Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So I happened across this support article that describes a change Rivian implemented in Feb 2023 on new vehicles but I haven't seen any other information posted about this anywhere on the forums.

What can you tell me about Rivian's in-house designed audio system?
Our in-house designed Rivian Elevation audio allows the R1T and R1S to use a common 1200 Watt, 18-channel amplifier. On both models, we've removed the rear passenger door midrange speakers, shifting this work across a tweeter and woofer for seamless frequency transitions.

The new Rivian Elevation audio system is lighter, more efficient and uses less rare-earth metals. Our testing has shown that listeners prefer the Rivian Elevation audio experience, and this update allows us to more easily tune our audio system based on owner feedback moving forward.

Production of vehicles with this audio system begin February 2023.
https://rivian.com/support/article/...about-rivian-s-in-house-designed-audio-system
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Supporting multiple systems is extra effort, so I am concerned that those of us with the older system may be left without improvements/updates. UGH.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Does this mean Meridian is out?

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Vertical integration. They found a cheaper supplier of components, or figured out a new model with Meridian that removes their logo (resulting a cheaper supplier).

They’ve also stated that they want to control the experience top to bottom. To bring it in house doesn’t surprise me, with that goal in mind. It removes a key downstream dependency on a supplier of a highly-visible (and audible!) component of the truck.

SourGrapes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Not sure about the audio, but it sounds like a way to cut costs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Not sure about the audio, but it sounds like a way to cut costs.
Does this mean Sandy Munro was the tester that preferred the cheaper stereo system?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Elevation audio system - in house design change began February 2023? IMG_0026

SourGrapes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Does this mean Sandy Munro was the tester that preferred the cheaper stereo system?
Golden Ear Munro! Honestly it could very we be a good decision, especially if the audio performs at (or better than) the outgoing setup. Those rare earth metals are heavy :idea:

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Yeah, exciting because now it will match their "in-house" designed infotainment and Nav solutions vs acknowledging the superiority of AA/CP..... yikes 😭
Especially exciting considering their "in-house" team came up with the brilliant idea.. er.. "feature" of not including any way to play music from a non-streaming source in a vehicle designed to be used miles off the cellular connectivity grid for days at a time. Yeah... "we know better"!

Pure 100% cost cutting, let's not pretend it's anything but that. IIRC, Meridian has been designing audio systems for a bit longer than Rivian.

Last edited:

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Yeah, exciting because now it will match their "in-house" designed infotainment and Nav solutions vs acknowledging the superiority of AA/CP..... yikes 😭
Damn you!

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Beat you to it did I? 😁
Yes, except I was going to make a sarcastic "countdown until AA/CP comments starts in...." comment. 🤐

I do basically agree they should add AA/CP simply because it will make the most people happy, although it's not a huge deal to me.

I think Tesla has always done car audio in house and it seems like most people like the sound of their systems. I don't have any personal experience with their system though... Just saying it iS possible.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs