Sponsored

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
My opinion is that Kia EV6 ADAS beat Driver+ but maybe they tested an older Kia system?
I'm not sure which system my wife's 2021 Kia seltos has, but it is absolutely superior to driver+ in its current form. I can use her HDA 90% of the time on my commute. I can only use driver+ maybe 40% of the time on my commute. I'm shocked driver+ made it so far up this list. I've driven autopilot quite a bit and IMHO it is a far superior product to where driver+ stands today.

obababoy

First Name
Chilbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 LR Discovery, 2011 WRX/STI, 2021 Palisade
Occupation
Cyber
Clubs

We have the hyundai palisade and the ping pong thing they are talking about is 100% bs. I just drove a 2021 explorer and that had the ping pong effect. Idk, this is a hard test to complete but I need more data on the make model and years tested...unless I missed it.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Yeah, this is a garbage take. FSD is a scam, but autopilot is great, and far better than any other driver assistance I've tried. Tesla should easily take #1 spot.

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
Like another CR report regarding Ford’s BlueCruise, the “perceived” safety of the system and the active engagement of the driver are disproportionately weighed. On the Mach E, BlueCruise has this ridiculous “eye nanny” that is CONSTANTLY triggered
Constantly? what you neglected to say is that Bluecruise does give you a few seconds to take your drink or look away before reacting. Yes, it feels like nanny that is a small child craving for attention, but Driver+ is always requiring you to hold hands on the wheel and does not even work on non-highways whereas Ford's system has this half-full Bluecruise where it would auto-steer almost everywhere. Having spent 11 K with Fords vs 3 with Rivian's ADA, the former is better, but i am sure they will upgrade Rivian's OTA.

Sponsored

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Constantly? what you neglected to say is that Bluecruise does give you a few seconds to take your drink or look away before reacting. Yes, it feels like nanny that is a small child craving for attention, but Driver+ is always requiring you to hold hands on the wheel and does not even work on non-highways whereas Ford's system has this half-full Bluecruise where it would auto-steer almost everywhere. Having spent 11 K with Fords vs 3 with Rivian's ADA, the former is better, but i am sure they will upgrade Rivian's OTA.
Yes, constantly. I actually ended up turning BC off completely at one point because I was so fed up with it.

It gives you 1-2 seconds to take a drink before it goes off, sure, but when I’m sitting in traffic drinking my coffee, it sure felt like it would go off nearly every time I took a drink. Maybe my sips are too long, but Ford should know better than to mess with someone’s coffee habits like that!

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
Yes, constantly. I actually ended up turning BC off completely at one point because I was so fed up with it.

It gives you 1-2 seconds to take a drink before it goes off, sure, but when I’m sitting in traffic drinking my coffee, it sure felt like it would go off nearly every time I took a drink. Maybe my sips are too long, but Ford should know better than to mess with someone’s coffee habits like that!
that is pure BS. It gives you around 10-15 seconds at least.

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
that is pure BS. It gives you around 10-15 seconds at least.
Easy there buddy, sounds like the eye nanny interrupted your morning coffee too! You’re right, I guess I just don’t know how time works. Sorry about that.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Like another CR report regarding Ford’s BlueCruise, the “perceived” safety of the system and the active engagement of the driver are disproportionately weighed. On the Mach E, BlueCruise has this ridiculous “eye nanny” that is CONSTANTLY triggered every time you take a drink or drive with your hands actually ON THE WHEEL but in a location that blocks the sensor. Basically, if you drive with one hand on the top of the wheel, the system will brake check you - and those behind you - because the steering wheel apparently doesn’t have a sensor. And even when BlueCruise isn’t active, since it’s only available on select divided highways, it still does that same nonsense. It actually wants you to take your hand OFF the wheel so the horrifically-placed eye sensor can see your eyes. Yeah, you have to take your hands off the steering wheel, even when handsfree isn’t available, to get the eye nanny to not brake-check the cars behind you…and that’s a 9/10 for “driver engagement.” Yeah, sure.
I have a Lariat Lightning and this is not my experience. The eye sensors are very consistent and allow at least 5 seconds away from the road. They work all the time if you choose, not just in Blue Cruise.

Bluecruise works wonderfully. I especially love collaborative driving. Don’t like how far over another vehicle is towards your lane? No problem, you can steer away without disengaging the system. Most systems allow this, so that’s not really Ford-specific.

The system is especially clear when Blue Cruise (hands free system) is engaged. The entire cluster turns blue. It will occasionally drop back to hands-on steering, but it’s never abrupt. No phantom braking, no driving the car towards the exit randomly either (Tesla).

My criticism would be that it could be smoother in stop and go. But I find it to be much, much better than Tesla Autopilot. Overall I think CR is right on the money with this. The software is properly communicative, intuitive, and the eye tracker makes the system a joy to use.

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I have a Lariat Lightning and this is not my experience. The eye sensors are very consistent and allow at least 5 seconds away from the road. They work all the time if you choose, not just in Blue Cruise.

Bluecruise works wonderfully. I especially love collaborative driving. Don’t like how far over another vehicle is towards your lane? No problem, you can steer away without disengaging the system. Most systems allow this, so that’s not really Ford-specific.

The system is especially clear when Blue Cruise (hands free system) is engaged. The entire cluster turns blue. It will occasionally drop back to hands-on steering, but it’s never abrupt. No phantom braking, no driving the car towards the exit randomly either (Tesla).

My criticism would be that it could be smoother in stop and go. But I find it to be much, much better than Tesla Autopilot. Overall I think CR is right on the money with this. The software is properly communicative, intuitive, and the eye tracker makes the system a joy to use.
I’m glad it works well on the F-150 - I hoped the sensor location would yield better results. On your truck, the sensor is to the left of the steering wheel, sort of in the center-left of the dash, right? They put the Mach E sensor where the steering wheel meets the driver’s gauge cluster, so even driving with a hand on top of the wheel blocks the sensor and triggers the eye nanny. It’s a terrible design in the Mach E. Like I said, I agree that it works great when it works as it should, I just didn’t have that happen often.

Sponsored

Stack

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model YP, Rivian R1T (Limestone, 20" AT)
More bias reporting by CR. Having driven the Ford, Honda, Toyota, BMW, Tesla, and now Rivian, the Ford system is not that good and personally I think the Tesla is far better than all of these that I have tried. Definitely not perfect, but a huge improvement over our Rivian Driver+. Number one gripe with my R1T is this system. Only works on limited roads making it virtually useless for me and when I can use it, it wanders in the lane like a slot car. I love the truck, but this needs to be fixed

Willebrew

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER | Rivian R1T Pre-Order
Occupation
Software Developer, Entrepreneur
I'm a little surprised BlueCruise scored so high. Admittedly, I don't have much time with it, but I wasn't a fan of how it communicated that the driver should take over. It was just a sound and much too quiet and also not long enough between the alert and the system just disconnecting. It was also very particular about where in the lane it wanted to be positioned and the vehicle and I disagreed on where that should be. Otherwise, it wasn't bad.
I currently drive an F-150 Lightning with BlueCruise Hands-Free and from my experience, it's definitely not the best system, certainly not as good as Autopilot. It lacks features like automatic lane change, adaptive speed around curves, etc. and it can't take sharp corners at higher speeds without going over a lane line. It's a pretty good system overall but it feels like it's half-baked. Even when it says "Hands-Free" in the gauge cluster, it still needs help and usually exits the lane on sharper corners (in Hands-Free mode) without telling the driver to put their hands on the wheel. I feel like BlueCruise Hands-Free can be dangerous if used by people who don't have any experience with ADAS. When on straighter roads, it works well and is pretty confident, and I find myself using it in the city, which is nice. I have a Rivian R1T hopefully coming in February to replace my Lightning and I hope Rivian will eventually make a version of Driver+ Highway assist (maybe called City Assist) or something for automatic steering with ACC/TACC on all roads, and maybe Highway Assist can be a hands-free mode on highways.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Question for the Tesla fans. Have any of you really spent time with the other systems that scored higher? I went from a Model X with enhanced Autopilot to a Mercedes EQS SUV with their driver assist system. The Mercedes system is much better than autopilot. Extremely smooth, way better lane changing, great instrument display, and no phantom breaking. It even uses the headlights to illuminate the road in front of you with symbols, warnings, and the path the vehicle is taking when changing lanes.

I haven't spent time with the Ford or GM systems, but I've heard a lot of great things. Many of these systems are top notch today. They really have come a long ways in the past couple of years.
Do you know if your EQS will have L3 in Nevada?

Or is that something above and beyond what you have?

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
Do you know if your EQS will have L3 in Nevada?

Or is that something above and beyond what you have?
No. The L3 will be added to the EQS later this year. It adds some additional hardware and new controls on the steering wheel.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Isn’t the point of a good driver assist system to make the driver less engaged?
Sponsored