First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tesla M3P / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Software Dev / Architect / Product Designer
I've already asked Rivian several times for an official API—even if it's limited. I think everyone should ask them for this, maybe they'll be better at some point. It's not like security through obscurity is helping here—it's just making it easier to abuse the service and do unexpected things.
Outstanding, I'll join the small - but hopefully loud - gaggle of nerds asking for this. :D
Sponsored

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
I successfully connected my Rivian telemetry to ABRP for live charge tracking and prediction. I can't take a ton of credit for it really, as I'm just piggybacking on the Home Assistant plugin for the most part, but it works! I had this "working" about a week ago, but of course Rivian shut down the old API on Friday night and I couldn't test it until the HA plugin was updated to match.

Now I just need to go on a couple trips to "train" ABRP to be better calibrated for the Rivian :).

1673583050104.png

1673583241923.png

I'm using Node Red to really quickly and easily build the HTTP GET that the ABRP API wants. It's messy, and I could have probably just wrote code instead, but not having to worry about any infrastructure when you have Node Red already set up just makes these things so much easier to achieve.

1673583345572.png
This looks great.
Any idea if https://smartcar.com/rivian/ would work for those of us that aren’t as computer literate?

r1s-owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S, Honda CRV
Occupation
Software Engineer (Principal Architect)
@mindstormsguy Did you get locked out of your account, too? I updated to the latest HA integration after the servers broke, but then it locked me out of my account, so I turned off the integration for now. I don't know if it's a constant thing, or if it only happens on startup or something.

Mine worked for about 4 hours and then stopped connecting. I haven't reenabled it yet in fear it'll prevent me from accessing the truck.

Otherwise, I might be interested in your NodeRed setup. I don't use NR for almost anything, but I already have it set up for one feature.
That was an issue in the software side of HA in the "beta" releases. As a contributor and maintainer I apologize that this happened.

To be clear the lock out only impacted creating new sessions (logging in again) all active sessions were still accessible (mobile, etc). Rivian does have a convoluted process internally to unlock your account, but given the bug we had which was reauthenticating upon each and every data sync... They flagged the accounts as "abuse" and put them into jail/quarantine status.

r1s-owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S, Honda CRV
Occupation
Software Engineer (Principal Architect)
Now with the release of Rivian HA 0.7.0 these lock out issues won't happen. Though to login with your primary account (discouraged) you will need Rivian to post bail to get out of jail.

It is best practice to separate automation logins from human logins. As such it is HIGHLY recommended (to prevent you the human from being locked / blocked) to create a secondary "driver" account and invite them to your vehicle and use their credentials to log in from HA side (or any other integration). Gmail and many other email providers allow for a "suffix" like pattern `user+suffix@domain` to infinitely create unique email addresses (or Gmail also allows a period "." to be inserted anywhere like `us.er@domain` to do the same). Rivian allows this for now, maybe a future Friday it will break so set it up now 🤪.

OP
OP

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some

Sponsored

rapPayne

First Name
Rap
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Well, there goes some of my free time in the next few nights. I have a couple spare RP3's kicking around with nothing to busy themselves with.
I've always said that Raspberry Pi is a solution in search of a problem.

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
Hmm, never used HA or node red, I do have a Synology Nas running at home, wonder if that would work.

jshaff

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cybersecurity
FYI, someone has posted the YAML for this on Github

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
FYI, someone has posted the YAML for this on Github

Did they... Did they just post their private Auth key to GitHub? Sigh.

But thanks for this, I'm going to look into seeing how this works!

jshaff

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Did they... Did they just post their private Auth key to GitHub? Sigh.

But thanks for this, I'm going to look into seeing how this works!
I am not actually sure what that Auth API key is, it might be rivian generic. The key you need to change is called out in the URL string for pushing to ABRP.

Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I am not actually sure what that Auth API key is, it might be rivian generic. The key you need to change is called out in the URL string for pushing to ABRP.
I was checking the API docs, and it appears that yes, this is a private token provided for each user. It's probably not that big of a deal, but assuming they generate a unique one for each user, you probably shouldn't share it. I just sent in a request for my own API key.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I successfully connected my Rivian telemetry to ABRP for live charge tracking and prediction. I can't take a ton of credit for it really, as I'm just piggybacking on the Home Assistant plugin for the most part, but it works! I had this "working" about a week ago, but of course Rivian shut down the old API on Friday night and I couldn't test it until the HA plugin was updated to match.

Now I just need to go on a couple trips to "train" ABRP to be better calibrated for the Rivian :).

1673583050104.png

1673583241923.png

I'm using Node Red to really quickly and easily build the HTTP GET that the ABRP API wants. It's messy, and I could have probably just wrote code instead, but not having to worry about any infrastructure when you have Node Red already set up just makes these things so much easier to achieve.

1673583345572.png

Ok this was super easy to setup! It looks like the repository was already in HAC's just had to load it and configure it and now I have 88 data points to play with!
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian ABRP integration working (if you're motivated 🙂) 1674523209314

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian ABRP integration working (if you're motivated 🙂) 1674523244140

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian ABRP integration working (if you're motivated 🙂) 1674523276363

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian ABRP integration working (if you're motivated 🙂) 1674523314468

Weird it has Tonneau data but I have not Tonneau lol... This is epic thanks!

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Weird it has Tonneau data but I have not Tonneau lol... This is epic thanks!
Wonder if that means the wiring is still there for it.
Sponsored