’ll ask for them to ride with me when I pick it up and I’d also like to test drive another R1S to compare.
Let us know what you think of the ride of your R1S vs. another and what they say!

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (pre-ordered, Audi RS5 Sportback
Occupation
IT
Let us know what you think of the ride of your R1S vs. another and what they say!
Will do. It’s funny, I’m used to being able to simply text my service advisor questions or requests in the P car. With Rivian, it’s a little bit of a chore…. Call 800 number, ask to speak with local service team, make up some reason why I should be transferred to them rather than letting the rep on the phone relay message, then maybe talk with service team if they answer.

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer
Will do. It’s funny, I’m used to being able to simply text my service advisor questions or requests in the P car. With Rivian, it’s a little bit of a chore…. Call 800 number, ask to speak with local service team, make up some reason why I should be transferred to them rather than letting the rep on the phone relay message, then maybe talk with service team if they answer.
Tesla had/has something very similar; painfully tall phone tree that is nationalized. The app integration was a neat way to reach the Tesla SC directly but would have variable reply times.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

Yeah, this sounds similar to the Tesla service experience. I'm also curious to learn about your impressions after your service visit, and subsequent test drives. Please report back!

I've driven the R1T and R1S several times each, sometimes for days at a time, but it's just not the same as owning and driving them daily, getting accustomed to the dynamics of each, and then comparing them back-to-back.

In my experience, I loved driving each vehicle, which made the decision of choosing between models difficult.

Sponsored

Kiafoulis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T
This is always a strange topic. I'll take someone from a Mercedes C-class to a Ford Fusion or a F150 to a Ram 1500 and they will say the F150 or Mercedes rides the same. When in reality by every objective measurement, the ford and Ram ride much better.

It comes down to some people care, and some don't when it's good enough. I've never understood it either, but I am super sensitive to noise harmonics vibration and compared to my standards, neither of them ride "good".

They are good for a Tacoma-segment vehicle, sure, but they are jarring and fatigueing in a way other aren't.
That is a perfect explanation of my position on th R1T. It’s just not a good ride on anything other than absolutely perfect road. Once the road goes from a 10 to a 7 or below the ride and the steering wheel feedback is horrible. They should have never been sent out as acceptable from the Ride and Handling Rivian engineers, it comes across as an unrefined piece of equipment.

Last edited:

Triangle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition, 20" Brights, Ocean Breeze
Occupation
Cinematographer
Clubs

I haven't driven an R1T, but I recently owned a 4runner and still own an F150. The ride of my R1S is far superior to both of those IMO. I end up driving in All-purpose with Stiff suspension/high regen and I am happy with it so far. I don't like the other settings. I would like the soft setting to be a bit better at being "soft." I think that's what people are complaining about mostly, wanting a more luxury-oriented setting.

I prefer to feel some road feedback, maybe others don't. I have driven through a few canyons in my R1S and its very nimble and corners confidently. It feels a bit lurchy over speedbumps, but again my other vehicles are much worse at this. I went into this purchase expecting it to feel like a truck/suv and its much sportier than that. I do hope they improve the suspension software but it doesn't bother me currently.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
That is a perfect explanation of my position on th R1T. It’s just not a good ride on anything other than absolutely perfect road. Once the road goes from a 10 to a 7 or below the ride and the steering wheel feedback is horrible. They should have never been sent out as acceptable from the Ride and Handling Rivian engineers, it comes across as an unrefined piece of equipment.
With the newer cast subframe and rumored new suspension next year, they must be aware of our complaints. But maybe we were just expecting too much in something that weighs as much as it does.

TipSpa

First Name
Tip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Professional reviewers (Car and Driver, Road and Track, YouTubers) are really bashing the R1S ride quality compared to R1T. For the everyday driver is it really that much worse?
I have had my R1S with 22’s for a little over a month. I recently dropped it off at the Houston SC for the A/C issue after this last update, which really hit my efficiency. I received an R1T with 20’s, as a loaner.

They both drive great, but there are some subtle differences. I feel like the suspension on the T absorbs the bumps in the road better than the S, however the tires on the T are a lot more uncomfortable. I would describe the 20’s as textured driving, which are rougher than the 22’s.

Altogether, I prefer the R1S driving experience.

GreenOptimist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Moved from our R1T to an R1S two weeks ago and based on this thread was nervous about driving experience. However, I don’t know if our T had issues or something but I find the R1S much smoother and a far better driving experience FWIW. T was vin 15xxx and S is 11xxx, so maybe recent improvements?

edit: both are on 21s

Last edited:

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We have an R1T; our son has an R1S. Both of these were delivered in in the last several months. I think that the R1S's ride is slightly harsher. I chalk this up to the tires/wheels. The R1T has the 21" road tires and the R1S has the 22' sport tires. Both are great.

Brian

Reactions: MWB

venkat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Long time lurker and first time poster here. I actually just created this account to share my experience. I also posted the same in one of the Reddit subs that had similar concerns and am pasting the same verbatim. What can I say? I am lazy. :)

Got my R1S a few days ago and thought I would make a post to help those who might have the same concerns that I had. I am no expert on cars but am extremely picky about ride quality. I was one of those who wondered how bad my driving experience was going to be based on the reviews as well as my own experience from first mile. My first mile drive was less than satisfying to say the least. It was on 20 inch wheels and I felt that the ride was quite bumpy and also a little unrefined. I almost considered switching to an R1T at that point. Luckily, drove a friend’s R1S with 21s and felt that it was great. Chose to pull the trigger as my configuration was 21 as well.

Now, with enough miles under my belt in my own vehicle, I can confidently say that the ride in an R1S on 21s is amazing. I am benchmarking against my previous vehicles (X5, Cr-V, MDX and a 530i). It is as good as any of them, if not better. It drives like an X5 with a bit more oomph. Absolutely, no road noise or porpoising that I experienced in the 20s. I didn’t want my R1S to feel like a truck and I am glad that it doesn’t.
Hope this helps some of you who value on road experience more than off road make up your mind.

Reactions: MWB

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
We have an F150, R1T, and had a Hummer SUV recently before. The R1T is the smoothest and softest ride out of all of them, enough to make you tired easily I feel.

Guards Red Car

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Porsche Taycan, Tesla Model Y, Mini
Occupation
Physician
With the newer cast subframe and rumored new suspension next year, they must be aware of our complaints. But maybe we were just expecting too much in something that weighs as much as it does.
I HOPE this new subframe and suspension will address my issue - likely all of OUR issue:

R1S Jarring Ride Driving Diagonally at Slow Speed

Wondering if this is unique to my R1S – Driving at slow speed (perhaps 3 – 10 mph) from main road and turning onto a driveway apron – or – driving diagonally (with steering input) across even subtle elevation in otherwise smooth pavement – This causes an unpleasant rocking and jarring experience for all passengers – causing their upper torso to jerk side to side due to the unyielding, non dampening suspension

Does anyone else experience this?

Is there a software fix (or perhaps a hardware fix) for this very disturbing suspension disorder?

Appreciate to hear of your experiences with your R1S ride behavior

DMDK82

First Name
Dmitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 23' BMW iX M60, 22' Tesla Model X Plaid
Occupation
Construction Consultant
2023 R1S here Adventure on 22’s VIN #12366

My 10cents after owning and driving 12 cars in last 10 years with all being SUVs from Mercedes GLE, BMW X5&7 to Model X

My R1S suspension feels on par with my 2022 Model X in Medium Hight mode and Soft, and my previous 2022 Range Rover Sport HET, which I will comment both as not very good but decent set-ups and both Air, smooth on perfect roads, rough on bumpy and feels like it will fall apart when going over speedbumps. One real annoyance to me when music isnt on is how frequent and noticeable the air pump is refilling the tanks, you cant ever hear one on Tesla or BMW. I wint get into rattles and squeaks on this thread

My 2023 BMW iX M60 is far superior in ride quality and fit and finish but its a whole different purpose car so not a fair comparison even though the price point is the same.

In conclusion I would second the fact that it is extremely subjective and depending what you are comparing with and expecting.

R1S is a package of a vehicle like no other, its like Ford Raptor had a Baby with GMC Yukon Denali which was genetically altered by Range Rover and Tesla lol

Rivian R1T R1S Ride quality R1S vs R1T? Should I be worried about reviews? IMG_6112
Sponsored