Sponsored

Rivian regenerative braking versus Tesla, standard regenerative braking comparison?

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
I'm well below that soc. The majority of the regen gets greyed out and full regen only comes back after I accelerate a bit
Sorry, forgot to mention the other reason why regen won't work right away - cool weather (doesn't even have to be "cold"). If the truck is parked in 50 degree or cooler temperatures, then the vehicle must warm the battery before it can accept regen. So as you drive the vehicle, the (unfortunately) very efficient electric motor waste heat will eventually warm up the batteries, as will the batteries themselves.
Sponsored

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
We had a Mercedes B-class Electric for 3 years. One of the things I loved was the paddle shifters that instantly cycled through Regen levels.

There was High, Medium, Low and then “Auto”. I’m surprised more companies haven’t introduced an auto Regen setting. It was brilliant because it incorporated the forward facing radar and would automatically apply more regen when approaching another vehicle. It would allow the “rolling” like a normal car when coasting down a hill, but the second a vehicle in front of you began to slow Regen would kick in and begin to slow the car. We enjoyed the way it worked.

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
We had a Mercedes B-class Electric for 3 years. One of the things I loved was the paddle shifters that instantly cycled through Regen levels.

There was High, Medium, Low and then “Auto”. I’m surprised more companies haven’t introduced an auto Regen setting. It was brilliant because it incorporated the forward facing radar and would automatically apply more regen when approaching another vehicle. It would allow the “rolling” like a normal car when coasting down a hill, but the second a vehicle in front of you began to slow Regen would kick in and begin to slow the car. We enjoyed the way it worked.
i would argue you don't need any paddle shifters. give me a high regen (like on R1T) and i will modulate for stronger or weaker effect with my right foot instead of pressing some paddles.

also, no auto mode that i have to babysit because the technology is not to be trusted yet in all conditions.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
After driving with regen, you won’t ever want to drive without it. One pedal driving makes for a better driving experience IMO.
How do you position your foot? I love one pedal driving but my foot/ankle get tired and I find myself repositioning a lot resulting in lunging the truck a bit

John B

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3 P
Occupation
Professor
I have an R1T and also a Tesla M3P, and prior had a S P85+. The Rivian regen is much stronger than Tesla's, and I really like it better. I drive all on High regen. When I drive the Tesla now it feels lacking, and when I have to go for the brake I feel like I'm wasting energy, turning motion into heat instead of recharging the battery.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
How do you position your foot? I love one pedal driving but my foot/ankle get tired and I find myself repositioning a lot resulting in lunging the truck a bit
Never really thought about this. In my Tesla nothing unique. I’ve only spent a day or two in the Rivian with a rental, still waiting on my order, but with that no specific positioning that I can recall. I do remember the pedal throw was a lot longer in the R1T than the Tesla, which made for some more foot work.
Sponsored