Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

It used to be good marketing to integrate a 3P audio system: Bose, Harman, Alpine, etc. It’s thought this helps drive interest and validates the platform as being well designed.

Moving this and other things to in-house is a risky cost cutting move. So far that’s gone really well (sarcasm). Look no further than navigation, text integration, audio apps. Let’s not even get started on CP/AA.

The only positive I see here is cost cutting. Zero customer benefit. Same with the 12v outlets. Reducing customer benefit.

The product is slowly eroding
Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
It used to be good marketing to integrate a 3P audio system: Bose, Harman, etc. It’s thought this helps drive interest and validates the platform as being well designed.

Moving this and other things to in-house is a risky cost cutting move. So far that’s gone really well (sarcasm). Look no further than navigation, text integration, audio apps.

The only positive I see here is cost cutting. Zero customer benefit.
Tesla in-house audio is great! Better than Bose or Bang Olufsen I’ve had in other cars

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Tesla in-house audio is great! Better than Bose or Bang Olufsen I’ve had in other cars
I’m not saying it won’t be great. I’m saying it’s yet another in-house unknown from a company that needs to do better at delivering the product they “promised” (conveyed to the press and via their website), when they took preorders.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I think the audio drivers are likely pretty average, but it’s teslas DSP that is superior to other companies and that’s why audio quality is excellent. Hopefully Rivian can match this with software.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Bye-bye Bosch
Bye-Bye Meridian

Serious question:
If Rivian is so eager to make everything themselves... why can't they slap four slabs of aluminum honeycomb plate in a sack and ship it out to customers? Making your own motors and sound system seem much more complicated than throwing a few slats of aluminum extrusion in a canvas sack and shipping it out.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I don’t think so. My recollection is that it has always been Meridian Elevation or Elevation by Meridian https://www.meridian-audio.com/partners/rivian/

It looks like it’s still that, just with 2 speakers removed from the second row which happens to save a bit of money.

Coincidentally, of course.
Meridian is no longer listed as a feature of the Adventure package. It used to be…

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
It used to be good marketing to integrate a 3P audio system: Bose, Harman, Alpine, etc. It’s thought this helps drive interest and validates the platform as being well designed.
Well, traditionally... lower trim levels get the "GM/Ford" audio system and the "Premium Trim" levels get the name brand audio. Rivian want's to be a "Premium" brand... while using in-house brand components. We'll see how that works out for them...

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

The Meridian system is great, but definitely has room for improvement. I'm hoping PAC audio or another aftermarket auto integrator can create a solution to pull a clean signal (hopefully via Toslink) infotainment system, and pipe into aftermarket DSP and amplifiers.

I've been trying to get my hands on data from Munro for the audio system, but apparently they don't reply to emails or voicemails unless you're a company that is willing to overpay for data.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

SoCal Rob

First Name