Sponsored

Rivian home charger fault 3 days in a row (and a PI request from Rivian)

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
Had the R1S since January, >4000 flawless miles, 99% home charging without ever even a hiccup.

Friday night: charger only delivered 3% overnight, came out to find a red ring around the charge port.
Saturday day: app said charger not communicating via bluetooth, so I tried to re- pair it 3x (turn breaker off, re communicate etc). That didnt work, called Rivian and while waiting for a call back I just uninstalled and set it up as new and it seemed to be fine
Saturday night: plug vehicle in, seems to work, stops at 50% for no reason, no faults listed however
Sunday night: plug vehicle in, get 3 hours of charging (of course prior to bed all is fine) and wake up to the app saying 'vehicle error' and it stops at 57%

So 3 nights, 3 different issues. Ideas? Its a direct wired charger 14-50 on a 50A circuit, installed by professionals.

For rivian - if the charging is interrupted for any reason besides manual removal of the charge cable, a push notification needs sent through the app.
Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Mine starting randomly failing during charging sessions around 10k. Ended up being a poor connection developing between charger and truck connection. Starting arcing and melting connector head wiring.

They sent me a new charger and paid an electrician to swap out.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I would try the included 120V EVSE just to rule out or maybe point the finger at the truck vs. the EVSE.

gj_washington

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
audi a4, toyota rav4
Occupation
engineer
I am seeing similar behavior in my home charging. Similar to @protamine , it worked flawlessly for months. Rivian says it is likely an issue with the Rivian Wall charger. At this point it is an open service request.

R1TLG20BM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE vehicles
@R1Tom got me in the right direction a few weeks back. Connection between the charging handle and truck port deteriorated over time. My issue resided entirely with the handle. If the connection fails, try pulling up on the handle slightly. The weight of the cable was just enough to disengage the connection on mine over time. Fix was to swap out the charger as well. Might be the same with yours?

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
@R1Tom got me in the right direction a few weeks back. Connection between the charging handle and truck port deteriorated over time. My issue resided entirely with the handle. If the connection fails, try pulling up on the handle slightly. The weight of the cable was just enough to disengage the connection on mine over time. Fix was to swap out the charger as well. Might be the same with yours?
I had the new wall charger installed a while back now and have not had a failure since. Was definitely a deteriorated connection and all problem resided in the wall charger connector.

I am a bit concerned something wasn't executed correctly in these in such that they start loosening up to point of poor connection. Hopefully they improved them or a few of us just have a bad one here and there...

I

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I'm also experiencing the red charging error with my Rivian Wall charger, hard wired to a 60 amp breaker. The issue only started happening the last couple weeks. Reset of the breaker has always fixed it enough to get back to a full charge so not a showstopper. But I've had it working fine for over a year. I have an open service ticket with Rivian, the "charging team" is looking into it. I can't say that I'm having the same connection issue that others have stated. Everything looks fine to my untrained eye. I've occasionally used the same charger on the wife's LEAF and it hasn't thrown the same error. So we'll see what comes of it.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I'm also experiencing the red charging error with my Rivian Wall charger, hard wired to a 60 amp breaker. The issue only started happening the last couple weeks. Reset of the breaker has always fixed it enough to get back to a full charge so not a showstopper. But I've had it working fine for over a year. I have an open service ticket with Rivian, the "charging team" is looking into it. I can't say that I'm having the same connection issue that others have stated. Everything looks fine to my untrained eye. I've occasionally used the same charger on the wife's LEAF and it hasn't thrown the same error. So we'll see what comes of it.
One test I did was went to a few public L2 chargers and it always worked fine on them. Then come home to my Rivian wall charger...and sometimes seem ok...othertimes...red ring of death...

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Sounds exactly like the issue I had. Charger has been working fine for a year but once or twice lately I've come out to find the red light on the port. Resetting the breaker fixed that but the charging team wasn't really able to help determine why the problem was occurring. They seemed to be hinting that the installation wasn't done correctly, but couldn't explain why if that were the case it had been working without any issues for so long. I had them close the ticket for now to see if it happens again.

gto65conv

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Same as above. Charging at home since November immediate connection and green light when plugging in. Today, white light for a little while, then red. Says "Vehicle Error" on phone app.

Sponsored

gto65conv

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Just did a Rivian chat. Flipped off the breaker for a few minutes, then back on, did a reset on the vehicle and all is well. Charger had been offline, and although it isn't necessary to be online to charge, apparently it helps.

PlopPlop

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T
Occupation
Owner, SB
🙋‍♂️
Count me in, same issues. Rivian SC could not duplicate when I brough it in so I have a mobile technician scheduled.

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

A quick update for others with this same problem. I've been having the issue where a "vehicle error" is triggered while level 2 charging at my home. The truck will charge for a while, then throw a "vehicle error" and stop charging. All I have to do is either walk by the truck or even just open the app and wake the truck and it will start charging again. I have only seen this issue with level 2 home charging - not with level 1 (plugging the Rivian charger into a regular 120 outlet in my garage), nor with DC fast charging. I've been in touch with CS several times over the last two weeks sharing details, screenshots, sending diagnostics, etc. I spoke with Rivian Customer Service yesterday, 5/21/23. This is a known issue that will be fixed in an upcoming software update. The issue has something to do with the truck throwing a vehicle error when the truck enters a sleep state (or something like that). The helpful customer service rep told me that if I turn off proximity sensing for my phone and key fob that this might help, or, alternatively, I could leave a key fob in the vehicle, or potentially buckle one of the seat belts which will make the vehicle think someone is inside. For me, I'll probably just leave a key fob in the truck while charging in my closed garage and see if that fixes the problem. Just sharing these details in case anyone else is having this issue -

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian home charger fault 3 days in a row (and a PI request from Rivian) IMG_2931
Sponsored