Sponsored

Rivian regenerative braking versus Tesla, standard regenerative braking comparison?

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
I am coming from a Taycan that has no regenerative braking and I am worried I will not be able to get used to the strong Rivian regenerative braking.
Just set the brake regen mode to Standard instead of High and you should be good. Standard approximates what a Tesla does and it is plenty. Still allows for one pedal driving unless you like driving very aggressively.
Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

One great feature (among many) the Chevy Bolt has is a Regen on Demand steering wheel paddle, which allows drivers to apply additional regenerative braking manually. It's sounds tedious to use... but it's actually brilliant and becomes second nature after using it for a week or so.
I'd love to see Rivian and or Tesla add a Regen paddle to their vehicles as it brings fine regen control to a new level.
The early pre production Rivians used to have regen paddles to increase or decrease regen which I thought was a good idea. It adds slight production complications, but as weird as it sounds, if I'm driving in the spring/summer months, I tend to drive barefoot. I was in New Zealand over Christmas and rented a tesla. What was annoying (and obviously a singular problem to me) was if I wanted to kick off my sandals mid drive, the one pedal regen would kick in and jerk the car. That's where in just that example, it would be nice to momentarily turn it off or decrease the intensity.

Before I get the "you have loose shoes under your pedals?!?!" comments, no, I usually slip them off and either chuck them behind me or under the front of the seat.

Also. Yes, I'm weird.

Edit - I also have stumps for fingers when it comes to typing on a phone. fixed a couple glaring spelling mistakes.

Last edited:

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
From my test drive, regen is super strong (good), but there's a razor thin line between acceleration and regen. It's difficult to coast which results in "herky-jerky" accel-decel while driving (less good).
You get used to it. There is no such thing as coasting, in any car actually, unless you bump the vehicle into neutral. I've driven Teslas for 10 years, and I find the RIvian Strong regen setting too powerful and for my foot, does result in herky jerky movement, so I drive with Standard regen and it works much better for me.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
The early pre production Rivians used to have regen paddles to increase or decrease regen which I thought was a good idea. It adds slight production complications, but as weird as it sounds, if I'm driving in the sprong/summer months, I tend to drive barefoot. I was in New Zealand over Christmas and rented a tesla. What was annoying (and obviously a singular problem to me) was if I wanted to kick off my sandals mid drive, the one pedal regen would kick in and jerk the car. That's where in just that example, it would be nice to momentarily turn it off or decrease the intensity.

Before I get the "you have loose shoes under your pedals?!?!" comments, no, I usually slip them off and either chuck them behind me or under the front of the seat.

Also. Yes, I'm weird.
Just temporarily use ACC

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I am coming from a Taycan that has no regenerative braking and I am worried I will not be able to get used to the strong Rivian regenerative braking.
First, you can enable regen on the Taycan, you just have to do it Every. Single. Time. you start driving.

Previous to my Taycan, I had a M3 and I fought the Taycan’s “coast” mode for a long time, until I tried it and liked it. It wasn’t hard for me to get used to regen again once I started driving the R1T, so o think you’ll be fine.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rivian's R1T electric pickup truck and R1S electric SUV have lower regenerative braking compared to Tesla's vehicles. Rivian's vehicles have a single-stage regen system that can be adjusted through the touchscreen, while Tesla's vehicles have a two-stage regen system that can be adjusted through the steering wheel paddles.

Tesla's vehicles also have a feature called "Brake Hold" which allows the driver to maintain the car's position on a hill, using the regen braking to hold the vehicle in place and reducing the need to use the brake pedal. This feature is not available in Rivian's vehicles.

In summary, Tesla's vehicles have a more advanced regenerative braking system that allows for more energy recovery and more driver control, but it is not clear which one is the better for the driver experience.
This sounds like an AI post because it's totally inaccurate.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I like the higher regen of the Rivian. It was my first vehicle with regen, and I wouldn't want it any less than the "high" setting I currently drive in. The regen is strong enough to function as the brake in day to day driving, so much so that for most trips I don't touch the brake pedal at all. This makes a true one pedal drive where my truck will be at the exact speed I want it to be all the time.

For where I live in the mountain foothills my ground is all over the place. The one pedal driving is made for this area and I wouldn't want something that didn't have it going forward.

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
Don't charge the vehicle past 90% when coming down from a mountain. If the battery is full, it can't regen.
I'm well below that soc. The majority of the regen gets greyed out and full regen only comes back after I accelerate a bit

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
This is my first EV. I run with regen set on high and never looked back. Of course, it is fully adjustable (using your right foot) and doesn't take more than a few short drives to get used to.

Sponsored

howler99

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX 350
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

Does anyone have issues where the regen barely works? I get it frequently when driving down from mountains
Yep, I live in mountains and get that frequently. The first time I was going down a long steep grade, "OMG, how do I stop this thing!?". Yup, I was that spoiled by the one-pedal driving.

I think it got a little better with the last update, but then we got hit with cold weather, so it's tough to say. I don't really understand it all the time because it seems like it came up with a 60% SOC and 40+ degree weather.

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
Yep, I live in mountains and get that frequently. The first time I was going down a long steep grade, "OMG, how do I stop this thing!?". Yup, I was that spoiled by the one-pedal driving.

I think it got a little better with the last update, but then we got hit with cold weather, so it's tough to say. I don't really understand it all the time because it seems like it came up with a 60% SOC and 40+ degree weather.
Phew, great to hear its not just me. I'm sure there's a reason for it, but it's jarring at first when you don't expect it!

State11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Defender D90
My R1T is in the shop and they rented me a Nissan Armada. I almost crashed the first time that I approached a stop sign in the Armada. I left off the accelerator and nothing happened....I'm like "what the hell is wrong with this thing?" before I remembered that I actually have to use the brakes. I then need to accelerate to merge onto the Interstate and was like "oh crap.....please, come on and move it before that truck runs over me". The Armada is also terrible in snow. We've had to resort to driving my wife's model 3w/ snow tires and plowing the road with it's low clearance vs risking our lives in the Armada.

As others have added, you will get used to the regenerative braking very quickly and likely find it much, much better. Plus, you may never need a set of new brake pads again.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
This isn't an AI regen 'story.'
Dropped off my truck for service this morning. My enterprise rental is a kia niro. It does have regen but requires the brake pedal to stop. It's also set up with minimal power immediately once you shift into drive or reverse just like an ICE vehicle. This immediately caught me off guard. There must be a setting but I can find it...it's all physical buttons!
Sponsored