Sponsored

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Don't care about MKBHD auto reviews as a car nut. It's also hard to take him seriously as a reviewer when he owns a Rivian, has special access to the CEO, and knows next to nothing about cars from watching his other reviews. Great product, but that's already known from countless other better reviewers.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Curious. How does he have special access? I thought the 45 minute interview in the Rivian was odd.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Don't care about MKBHD auto reviews as a car nut. It's also hard to take him seriously as a reviewer when he owns a Rivian, has special access to the CEO, and knows next to nothing about cars from watching his other reviews. Great product, but that's already known from countless other better reviewers.
I mean, he bought the truck because he really liked it. He was able to interview RJ because of his platform and he was reviewing the SUV.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Curious. How does he have special access? I thought the 45 minute interview in the Rivian was odd.
He gets access because he has a larger subscriber base. He bought his vehicle fair and square last year unlike some other YTers with much smaller viewership numbers.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
He gets access because he has a larger subscriber base. He bought his vehicle fair and square last year unlike some other YTers with much smaller viewership numbers.
There is a LOT to objectively criticize or "not like" about "some other YTers". But IMO Rivian is who should be criticized for the both the "friends and family" program and any special price given. Purchased via what was a valid Rivian program at the time - fair and square.

But that "other YTer", arguably has provided much more actual informative content consistently over a number of months. Especially before his purchase during the one week review. When virtually nobody had a truck and nobody was giving us that kind of hands on info, including Rivian.

FWIW (nothing); I'm thinking I'd much rather have dinner or an ongoing friendship with Marques. But his knowledge of cars/EVs is limited at best. He has provided next to no new info since his initial review (no new info there either) and failed to ask RJ basic questions that a tiny bit of prep via a forum or ongoing engagement with the community would have provided.

That said Marques is a very successful, busy, interesting fellow with a lot of knowledge about a lot of things. Just not cars.

Just my opinion......

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I like the Marques guy better than Doug DeMuro. I think he's more interesting and it doesn't bother me that he doesn't know a ton about cars. His reviews seem more relevant to the average Joe like myself.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Marques seems to be coming from a design / industrial design angle and provides that perspective. I think he even said that he is not a car/truck expert in one of his videos.

Sponsored

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

I have opinions!

IMHO...

MKHB is a YT generalist and he is trying to diversify into various other markets. His "Auto Focus" channel/brand is indicative of this. He will review everything from an iPhone to a drone to an electric skateboard. It doesn't mean he's wrong, just.. grain of salt.

Doug is annoying AF. I want to meet him IRL to see if that is really how he talks. Maybe it's a shtick and it works, in which case, good for him. That being said, he's pretty thorough and I haven't detected BS or bias (beyond the demeanor and the need to generate clicks).

@OutofSpecKyle is dead to me. I have a well-nurtured hatred for him, his channel and everything he's ever touched. I feed it like a prize plant growing a record-breaking pumpkin. I'm petty, I know, but, as I see it, he took someone else's R1T. He is the clearest example of "cutting the line" I've ever heard of. He even got called out by other YT'ers. I don't care for his super-great coverage of how the vehicle performs in niche situations. I don't value his videos and honestly never have. I have a grudge and I will hold it until I die. I am not alone in this view and I am not immune to criticism for it. However, I'm not going to act like he's Voldemort and subtweet him. This is directed straight at him and is filled with the anger of a thousand suns. Insert picture of me in a hoodie with arms outstretched.

EBEG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Pilot, 2019 Jetta
The dude loves Rivian. He evangelizes to millions of followers. For this, he receives pretty serious criticism on a board populated by Rivian enthusiasts. Criticism that will be read by dozens.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

The dude loves Rivian. He evangelizes to millions of followers. For this, he receives pretty serious criticism on a board populated by Rivian enthusiasts. Criticism that will be read by dozens.
This site has 11k members, not far behind his typical viewership.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
...@OutofSpecKyle is dead to me. I have a well-nurtured hatred for him, his channel and everything he's ever touched. I feed it like a prize plant growing a record-breaking pumpkin. I'm petty, I know, but, as I see it, he took someone else's R1T. He is the clearest example of "cutting the line" I've ever heard of. He even got called out by other YT'ers. I don't care for his super-great coverage of how the vehicle performs in niche situations. I don't value his videos and honestly never have. I have a grudge and I will hold it until I die. I am not alone in this view and I am not immune to criticism for it. However, I'm not going to act like he's Voldemort and subtweet him. This is directed straight at him and is filled with the anger of a thousand suns. Insert picture of me in a hoodie with arms outstretched.
If I ever have an enemy, I hope it is @Tango45, or it is at least outsourced to him, because we all deserve the best in life.
Sponsored