First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mercedes GLK 250, 2009 Mercedes E63
Occupation
Engineer
They don't look the same to me. On the lights installed to satisfy the recall (shown in @jpmc86 post above), the red portion protrudes from the bumper facia. There's still a clear "nipple" for the backup light, but it is not as long (deep?) as the nipple on the quick-fix lights.
Yeah, youā€™re right. The red part does stick out. I believe on the adapted ones they simply reused the original design (the red part being flush) and extended the reverse lights.
Sponsored

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

I see I missed the chance to be the first to flash my nipples here. Oh well. I will say that they didn't look bad once I was holding the lights in my hand...
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S getting recall to update backup light lamp lenses. Notices coming to owners May 20 for replacement service starting July IMG_3871

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S getting recall to update backup light lamp lenses. Notices coming to owners May 20 for replacement service starting July IMG_3870

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S getting recall to update backup light lamp lenses. Notices coming to owners May 20 for replacement service starting July IMG_3869

They only extend about half an inch from the surrounding red lens and work in pretty well. The first picture shared made me think it was much longer; I think that's because it's hard to get a full side picture of them that doesn't make the width of the thing appear to add to the length (do your worst, @Count Orlok ).

I went ahead with it and it looks fine/good to me and I am glad I did and have it marked as having the recall addressed. YMMV and everyone's tastes are their own, but at least Rivian is letting us decide whether we want to do it as opposed to forcing us to do it. Yay, choice!

Vehicle is in All-Purpose, High in pictures below:
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S getting recall to update backup light lamp lenses. Notices coming to owners May 20 for replacement service starting July IMG_3872

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S getting recall to update backup light lamp lenses. Notices coming to owners May 20 for replacement service starting July IMG_3873

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S getting recall to update backup light lamp lenses. Notices coming to owners May 20 for replacement service starting July IMG_3874

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S getting recall to update backup light lamp lenses. Notices coming to owners May 20 for replacement service starting July IMG_3875

Edit: oh, I see where y'all are saying the red lens is out further than it was before. Ha, I didn't even notice! I think they must have done that to help minimize the amount they had to nipple-ize on the clear lens.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
What is interesting is they did this as a mobile service, the tech had an R1T and I could not tell the difference between the lenses on his truck and the originals on my R1S. I wonder why the recall is only for the S?

Iā€™m ok with how the new ones look.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

What is interesting is they did this as a mobile service, the tech had an R1T and I could not tell the difference between the lenses on his truck and the originals on my R1S. I wonder why the recall is only for the S?

Iā€™m ok with how the new ones look.
S has a shroud in the bumper that obscures the light from the side that the T doesn't have.
S
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S getting recall to update backup light lamp lenses. Notices coming to owners May 20 for replacement service starting July PXL_20230719_222305987

T
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S getting recall to update backup light lamp lenses. Notices coming to owners May 20 for replacement service starting July PXL_20230719_222315146

cruiser

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I took delivery in late June and mine has the temporary glue on protrusions. I noticed at a RAN that others didn't have them and so I was looking at mine, it was about 100 degrees out and I noticed they were kind of floppy, the glue was melting. I didn't mess with it, but a slight push would have certainly knocked it off.
So I hope the temporary fix is subject to the recall because that thing is definitely going to fall off before too long.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Had my service visit a few days ago. Biggest revelation was that in my 6 or so months of ownership I've never had my vehicle raised to the highest setting. Anyhow, tech was done in about 20 minutes and I'm now fully compliant.

gsqrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 infiniti G37 convertible, 2010 expedition
Occupation
retired computer designer
Clubs

Ditto for me but took 45 min(I have RUS)
Sponsored