Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Does the JP30 fit into the Gear Tunnel?
Went out and tried it this morning.. no it does not fit in the Gear Tunnel, it's maybe just 1" too high or 1" too wide (which would allow you to tilt it enough to fit in which it doesn't).

It does fit in the back seat area if you flip the seat up.
Sponsored

joshtish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Information Technology.
Went out and tried it this morning.. no it does not fit in the Gear Tunnel, it's maybe just 1" too high or 1" too wide (which would allow you to tilt it enough to fit in which it doesn't).

It does fit in the back seat area if you flip the seat up.
Thank you for checking! I’m bummed that about an inch on one dimension is keeping me from a 50% increase in volume from the ICECO 20. Now to think some thoughts about how I’d like to stage things in my car for my camping trip.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Thank you for checking! I’m bummed that about an inch on one dimension is keeping me from a 50% increase in volume from the ICECO 20. Now to think some thoughts about how I’d like to stage things in my car for my camping trip.
two ideas:
(1) remove the plastic cover from the tunnel latch (Rivian removed that plastic in their R1T service vehicles apparently to increase access dimensions)
(2) the iceco 20 is relatively inexpensive, a great volume-to-size efficiency, great energy efficiency maintaining freezer or fridge temps and can fit two units in the frunk or two in the tunnel.

The third approach would be to take to the JP30 and hack at it with cutting tools to relieve it of clearance to slide into the tunnel. Once it fits, fill in the cuts with plastic and hot glue. Maybe ugly, but the chilled food will taste the better for it. Send the modified dimensions to iceco and they should thank you for giving them an improved product and I'll promise to buy the first unit they offer as "Rivian Gear Tunnel" model 1.0 …. : )

joshtish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Information Technology.
two ideas:
(1) remove the plastic cover from the tunnel latch (Rivian removed that plastic in their R1T service vehicles apparently to increase access dimensions)
(2) the iceco 20 is relatively inexpensive, a great volume-to-size efficiency, great energy efficiency maintaining freezer or fridge temps and can fit two units in the frunk or two in the tunnel.

The third approach would be to take to the JP30 and hack at it with cutting tools to relieve it of clearance to slide into the tunnel. Once it fits, fill in the cuts with plastic and hot glue. Maybe ugly, but the chilled food will taste the better for it. Send the modified dimensions to iceco and they should thank you for giving them an improved product and I'll promise to buy the first unit they offer as "Rivian Gear Tunnel" model 1.0 …. : )
I think I’ll probably end up with option 3: Get the 20 to have as the daily driver cooler and icemaker for the camping trip, and bring a cooler that I can keep continually filled with ice.

Maybe. TBD.

Golden Ears

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 model x
Occupation
snowboarder
My issue isn’t if I can fit a cooler in a car or truck… it is CAN I fit a cooler in a car or truck in Camp mode with the bed deployed for two people. In the original Tesla Model X I could fit the Dometic Cfx3-35 in the sub trunk with (52) 1.5 liter bottles of Fiji water around it . The bed went atop that.

The new 2022 Model X lost about 50% of the sub trunk space so the freezer won’t fit. Even the slim storage area ahead of the sub trunk now is too small for my (2) MC4000M McIntosh 6 channel 1000 watt amps.

I test drove the R1S and loved the layout but where the heck can I put a fridge without deleting a second row seat and even if I did wouldn’t that fridge be too high?
Tesla just cant seem to design a MX without issues. Plus they took away free charging . I love the towing capability and real SUV/off-road suspension of the R1S though the ride was a bit jerky compared to the R1T . I dislike slower charging , no mega pack in the SUV , no gear tunnel, and question if I could be connected to a 7kw charger at night with the heat on in winter at 10 degrees and awake to a full charge like in Model X. Plus slow charging on a long trip might not be doable in terms of kw/Mile efficiency.

for instance ..I have a route from SoCal to Colorado where I leave in the evening, drive and camp charge, then drive to Brian head , slow charge while snowboarding , then drive to Richfield shop and camp slow charge at night, then drive to grand junction shop slow charge , and finally to rifle and to my destination All on free 7kw chargers. I’m not sure I could do this with the R1S but would like to know if anyone has done this. If so I’m going R1S for sure. Tesla service and QC has been an excruciating test of patience and disregard of the customers time. .

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
My issue isn’t if I can fit a cooler in a car or truck… it is CAN I fit a cooler in a car or truck in Camp mode with the bed deployed for two people. In the original Tesla Model X I could fit the Dometic Cfx3-35 in the sub trunk with (52) 1.5 liter bottles of Fiji water around it . The bed went atop that.

The new 2022 Model X lost about 50% of the sub trunk space so the freezer won’t fit. Even the slim storage area ahead of the sub trunk now is too small for my (2) MC4000M McIntosh 6 channel 1000 watt amps.

I test drove the R1S and loved the layout but where the heck can I put a fridge without deleting a second row seat and even if I did wouldn’t that fridge be too high?
Tesla just cant seem to design a MX without issues. Plus they took away free charging . I love the towing capability and real SUV/off-road suspension of the R1S though the ride was a bit jerky compared to the R1T . I dislike slower charging , no mega pack in the SUV , no gear tunnel, and question if I could be connected to a 7kw charger at night with the heat on in winter at 10 degrees and awake to a full charge like in Model X. Plus slow charging on a long trip might not be doable in terms of kw/Mile efficiency.

for instance ..I have a route from SoCal to Colorado where I leave in the evening, drive and camp charge, then drive to Brian head , slow charge while snowboarding , then drive to Richfield shop and camp slow charge at night, then drive to grand junction shop slow charge , and finally to rifle and to my destination All on free 7kw chargers. I’m not sure I could do this with the R1S but would like to know if anyone has done this. If so I’m going R1S for sure. Tesla service and QC has been an excruciating test of patience and disregard of the customers time. .
Do you need the third row?

Golden Ears

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 model x
Occupation
snowboarder
I guess I could remove the third row since I rarely use the second row in Model x . But if there is not enough height to fit the lowest of the CFX3 Dometic coolers. Could someone tell me the height from floor to the top of the third row folded seat ? I would need 16’ or more.

Golden Ears

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 model x
Occupation
snowboarder
I guess I could remove the third row since I rarely use the second row in Model x . But if there is not enough height to fit the lowest of the CFX3 Dometic coolers. Could someone tell me the height from floor to the top of the third row folded seat ?

ease Of access to the fridge in the third row position woukd be really bad for your back and you could not slide it out with the trunk well blocking it.

the trunk well is way too shallow .

Frunks in extremely hot or extremely cold weather or no good for refrigerators. For instance, in my Tesla model X in the sun temperatures easily can reach 126° In the Frunk when it’s only 85° out and sunny. If you were to go to the inland Empire in California or to Phoenix Arizona, he probably could hit temperatures of 140+.

Corresponding way if you go to Colorado in the winter time, you wouldn’t be able to maintain refrigerator temperatures as opposed to freezing temperatures, because the inside of the front would be way too cold.

For that reason the refrigerator really Hass to go in the interior of the vehicle.

In the Tesla model X older model in the five seater it was a very deep trunk well that was quite wide and the new model, the refrigerator sticks up about an inch and tends to tilt towards the front of the car, which isn’t really desirable either that necessitates putting something on the bottom to level it .

what’s really great about the CFX3 series of refrigerators is there extremely energy efficient and very quiet plus they’ve got interior lighting and you can monitor the temperature from the front of the car with the Bluetooth through the app and change the temperature if you need to. I find I can even take a look at what the temperature of my refrigerator is from the second story of my condo, that’s pretty good range and peace of mind knowing that you can monitor that your refrigerator has power without having to go outside to the car.

I’m reluctant to do a complete teardown of one of these refrigerators and create a custom fiberglass tub because probably there is some formula they figured out for the compressors to work at a leisurely pace for the amount of insulation and air space.

Plus whenever you modified some thing and it breaks, it’s a real hassle to fix and frankly these two medic refrigerators, although fairly reliable, I have still failed on me, but they proven to be much more reliable than other products ,

So far one of the interesting vehicles is the new Dodge ram EV because it has a pass-through from the frunk to the vehicle . In the past through opening is wide enough to allow good air circulation.
My fear is ram would figure out that in hot climates. It would be like having a heater, radiating hot air into the passengers compartment for the front seat passengers, and they might delete it from the actual production car, most of the show cars have so much deleted anyway..

My fear is ram would figure out that in hot climates. It would be like having a heater, radiating hot air into the passengers compartment for the front seat passengers, and they might delete it from the actual production car, most of the show cars have so much deleted anyway.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I guess I could remove the third row since I rarely use the second row in Model x . But if there is not enough height to fit the lowest of the CFX3 Dometic coolers. Could someone tell me the height from floor to the top of the third row folded seat ?
Even with the swab removed, there's the subwoofer enclosure. It's a bad design. Someone probably wanted common parts bin sharing with the SUV and ignored 100 years of what pickup owners use: flat load space.
the trunk well is way too shallow .
frunk well?
The frunk is deep enough for the ICECO 20 (two of 'em) but yes, the "frunk shrunk" in the last days (literally) before mass production. It looks like Rivian screwed up their real world testing and needed a lot more cooling, or had to go with a different OEM (for radiator, fans, pumps?) and ended up with a lot of the former frunk volume consumed by a terribly clumsy installation of a radiator … for those not agreeing with "clumsy" because "how date any mere commoner question the genius of <brand>" … take a look at it … there's no shroud, no air flow management, no control over water ingress around the wheel arches … it's unfinished and real mess … I'm sorry for those enthusiasts who go splashing in deep water or bashing around the dunes … the electronics of your battery management are now covered in salt, grit, road debris and grime.
The bed is too shallow – that's one of the worst design fails of the R1T. I see no reason why the bed is so high above the spare (several wasted inches) or why the body could not come up a couple of inches … the bed width and depth are "okay" for this size of vehicle, but the depth of the bed is the problem … stuff that slides into my F-150 with height left to stack flat things on top, doesn't even come close to fitting under the power tonneau. Again: Rivian didn't spend anywhere near the quality time with the F-150 that they spent with the Range Rover … and the R1T suffers these shortcomings because people didn't make early decisions to make it a pickup, instead focusing on making it a Range Rover EV SUV that launched with the less popular pickup body. Nicely done from a marketing perspective, but long term, they've missed several important marks.
Frunks in extremely hot or extremely cold weather or no good for refrigerators. For instance, in my Tesla model X in the sun temperatures easily can reach 126° In the Frunk when it’s only 85° out and sunny. If you were to go to the inland Empire in California or to Phoenix Arizona, he probably could hit temperatures of 140+.
My R1T is white, the frunk doesn't seem to experience temp extremes, though I imagine it gets chilly in blizzards, but no more so than parking overnight in winter, which I've been doing for 100 days or so, some in the '22 winter, many more now in the '23 winter. Our Model X is black and I've not noticed the frunk boiling. It's the usual place to drop groceries … better than the cabin.
Corresponding way if you go to Colorado in the winter time, you wouldn’t be able to maintain refrigerator temperatures as opposed to freezing temperatures, because the inside of the front would be way too cold.
The ICECO is insulated. I leave it in the frunk of the R1T 24x7. I'd say the coldest it has experienced is 0-10ÂşF. I've had a metal water bottle burst in the cabin. I've had water bottles freeze in the cabin. I've not had stuff freeze in the fridge part of the freezer. I keep the fridge about 38 and the freezer about 2Âş. I usually have the divider out and use the whole thing as a fridge.
For that reason the refrigerator really Hass to go in the interior of the vehicle.
I guess if you really cold-soaked the whole car for a several days well below freezing.
My R1T just sat in the California blizzard (100 inches in a week or so) and didn't need to charge, and didn't freeze in the ICECO. But temps were too bad. I'm at 6000 feet, maybe 10-15Âş overnight, 20-30Âş during the day.

Charging was my only concern, but it was fine. The truck kept the batteries warm (as evidenced by the melted snow all around the underbelly and the radiator. It's another design fail that so much heat escapes instead of being contained in the pack and the thermal regulators / valves / circulators.
what’s really great about the CFX3 series of refrigerators is there extremely energy efficient and very quiet plus they’ve got interior lighting and you can monitor the temperature from the front of the car with the Bluetooth through the app and change the temperature if you need to. I find I can even take a look at what the temperature of my refrigerator is from the second story of my condo, that’s pretty good range and peace of mind knowing that you can monitor that your refrigerator has power without having to go outside to the car.
I wouldn't be surprised to find ICECO uses the same sort of compressor (Danfoss / SECOP) it's remarkably efficient and the insulation seems to do it job. It has a bluetooth app which is also quite long range (enough to check from within the house.)
I’m reluctant to do a complete teardown of one of these refrigerators and create a custom fiberglass tub because probably there is some formula they figured out for the compressors to work at a leisurely pace for the amount of insulation and air space.
I think you could take the ICECO 42 and carve off all the excess. It has large, fat handles and seems to be in a cheap blow molded enclosure that's probably good for ruggedness, but it's a bulky shape that could be shrunk by inches to fit. But me too, just not quite motivated to got at it with a saw blade and see what happens. : )
So far one of the interesting vehicles is the new Dodge ram EV because it has a pass-through from the frunk to the vehicle . In the past through opening is wide enough to allow good air circulation.
Sadly the pass-throughs are gone in the production body. But the RAM REX REV (range extender) is the game changer. Electric drivetrain simplicity, compact engine at steady rpm for efficient charging. If they make the REX removable, it's going to be great. If they make it a sled that encloses a turbine instead of a piston engine, that would be the revolution they're promising. I assume it will be a huge, ridiculous four pot turbo screamer under the hood, taking up the whole frunk and really being just a mess. I can only hope they've found a way to stuff something like a 200hp motorcycle engine under/behind the frunk, which would be a very good compromise.
most of the show cars have so much deleted anyway..
yep. deleted.

Sponsored

Golden Ears

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 model x
Occupation
snowboarder
Well I didn’t say “Frunk Well” .
I have camped in winter in Colorado for over 5 years with Model X hitting nearly every Ikon and EPiC resort. I just know this stuff from actual experience in subzero temperatures, and I’d like to share those experiences with other people to help.

If you want your refrigerator compressor to burn out, like one of mine, dead, just put it in the front of your car on a hot sunny day and make the mistake just once – and your ice chest, or either burn out or just flat out break and have to be sent back to Dometic. I’m on my third CFX3-35. My CFX3-55IM has never done car duty and is working fine . In the end the best placement was the lower TRUNK well. Because in hot weather this stayed cooler , you don’t hear it at all, easy to Load and unload food, easier to remove withoutat killing your back, and in winter that compartment is cool but not below freezing so the fridge draws only a tiny amount of power.like about 15-30 watts!

I think if you want people to covert to EV cars and trucks , it really helps to have advantages in these vehicles like built in spaces for refrigeration compressors and so on . These should be standard - and I would even add automatic jacks - premium
Lighting systems and other cool
Electrical stuff ICE cars typically can’t have because they would need uograded alternators or bigger batteries .

basserman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Rivian Enthusiast
Clubs

Check out the custom C [=0===0=] L 40 quart 12VDC frunk cooler/freezer being developed by the @BoxGods team! We need like 50 more folks onboard to get this project into production. It pairs well with the frunk water tank too!

Here's the Rivian forums link: https://www.rivianforums.com/powere...12-gal-water-tank-w-washdown-sprayer-concept/

And a direct link to the project: https://rivian-aftermarket.proboards.com/thread/10/12vdc-frunk-cooler-freezer-project
This looks awesome, I signed up!
Sponsored