Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I'd never even heard of a VehiCROSS. Those things look neat.

Scoop: The Rivian R2R Will Be A 500-HP Rally Wagon

https://carbuzz.com/news/scoop-rivians-next-product-will-blow-tesla-away

Rivian's third EV will be a powerful, capable rally-inspired wagon.

Leading up to the coronavirus-spawned shutdown earlier this year, electric vehicle startup Rivian was remarkably busy. The Michigan-based company, which has generated tons of positive buzz and attracted sizable investments from the likes of Ford and Amazon, is working to ready its Normal, Illinois factory to produce its first EV models - the R1T pickup and R1S SUV - but manufacturing faces delays due to Covid-19.

But long before Rivian's Illinois production plant was ever set to turn out a finished vehicle, the company had more than a vague idea of what would follow the R1T and R1S to market.

For its third vehicle, Rivian will borrow a play from Subaru, producing a vehicle that blurs the line between station wagon and crossover utility vehicle. The new car, dubbed the "R2R," has been described by our well-placed sources as something with the proportions sort of halfway between a Subaru WRX wagon and an Isuzu VehiCROSS - Isuzu's quirky, off-road-capable compact CUV from the late 1990s and early 2000s - except, of course, for the powertrain.

According to sources, total peak output for the R2R is said to be somewhere around 500 horsepower, and as a matter of course, will pack all-wheel drive and four motors.

This new info builds on what Rivian CEO Robert "RJ" Scaringe said about the vehicle back in 2018, who only hinted at the time that it would be a sort of "rally car" with more ground clearance.

Developing vehicles with off-road capability in mind is something that Rivian already has some experience in. Back in December, the EV newcomer released a headline-grabbing video of its R1T pickup performing a zero-radius "tank turn" - a maneuver made possible by the fact that each of the truck's four wheels is powered by its own, independent electric drive motor.

The Rivian R2R will have the same basic powertrain configuration, with quad motors, but with a lower output than the trucks. And, we're told, a more agreeable price point that the R1T truck and R1S SUV, too. So, if you were holding out for a 500 horsepower all-electric five-door backroad blaster, keep your eye on Rivian.
Sponsored

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Rivian has four models on the front burners: R1T, R1S, Lincoln SUV & Amazon vans (plural). Production is delayed, and it be 2022 before the four models to which Rivian is already committed are rolling off the lines in expected volumes. If demand exceeds production capacity (20,000 in the first full year of production), and this is quite possible, it could be 2023 by the time Rivian is ready to bring a new model to market. By then, the market could look pretty different. So, I'm not trying to crash the party, but I wouldn't be getting too jazzed about the R2R just yet.

OP
OP
Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I don't think anybody's expecting to see the R2R before the others have been out for at least a year. 500hp is interesting though. It must be a much smaller car for performance to be noteworthy compared to their first generation.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
What to do? I think the Rally car is more my style. Should I wait for it, or get the Truck when it becomes available. What a first world problem!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
What to do? I think the Rally car is more my style. Should I wait for it, or get the Truck when it becomes available. What a first world problem!
I was worried about how annoying it would be in a city to have a 200+" vehicle. So I got a used 2015 Mazda CX-9 with the intention of trading it in next year some time. Fortunately, I don't have to parallel park a lot. But if it does get annoying, I might go for the R2R if it's on the horizon when my number comes up next year.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Pherdnut, the Rivians will likely have a self-parking feature. You line up the truck, as you would if you were parallel parking, and let it park itself. For some self-parking capable vehicles, you don't even have to be in the vehicle when it parks itself. You exit, initiate the self-parking feature, by using your phone, and walk away. Pretty cool.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
If they can get a 6,000 pound tow rating out of the rally car, plus a 30 amp plug in for an RV, I would be sold.

Nuclearn8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 GX460, '05 Corolla
YES YES YES! I want one. Rivian is not taking preorder reservations yet, I asked.

Last edited:

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
A slightly elevated ground clearance compared to other BEV CUV would be a benefit for those living where snow and winter is a yearly manner. Another question remains at what price point will this vehicle arrive at?

Sponsored

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
New forum member and R1S reservation holder. Excited enough about Rivian that I'm also anticipating their next vehicle.

A wagon seems like an excellent choice -- as a purely qualitative observation, Subaru seems to have the "rugged wagon" market mostly to themselves, and I would guess that an EV wagon with more oomph than the Outback would have a lot of appeal, especially if the price is less than the R1T/S.

If Rivian can fit the same battery modules on a vehicle with better aerodynamics, then presumably the range would go up too, at least some.

I know everyone's preferences are different; for me, if the wagon were available concurrently with the R1T/S, I'd go for the wagon. Enough room for family, presumably still has decent storage space, longer range (maybe? probably?), and still the potential for incredible off-road performance, albeit with less ground clearance.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
I would hope all Rivian models arrive with 800 Volt battery packs.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I know the R2R is supposed to be some rally wagon, but I would sure like someone to build a BEV in a Wrangler/Bronco form factor. Put in 6 of Rivian’s battery modules, the removable roof that’s coming in 2022, and charge $57.5k.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R2R Rally Inspired Crossover-Wagon Details / Specs Rumored A3612F82-1FB0-47FA-80B9-8074ECC7ADA8

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
OP
OP
Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I'm on the same page. It better not look like an oompa loompa R1S though. ;)

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/rivian-wrangler-or-bronco.406/
If the vaccines go well, I think we might see the R2S before 2025. That was their target before they exceeded their investment goals by an insane amount. They'd probably want to beat Ford's hopefully-inevitable EV Bronco to market if they could. And I thought it was interesting they expanded their factory floor to accommodate the Amazon vans so far ahead of needing to build the vans. How soon are they going to need the space they reserved for their smaller models?

I do wonder if the Bronco doesn't complicate their partnership.
Sponsored