Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Meridian or Rivian system?
Well, since you have two Rivians, one must be sacrificed for the good of the forum. It's only logical.
Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

A comparison between the Meridian and Rivian systems sounds like a job for Kyle Conner or Branden Flasch. Kyle has inside access so it would probably be easy for him to get a weekend loaner vehicle for the comparison.
@OutofSpecKyle Are you going to accept the challenge?

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Well, since you have two Rivians, one must be sacrificed for the good of the forum. It's only logical.
I wonder if my wife will notice a speaker is missing... probably not? I already have some plans to take panels off the vehicle so GOAT Fab can take measurements for their sliders...

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
Enhance mode "processes" the Left and Right stereo channels to provide a wider sound field. It's essentially tearing the audio apart and rebuilding it. As such, it's not the original signal and inherently not as good of quality as the original signal. It might sound "fuller" at the expense of tonal quality.
I (and others) have noticed that turning on the enhanced audio actually enables the little overhead speakers. When that is turned off, those speakers don't make any sound at all.

I've also noticed that some types of music do NOT work with enhanced audio. I put Less Than Jake on with it, and all I could hear was guitar, loud-ass guitar, and nothing more. Turned the enhanced audio off, and things sounded as expected

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I wonder if my wife will notice a speaker is missing... probably not? I already have some plans to take panels off the vehicle so GOAT Fab can take measurements for their sliders...
According to Rivian, you can remove two speakers and people will think it sounds better.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
According to Rivian, you can remove two speakers and people will think it sounds better.
Apple also sold tens of millions of those shitty Beats headphones because what sounds “good” to most people is not necessarily what sounds accurate.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Apple also sold tens of millions of those shitty Beats headphones because what sounds “good” to most people is not necessarily what sounds accurate.
A lot of outrage, for the sake of outrage, over the speakers. Which 99% of people probably won’t notice a difference

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti
Clubs

Meridian sound system was one of the main reasons I decided to go with Adventure trim over the Explore trim when I made my original pre-order.

I am a big fan of audiophile gear and was happy a premium sound option was available.

I would happily pay $500 - $1000 extra for a better sound system.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Can we please get MKBHD to do it instead? I'd rather watch a 12 minute video vs a multi-part 3 hour volume.
My vote's for JerryRigEverything

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Having not heard either system, I'm going to chime in here and say that, ultimately, even if the change to in-house, sacrifices some perceived or real quality, as long as it isn't extreme, it is better for the company, and by extension, all of us.

Rivian needs to find a way to be profitable and to control as much of their supply chain as possible to keep costs predictable.

Folks, when we all got the pitch forks out and screamed and yelled when Rivian tried to raise prices, this reality became inevitable. Rivian can't keep losing money at the rate they are losing money and survive long-term. Their long-term survivability is mutually beneficial.

The key, in my mind, is that they maintain the focus on providing high quality materials - whether they are branded or not. If they go Tesla and start using straight up trash that gets Sandy Munro super excited because it only cost them XX cents - that's when I'm out.

Until then, I'm willing to cut them some slack on whether they have an in-house system or a branded system.

elecrticeddy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR Sport HSE, Rivian R1S, R1T, 911T Targa 71
Occupation
Strategic Marketing & Research
Clubs

Hello All,

I am picking up my R1S Blue Launch Edition with 20" & the extra reinforced metal underbody shield. My R1S was build in 2022 and is #003260. So I think there is a change that it will include the Meridian Sounds system, The 12v in the frunk and under the dash. Like my truck was. I will let everyone know if a 2022 end of year R1S already had made these changes. Normally I would be annoyed that I am getting a car Built in Dec 2022 that I am just getting in March 2023 but given the changes to the R1S that seems to be a cost cutting process I think I will be happy to have the originally designed as is Launch edition R1S.

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
Hello All,

I am picking up my R1S Blue Launch Edition with 20" & the extra reinforced metal underbody shield. My R1S was build in 2022 and is #003260. So I think there is a change that it will include the Meridian Sounds system, The 12v in the frunk and under the dash. Like my truck was. I will let everyone know if a 2022 end of year R1S already had made these changes. Normally I would be annoyed that I am getting a car Built in Dec 2022 that I am just getting in March 2023 but given the changes to the R1S that seems to be a cost cutting process I think I will be happy to have the originally designed as is Launch edition R1S.
My VIN #355x (delivered 3/3/23) has the meridian sound system, all 3 12V plugs, plastic trim on the headrests, and 2 cargo hold downs in the back. My guess is that yours will be similar.

FWIW I definitely do -not- have a loud suspension compressor noise in the cabin. I don't know if I have the rumored upgraded pump/reservoir or if it's only. problem with some vehicles and not others.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Elevation audio system - in house design change began February 2023? IMG_8553

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

FWIW I definitely do -not- have a loud suspension compressor noise in the cabin. I don't know if I have the rumored upgraded pump/reservoir or if it's only. problem with some vehicles and not others.
My 23' 34XX VIN R1S compressor and suspension valve noise is definitely louder than the noise in my R1T, but I wouldn't describe it as loud.
Sponsored