Sponsored

Rivian regenerative braking versus Tesla, standard regenerative braking comparison?

jaxrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Occupation
attorney
Can anybody tell me how Rivian’s lower regenerative braking compares to Teslas high or standard regenerative braking with Tesla brake hold.
Sponsored

technerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco, 2022 R1T, 2021 Model 3
Clubs

The Rivian regen is much more powerful than Tesla's, and stays more powerful, even when cold. Where my Tesla has almost no regen braking when cold. The Normal regen setting is still higher than Tesla's high regen.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
Agree with above. Have an R1T and a M3P, and regen is much stronger with the R1T. You get used to it pretty quickly, though.
This is great to hear! When we owned our Model 3, I always wished for stronger regenerative braking.

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
Does anyone have issues where the regen barely works? I get it frequently when driving down from mountains

Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Agree with above. Have an R1T and a M3P, and regen is much stronger with the R1T. You get used to it pretty quickly, though.
Even with the most recent software update? I thought there were reports of decreased regen and hold?

OP
OP

jaxrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Occupation
attorney
I am coming from a Taycan that has no regenerative braking and I am worried I will not be able to get used to the strong Rivian regenerative braking.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I am coming from a Taycan that has no regenerative braking and I am worried I will not be able to get used to the strong Rivian regenerative braking.
After driving with regen, you won’t ever want to drive without it. One pedal driving makes for a better driving experience IMO.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
After driving with regen, you won’t ever want to drive without it. One pedal driving makes for a better driving experience IMO.
💯

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
One great feature (among many) the Chevy Bolt has is a Regen on Demand steering wheel paddle, which allows drivers to apply additional regenerative braking manually. It's sounds tedious to use... but it's actually brilliant and becomes second nature after using it for a week or so.
I'd love to see Rivian and or Tesla add a Regen paddle to their vehicles as it brings fine regen control to a new level.

Last edited:

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

From my test drive, regen is super strong (good), but there's a razor thin line between acceleration and regen. It's difficult to coast which results in "herky-jerky" accel-decel while driving (less good).

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
From my test drive, regen is super strong (good), but there's a razor thin line between acceleration and regen. It's difficult to coast which results in "herky-jerky" accel-decel while driving (less good).
I noticed this as well when I rented a R1T for a day (especially on bumpier roads), hopefully a software update could fix the throttle mapping to resolve this as I don’t have the issue in my Tesla model Y

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

I had the same experience during my test drive. Having not driven an EV before, this was definitely something that was unusual for me. While I'm sure I'll get used to it, I wish Rivian and a "coast" or "creep" mode to help people ease into it. Also I'm afraid I have to let anyone drive in my place because one pedal driving is just something a majority of people are not used to.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Does anyone have issues where the regen barely works? I get it frequently when driving down from mountains
Don't charge the vehicle past 90% when coming down from a mountain. If the battery is full, it can't regen.
Sponsored