First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
But now do you defer delivery until the powered one is available or take the manual and run?
That depends on how much "value" that adds to the truck for you personally and if you can afford to wait it out.

I for one was very happy when they offered the options of "no tonneau" and "manual tonneau".
I updated my config to "manual tonneau" the first day it became an option. I'm 3hrs from the Brooklyn SC and I plan to never go there after purchase unless absolutely necessary. A hung up tonneau would not qualify for Rivian flatbed service under the revised towing policy... so I would lose a day's work dropping off and another day's work picking up the truck just for a jammed tonneau. Um, no thanks please!

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I asked chat about the tonneau and unlike the questions regarding a delivery window they didn’t even say s00n or have any timeline, they where like literally no timeline lol

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I just wish they would SHOW US the manual option at some point soon.
Not much to show. Look at the current one, envision it will 4 slats instead of 9, and whoila, there's your manual version.

Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Not much to show. Look at the current one, envision it will 4 slats instead of 9, and whoila, there's your manual version.
Ha I’m sure but I would like to see the design and how it stores, etc

Ryanide

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Real Estate
No Powered Tonneau cover is a real deal breaker for me. The manual and none option is as well.

My delivery is not scheduled until next summer (2023), so I'm hoping that they come up with a replacement by then. If not, I will be switching to the R1S or something else.

The New Chevy Silverado EV, GMC Sierra Denali EV, CyberTruck or Hummer EV SUV are all considerations. My faith and hopes with Rivian are diminishing....

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
No Powered Tonneau cover is a real deal breaker for me. The manual and none option is as well.

My delivery is not scheduled until next summer (2023), so I'm hoping that they come up with a replacement by then. If not, I will be switching to the R1S or something else.

The New Chevy Silverado EV, GMC Sierra Denali EV, CyberTruck or Hummer EV SUV are all considerations. My faith and hopes with Rivian are diminishing....
There are lots of rumors out there but very little real information anyone has gotten about the powered tonneau. Someone said Rivian had cut ties with the original vendor and is now redesigning it in house (no proof of that). A couple people here in the forum have been told by their local service centers they are getting tonneau replacements soon that are being tested as THE replacement cover....

My guess is they will have something that works by the time your truck is ready.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management

So does this mean that the Silverado, Sierra Denali, Cyber truck and Hummer all have powered tonneau covers? ... asking for a friend.
If you want to experience diminishing hopes then I recommend placing 100% of your hopes into the Cybertruck. If you think you will have a better ownership experience with the Hummer EV knock yourself out.
Are there any trucks with factory powered tonneau covers currently available?

Toha

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forester
Occupation
Industrial mechanic
After visiting an open house from rivian and spending fair amount of time with rivian people all i can say that manual tonneau cover is simple four wider aluminum extruded planks which you manually slide in to existing rails one at a time from the gate side and close the gate , same way you can remove them one at a time and put in your gear tunnel 🤷

Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
After visiting an open house from rivian and spending fair amount of time with rivian people all i can say that manual tonneau cover is simple four wider aluminum extruded planks which you manually slide in to existing rails one at a time from the gate side and close the gate , same way you can remove them one at a time and put in your gear tunnel 🤷
Sounds good to me and wasn't expecting much else!

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neon
Occupation
Employed
This sort of P.I.T.A. is why manual isn't an option...

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
Just to throw this out there too. It seems like the longer you wait for delivery, the less of the original vehicle you get. Just because Rivian comes up with a fix, you might not like what they come up with. It may use up more of the Bed for example. Could cause issues with water intrusion if it's not sealed right.

I started to get worried the moment they took the 12v connector out of the Frunk. I didn't plan to use it but it may have come in handy at some point.

The past "fixes" have not been insignificant.
* No Frunk 12v
* pretty significant revamp of the Ocean Coast interior
* Issue selling with a roof top tent needing additional lighting
* Redesign needed for the gear tunnel shuttle
* Redesign needed for the camp kitchen
* Redesign needed for the tonneau cover
* Redesign to force the third rows seats
* Max pack no longer available on R1S

These may or may not be important to you, but fact of the matter is. They've changed things that you may have liked.

I guess my point it, you may wait for the auto tonneau if you need it, but other things may go away as they become problems for the company

SCV-Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Chevy Colorado, Honda Accord
Occupation
Sales

bf1aa65c-23f9-40bf-86d3-fcef2c705fd6.png
Hi Sam,​
We wanted to follow up with an update on the tonneau cover for your R1T. As we’ve previously communicated, the power tonneau cover is in the process of being redesigned and has been removed from production. As a preorder holder, your R1T has now been reconfigured to include the manual tonneau cover.

You may also choose no tonneau cover. It’s important to note, if you elect to have no tonneau cover, you must remove the manual tonneau cover from your current order in the configurator.

Whether you choose the manual tonneau cover or no tonneau cover, there will be no impact on your delivery date. However, making other changes to your vehicle’s configuration could affect the timing of your vehicle’s delivery. If you have any questions on this update, our team is here to help. Please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Tony Caravano
Head of Rivian Customer Engagement​

I got my email to start the 8 steps because they had assigned me a VIN only to find out Rivian completely removed my tonneau cover without telling me and did not add the manual cover. When I ask my Guide to add the manual cover, my delivery and 8 steps all vanished from my profile. So it DOES have an impact on your delivery date, a BIG impact.

SCV-Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Chevy Colorado, Honda Accord
Occupation
Sales
From the sounds of it there is no way to retrofit the powered tonneau for those who take delivery of a manual or no tonneau truck. Rivian has not said this explicitly (?), but others have received that explanation from CS. So if you really want the power cover I would suggest delaying your delivery until they have a new design ready.

It was also explained that eventually no tonneau trucks will have a different bed design that will not even allow for the manual tonneau to be used.
You say "eventually no tonneau trucks will have a different bed design...". According to my guide this is already the case. I had started my 8 steps, had a VIN, and then was told my truck had no tonneau configured (manual or otherwise). When I told the guide I would take the manual tonneau, she said my truck bed would not support it. As a result, I lost my spot in line when she added the manual tonneau. Not more VIN or delivery. And my 8 steps disappeared from my profile.
Sponsored