Sponsored

Rivian Portable Charger cannot be powered by the Rivian

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

I'd like to have the possibility to charge other electric vehicles (mainly my motorcycle) from the 120v outlet on my R1T. Unfortunately the Rivian Portable Charger does not like the floating ground provided by the on board inverter for 120v. When I plug it in, the light flashes from white to green to red. The Portable Charger will not power anything and its light stays red.

My Tesla Mobile Connector on the other hand does not care about the ground and will happily charge things when powered by the R1T's inverter.

Inside EVs claims it can be done by using a neutral-ground bonding plug. When I plug in a bonding plug, the 120v outlets shut off without any errors on the screen or any indication why. I'm sure there is no problem with the bonding plug and that it is not shorting the hot line. I've tested it on other circuits without issue.

Has anybody else been able to use the Rivian Portable Charger when plugging it into the onboard 120v outlets?
Sponsored

OP
OP
staples

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

Anybody willing to test and confirm if they get the same results?

OP
OP
staples

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

At least it's confirmed by another. This seems like a huge miss for Rivian.

04706D2A-AA9E-436D-8960-949B8DD39E0B.jpeg

Not charging itself, but it does charge my Arcimoto. (Ironically, the Rivian mobile charge cord doesn’t work on the bed outlet since it has no ground, but the Ford mobile charge cord from my Mach-E works fine.)

(Excuse the cans In the bed waiting to go to the recycle center.)

I could probably charge one of the electric bicycles sitting behind the Arcimoto, too. They don’t take much juice.
Sponsored