Rivian R1T Delivery Day Checklist

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
It’s finally happening! Congrats @AdamL and @godfodder0901 and everyone else getting their trucks next week. Now that deliveries are finally starting for customers, I think we should start a discussion about creating a delivery day checklist. There are plenty of checklists already for the model Y, so I suggest we use the model Y checklist as a template and make edits/additions to the checklist for the R1T.

Here is a checklist for the model Y as a starting point. Can everyone getting delivery use this checklist and update it for R1T specific items?

https://www.macheforum.com/site/attachments/tesla-model-y-delivery-check-list_final-copy-pdf.3256/
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

The first things to be added are anything related to the truck bed.
1. tailgate function and alignment.
2. truck function and alignment
3. spare tire installed (if equipped) and inflated properly.
4. Power outlet function
5. Compressor function
6. Tonneau Cover function and alignment
7. Tow hitch and cover installed
9. Gear Tunnel door function and alignment (both sides)
10. Gear Tunnel Accessories install and function (camp kitchen, etc)
11. Gear Tunnel power outlet function
12. Compressor accessories in Gear Tunnel Door
13. Cargo cross bars included (if ordered). Check function

Just spit balling here. I’m sure I can think of more.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I’m not planning on going through an exhaustive checklist on delivery day. That’s what Rivian’s own PDI is for - unlike tesla they seem to actually do one, vs “roll the car off the line and straight To the customer”.
I’ll be paying them to do pre delivery checks via the delivery charges anyway.

just going to drive the damn thing.

if I find stuff wrong then I’ll get service to deal with it as it’s noticed. Same as any other car I’ve ever bought.

Last edited:

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Do people actually PDI their own vehicle to this level of detail? I mean, do your thing, but dang. This is stuff that is done at the dealer level in a dealership model - I assume there is a similar process for manufacturer direct, no? I could see doing a walk-around, but you won't see me with a clipboard and checklist like I'm a Rivian tech.

As someone who's done 1000s of customer vehicle handoffs, this would go in my "weird" category for customer delivery behavior.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do people actually PDI their own vehicle to this level of detail? I mean, do your thing, but dang. This is stuff that is done at the dealer level in a dealership model - I assume there is a similar process for manufacturer direct, no? I could see a walk-around, but you won't see me with a clipboard and checklist like I'm a Rivian tech.

As someone who's done 1000s of customer vehicle handoffs, this would go in my "weird" category for customer delivery behavior.
Almost as weird as people who don’t let a dealer PDI their car. as if they know better.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Do people actually PDI their own vehicle to this level of detail?
I think this comes from poor experience with Tesla vehicles. When I got mine in 2015, it was almost a necessity, because major things could be wrong. And this was still happening through the Model 3, for sure.

Hopefully Rivian is a different experience.

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
I think this comes from poor experience with Tesla vehicles. When I got mine in 2015, it was almost a necessity, because major things could be wrong. And this was still happening through the Model 3, for sure.

Hopefully Rivian is a different experience.
Ahh ok. I'm admittedly still learning about the EV space as a whole. I figured there must be a motivation behind the self-PDI, but didn't realize it came from something so egregious.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ahh ok. I'm admittedly still learning about the EV space as a whole. I figured there must be a motivation behind the self-PDI, but didn't realize it came from something so egregious.
Tesla basically does their end of line checks, then sticks the car on a transporter straight to the customer.

but to me there is no reason to assume this is the same as Tesla given rivian’s statements about how much they value quality.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
After years of being stiff armed, if the supermodel at the end of the bar pulled up and asked to go home with you, would you want to interview her first?

Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
It’s pretty sad. Not only have vehicles been missing things that you can literally just see with minimal effort, they have been notorious for missing stuff inside the vehicle.

Off the top of my head, I remember having a speaker in the A column that was simply not connected, causing a noticeable rattle, as well as a screw missing from a rocker panel, causing that panel to get damaged later and needing replacement. This was on a Model S.

They made it right, fixing these issues in my driveway (mobile ranger work is pretty awesome), but I personally am over the Tesla experience.

I’m risking a lot going to another brand-new company, but there isn’t a legacy manufacturer vehicle that has the vehicle experience of Tesla, while Rivian looks like it will be very similar.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Almost as weird as people who don’t let a dealer PDI their car. as if they know better.
Is that really a thing people do? I’ve never heard of it, I didn’t think it would be possible, and I’d never want to do it myself. I’d be concerned that could cause problems rather than prevent them by making any scratches, blemishes, etc. the buyer’s fault.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
What I’m genuinely curious about is has there been any ocean coast interior confirmations? It seems that I’ll be black mountain at this point, maybe somebody already mentioned that they’re doing it in batches, I don’t remember

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Is that really a thing people do? I’ve never heard of it, I didn’t think it would be possible, and I’d never want to do it myself. I’d be concerned that could cause problems rather than prevent them by making any scratches, blemishes, etc. the buyer’s fault.
I have never worked with a manufacturer that would allow a customer to PDI their own machine - it's 100% the dealer's responsibility and, perhaps more importantly, liability. Critical fastener torque, fluid level, control module checks, final assembly in some cases, etc are things that can't, or at least shouldn't, be performed by the owner. PDI is largely about safety and function, with fit and finish being secondary.

Again, I'm pretty ignorant about the manufacturer direct model, but I presume Rivian isn't going to gloss over the PDI step.

OP
OP
Longhorngirl

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
Tesla basically does their end of line checks, then sticks the car on a transporter straight to the customer.

but to me there is no reason to assume this is the same as Tesla given rivian’s statements about how much they value quality.
I agree. There is no reason to assume the fit and finish of a Rivian will be the same as Tesla. We can make no assumptions either way because almost all of the trucks delivered have been to employees.

Rivian saying they value quality is one thing. Actually being able to deliver on that is another. People seemed to have already forgot that RJ said last summer that communication would be improved and it only got worse. I am not going to take them at their word. Trust has to be earned.
Sponsored