Sponsored

Rivian Adventure Network: What's been your experience so far?

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
We have charged at Madras, Sacramento, Ukiah, Fortuna, Kingman, Barstow, Inyokern, Bishop, and Truckee. Bishop was the only charging station that had any issues where 3 chargers were unavailable. There was also an issue with a semi making deliveries and partially blocking access to the chargers (i.e., you couldn't pull into the station head first but had to "parallel" park and take up two spots)
Sponsored

Last edited:

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I drove to Gila Bend to try one out today, my first time and it worked great. It was reported open in the app a couple of days ago, so wanted to confirm. Another R1T pulled up and charged while I was there.

So there are now 3 sites open in AZ and two more being built, Sedona and central Phoenix.

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
FWIW, both El Portal and Yosemite are Rivian Waypoints, not Rivian Adventure Network. Waypoints are just Level 2, and you should get 11.5kW and 20-25 miles added per hour of charge.

Level 1 is a basic home outlet. Level 2 is still AC power and is home chargers, Waypoints, Tesla destination, etc. which give 11-12kW and 20-25 mph of charging. Level 3 is DC power and includes RAN, Tesla superchargers, EA, etc..
Thanks for the clarification 👍🏼

Milermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I've used a couple.
One was at Silver Falls state park and it worked fine, but I was a little disappointed that it was only 11.5kW and charged slower than I would have liked. I guess I get it, that people will park and go about their hiking, picnicking, etc... and be there long enough to get a charge, but I would have liked it faster.
The other was near Madras, OR, along a major highway. 225kW and very good charging experience. The location is very useful, since there is not really any other L3 charges within 50 miles. I was able to plug in, walk the dogs and stop in the convenience shop and had gotten the charge I needed to make the next leg of my trip.
I also used one in Lincoln City, but it was more of a "check to see if it was up" use. Charging was 200kW and worked out ok. Another situation of no other L3 option within a reasonable distance.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Since this thread popped up... Salida CO RAN ststion was (is?) Down this past Sunday. Fully down for a bit, then two were charging at a reduced rate. Kind of a disaster when I pulled up with people trying to queue up for the functional ones. First time I've had an issue there.

Sponsored

Milermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Over Memorial weekend I was concerned that I would have to wait for a charger to open up, so was keeping a close eye on my usage.
I was shocked when I pulled up to the chargers and all six were open. I was the only one charging the whole time I was there.
There were fuel pumps on the other side of the parking lot and THEY had to wait for a spot to fill up.

tylerdurden03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Jeep GC Trailhawk, Tesla Model 3
Clubs

Just used my first two RAN chargers last night on a road trip and they worked beautifully. No line and fast charging.
Sponsored