electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
is that what happened to this poor fellow on facebook
1660443071963.png

1660443121258.png
Doesn't look like this was caused by the axle, the outer CV looks like the victim in this case.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
Not sure how recalls work, but seems like a mighty good time to report to the nhtsa.

Scary issue!

Sponsored

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
I'm taking delivery on Tuesday. What should I look for to make sure my truck doesn't have issues with the ball joints/cv axels? I already got lock tight for the undertray bolts.

RivianBowerbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Wow, well I definitely have the exact same issue that Snazzy Labs had/has. It's definitely gotten far worse over the past couple weeks. There's a distinct click and feeling of looseness and slack in the drivetrain and the squeaking is very much present. I can hear it up to 40mph. I filed a service request in the app and Rivian called me the same day to ask a couple of questions. It's been sent to their repair planners.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Ironically, your video potentially helped identify an issue with one of the CV axles on my Corvette.

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I have the same tocking/clicking/clunking noise at low speed between accelerating and decelerating. Service lubed the half shafts which reduced the noise by about 80 percent, but the noise is still there and the drive train still feels loose. So disappointing.

Sponsored

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Acura TLX, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I'm taking delivery on Tuesday. What should I look for to make sure my truck doesn't have issues with the ball joints/cv axels? I already got lock tight for the undertray bolts.
I should hope not, but are there any potential issues with voiding warranties by doing anything to your mechanical components like re-torqueing the bolts or applying lock tight? Has there been any "right to work" precedence set?

Hindley_Milner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Small clicks when on / off accelerator I have…no squeaky-ness like Snazzy though…

But of note from video…power steering pump running like that for no reason is definitely part of the phantom drain problem. I’ve heard that same noise randomly when truck is locked and “asleep” and assumed it was battery cooling pump. 🤷‍♂️
The R1T stands alone in modern cars I've ever used where there is no steering lock whatsoever at any time. Even Teslas lock the steering until you present a key (or, oddly, start playing games). This is a concern for me not only because of the phantom drain, but because my kid keeps getting in it and cranking the steering on the pavement, leaving rubber marks...

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
The R1T stands alone in modern cars I've ever used where there is no steering lock whatsoever at any time. Even Teslas lock the steering until you present a key (or, oddly, start playing games). This is a concern for me not only because of the phantom drain, but because my kid keeps getting in it and cranking the steering on the pavement, leaving rubber marks...
Didn’t think of that. Good point.

Florida Panhandler

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Happy camper
Clubs

Is this upper ball joint failure?
Definitely some sort of catastrophic upper ball joint failure. The CV axle joint was destroyed in the process. This looks like a part supplier fault as the way these are assembled is for vehicle weight to seat the ball joint, not to separate. It seems the recent industry-wide auto parts quality issues may be at work here. We’ll see upon investigation.

joelster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
So I had Rivian Service pick up my truck on Friday to deal with the creaking and clunking at start and stop. They just let me know that my truck will be fished this afternoon and that they were replacing the half-shaft bolts. I will report back later and let y'all know if that did the trick.
Sponsored

Last edited: